September 6, 2019
We encourage parents and community members to share their time and knowledge with our students by becoming authorized volunteers. Complete a volunteer application today and return to any school building.
If you hold a bachelor's degree, obtaining a substitute authorization is easy. Sign up to become a sub today through the Heartland Area Education Agency!
A Wealth of Information Awaits
Our website (www.knoxville.k12.ia.us) is a great source of endless information for parents, students and community members. If it's happening, it is most likely to be found within the many pages and links on our website. Whether on a calendar entry, listed on a page within our site, or in the announcements section, we want you to be in the know. Our website is home to information such as: nutrition menus, student handbook, high school course offerings, class schedules for each school building, student assignments in Canvas and grades in JMC to city bus stops, they are all linked from our website. We have it all accessible for you 24/7! If you can't find what you are looking for, please call or email for assistance in locating it: Lisa.Willis@KCSD.k12.ia.us or 641-842-6551 option 1.
Signing Day for the Class of 2032
Congratulations Kindergarten families! Your child has officially signed their "Certificate of Intent" to graduate with the class of 2032!
Last week was a big week at West Elementary as we hosted our first "Kindergarten Signing Day". Every single kindergarten student signed their letter of intent and got their picture taken. We plan to hold this event annually with our Kindergarten students. We think this is a great momento for students and their families to keep as they officially become a part of our Panther Family. It will be neat to look back on these pictures and certificates as your students graduate from high school in 2032. Feel free to tag your children if you would like. There will also be a link shared with families by their teacher if they would like to download a higher quality photo. We hope you enjoy these photos as much as we did taking them!
National Library Card Signup Month
First graders are hard at work making projects, learning literacy centers, reading our Journey’s material, and enjoying the High School band practice at recess!
September is Suicide Awareness Month
DMACC Career Discovery Days
DMACC Career Discovery Days are open to 9th–12th grade students, educators and parents. Explore career pathways through hands-on activity sessions, learn about educational opportunities by hearing from DMACC instructors, and connect to future careers and professionals by touring related businesses. Click here for more information.
Knoxville Activities Minute
Upcoming home events -
* Tue, Sep. 10: 8/7 football v. Albia - 8th at 430 PM, 7th to follow
* Tue, Sep. 10: JV2/JV1/V volleyball v. Albia - JV2/JV1 at 530 PM, Varsity at 715 PM
* Thu, Sep. 12: 8 volleyball v. Oskaloosa - 430 PM
Big wins this past week - football over Fairfield; volleyball over Carlisle, Oskaloosa, Ottumwa and Chariton; Norah Pearson wins the girls cross country races at the Knoxville Early Bird and Albia Invitational!!
Get schedules for all extra-curricular middle school and high school activities by going to www.knoxville.k12.ia.us and then clicking on "Activity Calendar". You can even sign-up for email notifications so whenever we make a change to a schedule - you can be notified immediately.
Follow the Knoxville Activities Department on Instagram! @knoxvilleactivities
Parade: Friday, Oct. 11, at 3 p.m. The theme this year is “Panthers Strike Back”!
Sports Injury Clinic: Every Saturday
Important Boxtops for Educations Changes
I hope you all had a wonderful summer and welcome back to school! As some of you may have heard, there are some important changes coming to the Box Tops for Education Program. Please make sure and turn in all the "old" Box Tops that you have been saving at your earliest convenience. Just a reminder, we are unable to submit expired Box Tops so those need thrown away. Box Tops can be attached to a collection sheet or just put into a zip lock baggie or envelope. No need to trim them up, just send them to school with your student.
NEW PROGRAM FAQS
Are Box Tops clips going away?
- Eventually, yes, the Box Tops program will become digital-only. Over the summer you’ll see some participating brands begin to change their packaging from a physical Box Tops clip to the new Box Tops icon
- With thousands of products and hundreds of brands, this will take some time, but that will be the eventual direction of the program.
- We’ll continue to honor all physical clips until they reach their expiration dates, as long as they are validly submitted by coordinators, so keep clipping and sending them to your school!
How does the new program work?
- At its core, the program structure and purpose remain the same – to help schools get what they need. The main difference is how you’ll earn – instead of clipping, all Box Tops will be earned digitally via receipt scan.
- You’ll now download the new and improved, user-friendly Box Tops app, register and select a school, and then scan an eligible receipt containing Box Tops products. You’ll earn 10 cents for each Box Tops product purchased plus extra earnings for any Bonus Box Tops opportunities. The app will automatically add Box Tops to your school’s earnings online, giving visibility to see how you are supporting your school in real-time.
Why are you making this change?
- When the program began over 22 years ago, sending in clips was really the only way to run the program. Over the years, technology has advanced at incredible rates opening all kinds of new opportunities.
- We’re making this change for many reasons, but primarily to modernize the program for the next generation of participants. Mobile phone usage, especially smart phones, has reached a tipping point and people want to have “instant gratification,” seeing how their contributions are impacting their school. With this new technology we can connect an entire school community together in a seamless way to earn for their school.
- Additionally, we also know that it can be hard for schools to earn without strong coordinator support. With digital receipt scanning, now anyone can earn for any school.
- On the operational side, we know that managing expiration dates on packaging can be a huge challenge for our brands, and a frustrating experience for Box Tops Coordinators when things don’t work quite as planned.
- And finally, we know that checking expiration dates, counting and bundling clips take a lot of work for schools – and that mailing millions of clips across the country isn’t great for the planet. By eliminating the postage, transportation and shipping of clips, we reduce costs for schools, as well as help reduce our carbon footprint.
Can I still send in regular Box Tops clips?
- Yes! Keep clipping regular Box Tops and sending them to your schools as long as you continue to find them on packages. Your school will still get credit for all Box Tops validly submitted by your school’s coordinator. (Don’t send in the new Box Tops icon used to mark products that are eligible for Box Tops earnings via receipt scan in the new Box Tops App.)
- Remember to scan your receipt in the Box Tops App, too: most brand teams are awarding both the receipt scan earnings and the traditional Clip earnings for a single item purchase during this time of transition.
What about the products I buy that still have clippable Box Tops on them?
- Clip those Box Tops! We will continue to accept Clipped Box Tops until they expire, as long as they are validly submitted by your school’s coordinator. So keep sending them to your school!
- More good news: you can ‘double dip’ during the packaging transition by clipping the physical Box Tops AND scanning your receipt with those participating items.
- Please note, a few brands are not participating in the ‘double dip’. Receipts with these items will return a message in the App that they are ‘clip only’ with a reminder to submit the physical Box Top from the package to their participating school.
Our family often shops online; how will that work?
- Great news! If you shop for groceries online, you can now submit your email receipts from select retailers to earn Box Tops for your school. To ensure that earnings are properly credited to your account:
1. Make sure you have a Box Tops for Education account (you can create one via the Box Tops app or website)
2. Forward your email receipt to email@example.com using the same email that’s associated with your BTFE account
3. Box Tops will be credited within 10 business days – view your earnings detail in the MY EARNINGS section of the app or website
The following email receipts are currently eligible (as of July 17, 2019):
- Target Pick-Up/Drive-Up
- Walmart Grocery
For purchases from online retailers not listed above, please follow the process below.
- 1. Take a screen shot (or multiple) of your entire receipt from your online purchase, including retailer name, all items, transaction total, and date of purchase
2. Open the Box Tops Contact Us form
3. In the Comments field, please include:
- Your email address
- Your name
- Your school’s name
- The amount of Box Tops earned with the purchases from that receipt
Please continue to support this wonderful program for our schools!
Knoxville Elementary PTO Box Top Coordinator
Neighbor Helping Neighbor
KCSD ADMIN. OFFICE
Stay connected by frequenting our website or following us on social media!
- High School: www.facebook.com/KHSPanthers/ & twitter.com/KHS_Panthers
- Middle School: www.facebook.com/PanthersKMS/ & twitter.com/Panthers_KMS
- Northstar: www.facebook.com/NorthstarElementary/ & twitter.com/MrKeitges
- West: www.facebook.com/knoxvillewestelementary/ & twitter.com/pantherswest
Rate us on greatschools.org!