Genetically Modified Foods
EQ: Are Genetically Modified/Engineered Crops Safe?
-Genetically modified crops have one or more genes from another organism, like another plant species.
-Genetic Engineering is when genes are directly manipulated.
-Genetic modification and genetic engineering are similar to each other.
-A pesticide is a substance that keeps pest away.
-Herbicides are a type of pesticide.
-New pesticides have to be approved and registered to make sure they don't cause negative affects on the environment.
-There have been protests before about the safety of genetically modified crops.
- Genetically modified crops have been extensively studied and found to be safe.
- Some are safer than organic foods
- Researchers have found no evidence that genetically modified foods pose no risks to humans or animals
- Research has also showed little to no evidence that genetically modified crops negatively affect the environment.
- With genetically modified crops, people use less natural resources.
- Some crops make more nutritious oils.
- Most of the research is not documented.
- The genes from genetically engineered crops were found in the neighboring fields.
- The changed genes engineered into commercial plants escaped into populations of weeds and unchanged crops.
- Genetically engineered crops can become "super weeds"
- Weeds that were genetically enhanced are called "super weeds". Super weeds resist pesticides and continue to grow and reduce other crops.
- Farmers spray toxic herbicides to control the weeds. The spraying results in soil-eroding operations and hiring weeding crews.