Boone Meadow Community Update
Week of May 3rd, 2020
Boone Meadow Families
This spring, as we've all faced these unexpected challenges, I want to thank our parents/guardians and our staff as you have served as co-teachers these past couple of months. A shout out to our teachers as they have risen to the challenge with grace, care, and excellence. Your dedication has kept children safe, engaged, and, most importantly, in community. Thank you.
Only three weeks of school remain for the 19-20 school year. As the weather continues to draw us outside, we understand engagement with remote learning may wane. Please continue to keep in contact with your child's teacher, Mrs. Sloan, or our office team should you have any needs, questions, or concerns. We are here to help.
A few items to note for the week ahead:
Family Input Survey: Our Family Input Survey is available through May 18th for families to provide feedback regarding the school year. Please see additional information below.
Staff/Teacher Appreciation Week: This week is Staff/Teacher Appreciation Week! Below are a few ideas to let a Team Meadow member or teacher know how much you care and appreciate them:
- Write a letter or send an email
- Take a photo of you and email it to your teacher.
- You could also make a drawing, painting, or create something original for them and share electronically.
- Create a Powerpoint, video, or presentation of some form which lists the reasons you are thankful for them
- Consider recognizing a teacher or staff member by giving them a ZEF EAGLE HONOR AWARD (see image below for more information)
Related Arts: Once again, our Related Arts team has provided a commercial to provide an overview of this week's ongoing opportunities. Be sure to click on the Related Arts preview to view dynamic and engaging learning opportunities available this week. More info is located below!
Supply Kits: We've received a few inquires regarding supply kits for next year. We have ordering information below. You can also access our supply lists for next year on our school website. Supply kits are available for order until June 15th.
Confidential Food Assistance from ZCS: If you are in need of any food assistance, please do not hesitate to use this link to set up a pick-up time for a food package from ZCS Food Service.
Lastly, know that we continue to be here for you and to assist as best we are able. Please do not hesitate to reach out with your questions or concerns.
Be kind to others, be kind to yourself, and stay well.
We miss you, and we are grateful for your partnership,
Counselor's Corner with Kristi Sloan
On May 6th for SEL learning, your children will be learning about Growth Mindset, and how to turn challenging situations into opportunities of growth. They will learn about Fixed Mindset vs. Growth Mindset. This visual is a great example of the way students can turn their fixed mindset into a growth mindset with the power of their words. Students will have access to this visual in their lesson for May 6th.
Family Input Survey
Dear Boone Meadow Families,
Thank you for taking time to provide feedback regarding your child's learning experience. Your input provides us the opportunity to reflect on our strengths and areas to strengthen. We readily admit that we, as a staff, must always strive to grow in our work and practices.
- Our staff is committed to continuity in relationship with students and families whenever possible. In doing so, we believe we can serve students and families better. Therefore, it is our goal for students to remain with their classroom teacher for more than one year when possible.
- For the upcoming 2020-21 school year, we plan to continue a looping model with 1st grade to 2nd grade. Likewise, we desire to do the same with 3rd grade to 4th grade. Please note: As enrollment changes or other placement needs must be considered, continued placements are not guaranteed.
- Please, do not include requests for specific teachers.
Should you desire to share input and feedback, please complete the survey by Monday, May 18th. This will allow us the opportunity to adequately review your input before the end of the school year.
To access, click here: Family Input Survey
Dine For Dollars - All Day on Tuesday, May 12th
Next Year's School Supplies
Our school has once again partnered with 1st Day School Supplies in order to assist families with next year's classroom supplies. You can get the exact supplies your teachers requested without the hassle of back to school shopping!
- All kits will be delivered to your student's classroom prior to the first day of school.
- PTO and the school receive no proceeds from the service. The desire is to simply provide a convenient service at a reasonable price.
Note: Deadline to order is June 15.
Any questions can be directed to Andrea Wickard at email@example.com
BME Supply Link: https://www.1stdayschoolsupplies.com/kits.php?sid=1177525)
Kindergarten Pre-Registration for the 20-21 school year -
- If you already pre-registered for Kindergarten Round Up, you need to do nothing at this time.
- We are currently accepting kindergarten registrations for families/students that have not yet registered. Please click on the link below to begin the registration process.
- When we are able to return to school, our team will schedule a special time for you and your child to come to our school and learn about kindergarten. This Kindy experience will most likely occur this summer.
- If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org
ZCS Kindergarten pre-registration link: http://secure.infosnap.com/family/gosnap.aspx?action=22262&culture=en
Not returning to Boone Meadow or Zionsville Community Schools next year?
If your family plans are moving you away from BME or ZCS for the 2020-2021 school year, please email our amazing Administrative Assistant/Registrar, Beth Kiel, at email@example.com.
Thank you for your assistance as we begin preparation for the upcoming school year!
Hussey Mayfield Public Library
Hussey Mayfield Memorial Public Library (the Zionsville Public Library) is still closed, but they have set up a way for people who don't have a library card to register online and get a "card" (an email with card number and pin) within 24 hours.
This is GREAT news for our staff/students/community, because the public library has an absolute treasure trove of digital resources that can be accessed during this time of e-learning.
Here are the instructions to get signed up for a card while the library is closed:
Get a Library Card within 24-Hours
Visit our Get a Card page , fill out the application, and all eligible applicants will receive an email within 24-hours with their new, personal Library Card information.
Please fill out an application for each person in your family who wants their own card. ALL ages are welcome to receive a card.
Cards issued while we are closed will expire within 6 months from the date of issue. When the Library reopens, please bring your valid ID to the Library to extend your expiration date.
Counselor's Corner: Resources
Help your family to grow closer and increase your resilience. This link will take you to a parent resource about family resilience.
Also, don’t forget about our counselor as a resource for your family. If you would like to contact Kristi Sloan, our School Counselor, please email her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sesame Street Little Children, Big Challenges
Young children face new challenges at every age and stage. That’s why it’s so important to help them build the skills they need to become resilient. With self-confidence and the ability to express themselves, little ones will be able to handle whatever may come their way and will just keep getting stronger.
How to Talk to your Kids About Coronavirus
This is an article written by PBS Kids about how to talk to children about coronavirus. You will find tips for handwashing, covering coughs, and practicing healthy habits.
Support for Helpers during Coronavirus
Resources from the Fred Rogers Center in addition to partner organizations for those of you looking for ways to create learning opportunities and structure for children.
Confidential Food Assistance from ZCS
Please use this link to set up a pick-up time for a food package from ZCS Food Service.
Assistance from the Boys and Girls Club
The Boys and Girls Club will also be offering a take out evening meal at the Lebanon Unit, 403 West Main Street. The offering is available to Club members and any community member in need during these difficult times.
Meals will be available Monday through Friday beginning March 16 - March 27 from 4:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. with a limit of eight carry-out meals per family. We are initially preparing meals for at least 100 people each day and will make adjustments as needed.
Zionsville Food Pantry
4775 W. 116th St, Zionsville
Phone 317-873-8137, ext. 1087
Hours of Operation on Thursdays from 5-6 pm and Fridays from 12-2 pm
The Caring Center
1230 Ransdell Ct.
Hours of Operation on Mondays & Wednesdays from 8 am - 2 pm
Hours of Operation on Tuesdays, Thursdays & Fridays from 11 am - 5 pm
(Closed on 3rd Tuesday and 4th Thursday of each month.)