Building Our Future-Ready Skills
Technological opportunities to help you grow! @MVeLearn
August 22, 2018
Kelly Jones' Kindergarten!
Diagnostic Done? Now What?
15 Collaborative Tools for Your Classroom That Are NOT Google
From the DigCit Corner
From Vicki Davis, the Cool Cat Teacher!
Get Inspired Remember why your teaching is so important.
- Transform Learning this School Year with Eric Sheninger
- What 41 Years of Teaching Taught Me with Karen Van Duyn - this state teacher of the year finalist moved me to tears and reminded me why I do this. Love this story!
- 5 Ways to Transform your Classroom into a Voyage of Discovery with Sarah Reed
- To Reach the Unreachable Star with Kim Clayton
- How to think about Math. Inspiring Math Excellence in the Classroom with Po-Shen Loh (US Math Olympiad Coach)
- Let's make PD great. 5 Simple Ways to Improve Teacher Professional Development
School Improvement Ideas
- 5 Mistakes Teachers Make the First Week of School with Linda Kardamis
- Move to flexible seating. Flexible Seating: Getting Rid of Cemetery Style Seating in the Classroom with Bill Selak
- How to make sure every child has a connection with teachers.
- Creating a Nurturing Environment for Kids with Nancy Blair - principals should listen to this show! Nancy's idea for helping make sure every child has a connection is solid gold. Share this with your principal.
- How to get organized. 10 Ways to Tackle Back to School Like a Pro in a sponsored post I wrote for Staples about my favorite school supplies, organization techniques, and THE teacher planner book I love most!
- Communicate with Parents. Why Bloomz is the Best Parent-Teacher Communication System for Me - the best software we've implemented at my school is Bloomz. They have a school-wide parent-teacher communication system called Bloomz. It is fantastic. In this sponsored post, I compare Bloomz to other systems out there.
- Think about homework. 5 Ways to Hack Homework and Get Better Results with Connie Hamilton
- What Actually Works in Edtech? with Tom Murray
- 23 GSuite Ideas to Excite Your Students about Learning with Eric Curts
- Amp up flipped learning and your class presentations. 3 Ways to Hack Classroom Presentationswith James Sturtevant - he uses Edpuzzle, Peardeck, and Presentation Zen.
- Cool way to make student introductions. Flipgrid: 6 Fun Ideas to Engage Learners in Conversation with Teryl Magee
- Classrooms are putting in Amazon Alexa. Here's why. Amazon Alexa in the Classroom with Bill Selak
Social Media and Literacies
- Digital Leadership with Students and Social Media with Jennifer Casa-Todd
- Fake News Lesson Plan Ideas with Jennifer Carey
Free Lesson Plans for Classic Literature Teachers
- Free literature lesson plans. Owl Eyes (an amazing FREE web-app that lets kids and teachers collaborate inside classic books) in sponsoring next week's show. But until August 14, they are giving away 16 free lesson plans for literature teachers on Teacher's Pay Teachers. You should download them now. (MacBeth, The Canterbury Tales, The Cask of Amontillado, The Rime of the Ancient Mariner, The Scarlet Letter, Hamlet, and more)
You Asked For It! We Now Have TYPESY! (K-5)
Elementary teachers and students will use their CLEVER login to enter the Typesy program.
Join us in the West Elementary WSI MakerLab for a Typesy Training Webinar on Aug. 30th!
Typesy Training Webinar
Thursday, Aug. 30th, 3-3:30pm
WSI Lab (West Elementary)
What: Learn how to use the program from Typesy trainers
NEARPOD Training with Shawn Grey
Friday, Sep. 7th, 8am-3:30pm
MVJHS SHARP Lab
- Start and end time: 8:00am - 3:30pm CT
- Number of Sessions: Teacher work time during the day and an all staff session 2:45 - 3:30pm
- Location: Mount Vernon Junior High School - 701 Tile Factory Road, Mt Vernon, IN 47620
- Room location: SHARP Lab 2nd floor (flexible seating)
- How many: Grade levels 6-12 during the day. Small groups of 10. for the 2:45 - 3:30 possibly 20
- Experience level(s): Beginners to Advanced
- Grade level(s): 6-8 at 2:45 we will invite K-5 also
- Subject area(s): Everything
- Will everyone have a Nearpod license? some do, others don't
- Specific learning goals: Introduce the power and ease of engaging students with Nearpod.
- Special training requests: Help teachers become familiar with the Library, how to Explore, how to use the tools embedded in Nearpod, and how to create their own presentations.