The Paw Print
Bi-Monthly Principal Newsletter ~ Week of January 24th
Happy New Year!
It has been a very busy time this past month as we've returned from break. Our students and staff have been doing their best to stay healthy, continue learning and making up work as needed when absent. Thank you for continuing to support your child, our teachers and the office staff as we navigate this recent surge which has caused many absences and staff shortages here at Brookhaven and across the district.
As ever, our students have shown up as the wonderful, respectful and engaged students that we expect and acknowledge through our BEAR Necessities and expectations. All of our subs, from myself, to district office staff and (when we can get them) substitute teachers continue to share with me what polite, helpful, engaged and respectful students we have here at Brookhaven. I thank them often but please take a moment at home to thank them as well for being the model students that demonstrate to us daily!
Lastly, please see some of the important reminders below regarding Covid protocols and procedures. We want to continue to provide a safe and healthy school environment as possible. Thank you for your continued support!
Vision and Hearing Screening
If you would like to have your child opt out of this screening, please see this letter for the process to opt your child out.
School Choice Applications
If you currently have a Choice Transfer to Brookhaven, it will take you all the way through eighth grade at Tuffree MS. You do not need to reapply yearly.
PCR Test Process
**If your child takes a school PCR test, please return it to school by 1 pm the next day for the daily pick up. These tests are being picked up daily to be sent to the lab for results.
Upcoming Events and Calendar
- January 25th - Student Council Jersey Day
- January 24th - 6th Gr. Camp Testing Paperwork Due
- January 31st - 6th Gr. Final Camp Fee Due - make check payable to Brookhaven PTA
- February 1st - Vision and Hearing Screening
Brookhaven PTA News
We continue to thank our PTA Board and ALL our parent volunteers that make our school such a great place for our kids to learn and grow!
- We have a few Board positions open for the upcoming 2022-23 school year, including Board President, Treasurer, Reflections Coordinator, Yearbook, Family Nights and Funky Friday. Please email email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org if you're interested or have questions.
- Please click here to join our fabulous PTA! Brookhaven PTA membership is open to everyone ~ students, parents, grandparents, alumni and supporters. Your membership helps fund school assemblies, book fairs, field trip transportation, classroom supplies, library books and more!
We are very fortunate to have a dedicated, hardworking and generous PTA at Brookhaven! We have PTA President this year, Mrs. Traci Larson! If you are interested in being a part of our PTA and committees throughout the year, please get in touch with Traci here: email@example.com
Attendance and Health Reminders
- School starts at 7:50 each day and students are expected to be on their assigned playground by 7:45 am. We close the gates promptly at 7:50 am each day. Students arriving after that time will need to go through the office to check in prior to going to their classroom and will be marked tardy. Please plan accordingly each morning to ensure that students arrive on time, no later than 7:45 am, ready to learn. As a reminder, the gates open at 7:35 each morning.
- Students should have all of the materials necessary for each day including homework, lunches, water bottles and, if applicable, their musical instrument. Students are learning about responsibility and accountability when it comes to these items, so we encourage parents to NOT drop off forgotten items. All students are able to receive a school lunch for free; they just need to order one with the daily lunch count. If homework or instruments are forgotten, it is a valuable lesson learned for students that, typically, doesn't happen again.
- If your child is sick or has symptoms of Covid, they should not attend school
- You must call the school attendance line to report all absences
- Please leave specific details of your child's symptoms and we'll notify you of their return date
- Please review the Student Symptom Tree to help guide you with questions regarding Covid symptoms and next steps
Thank you for wearing your mask each time you enter the school office or any school building. We appreciate everyone's diligence in completing the daily "Shared Responsibility" in checking for symptoms and keeping students home when they are ill. Together we'll make it through the year in keeping everyone healthy and well. Being back together in person is so wonderful!
On-Going Mitigating Measures
- Shared Responsibility Symptom Screening should be done daily prior to the arrival of school. If your child has COVID symptoms, they must stay home.
- Everyone will wear a mask indoors, regardless of vaccination status. Masks are optional outdoors.
- Handwashing stations are located around campus and hand sanitizer is located at the entrance of every classroom.
- Good hygiene habits will be taught and encouraged.
Helpful and Important Links
Online Data Confirmation ~ This MUST be updated for all students.