March 29, 2023
I know that anything could happen at any time but it is important that we do all that we possibly can at the school level to keep the students in this building safe. It sickens me that these type of newsletters even must be written! It makes me sad that we are living in a time that we need to address how to protect our precious children from school shootings!
I want you all to know that I have asked the teachers to review safety protocols with our students. Please go over safety protocols with your children as well. We do not want to scare our children but we do want to remind them of what our safety protocols are and what to do in any emergency situation. We are blessed to have Officer Bankhead here at the school but we also have to do all that we can to protect our students and make safe decisions.
We practice weather and intruder drills monthly. We discuss safety procedures regularly but we will be discussing those again and in detail.
We will discuss the following:
- Do not prop doors
- Students should never open a door for anyone(this includes other students, teachers, staff, or any other adult even if they know them.) This one is always hard for our students because we have such kind and courteous students.
- Students, teachers and adults will not be using back doors unless there is an emergency.
- Parents should only enter through the front doors of the school and must check in at the front desk.
- No one should be on campus even the Field of Dreams during the school day unless they have checked in at the office.
- Teachers are instructed to report anyone on campus they see that does not have a name badge or looks suspicious.
I know this is a lot but I felt it was important to take another chance this month to review our safety procedures and protocols. I also felt it was important to remind parents to review things with their students and reinforce our protocols.
Please know we are blessed each day that we have the opportunity to be with your students and we want to do all that we can to keep them safe! Thank you for trusting your students to us each day!