Green & Growing
Franklin County 4-H News - October 2018 - Issue 2
Franklin County 4-H Recognition Program - REGISTER NOW!
Monday, Oct. 29th 2018 at 6pm
2201 Fred Taylor Drive
We encourage all members and families to attend. All 4-H members that register to attend will have their name, club, and years in 4-H displayed on the screen above the stage as their name is read and the member goes up on stage to be recognized.
4-H members who filled out the following forms will receive special recognition at this event:
- Cloverbud Pin
- Clover Award Pins (Gold, Silver, Bronze)
- Leadership Pin
- Community Service Pin
- Public Speaking Pin
(Program begins promptly at 6:30)
RSVP BY OCTOBER 23 in order for your name to be included above the stage that evening.
Camp Opportunity for Teens! - Register by Oct. 22
Carving New Ideas is a statewide teen leadership camping opportunity for any 4-H members in grades 8-12. The focus is on improving skills in critical thinking and program facilitation. This unique event is planned and facilitated by the Collegiate 4-H Club at The Ohio State University. The weekend begins on Friday night at 4-H Camp Ohio in St. Louisville, Ohio, with check-in between 6:30pm and 8:00pm.
You'll have a ton of fun meeting other teens from around Ohio, learning more about yourself and exploring how you can grow into an amazing leader. Campers will pack up and head home on Sunday at 10:30am, ready to move forward refreshed and to lead their communities in healthy initiatives. Don’t miss out on this incredible event - bunks sell out fast! Register today at go.osu.edu/CNI18.
Camp Counselor Applications - DEADLINE OCTOBER 26
Important - New and returning counselors must apply. All applicants, new and returning, must have their club advisor complete a Member in Good Standing Form in addition to filling out the online application. Note that applicants that were not counselors in 2018, need to be collect references prior to the deadline of October 26.
Do Not Wait Until the Last Minute! Failure to plan on your part is not the fault of your references or your club advisor.
- Must be a 4-H member in good standing & complete at least one project
- Must be at least 14 years old by the start of camp (June 17, 2019)
- Must be able to get transportation to meetings and events as needed
- Must complete a minimum of 24 hours of training
- Must attend a minimum of seven counselor training meetings
- Must complete Child Abuse Awareness training
- Must sign Standards of Behaviors and complete the Code of Conduct form
- All applicants must submit a completed Member in Good Standing Form
- Applicants that were not counselors in 2018 must submit two completed references
- Applicants who are 18 years old or older as of April 17, 2019 must also submit to a background check
Franklin County 4-H Teen Leaders Council Application Deadline
You’re Invited to apply to be on the Franklin County Teen Leaders Council for 2019. We are looking for Franklin County 4-H members who are at least 13 years old or in the 7th grade. Our meetings will mostly be held the 4th or 5th Tuesday of every month from 6:30-8:30. The location will usually be at the Franklin County Extension Office located at, 530 W. Spring St. Columbus, Ohio 43215.
The Teen Leaders Council is a Franklin County 4-H club that focuses on preparing teens to be caring and contributing leaders through educational and leadership opportunities. Other opportunities will include fun outings and service learning projects.
Tentative Teen Leaders Council Calendar
(All Dates and Times are subject to change)
January 22, 2019 6:30-8:30 Planning for officer training and Winter Fair.
February 9, 2019 10am-12pm Winter Project Fair, Officer Training
April 23, 2019 6:30-8:30pm
May 28, 2019 6:30-8:30pm
August 27, 2019 6:30-8:30pm
September 24, 2019 6:30-8:30pm
October 22, 2019 6:30-8:30pm
November 26, 2019 6:30-8:30pmDecember 16, 2019 6:30-8:30pm
Interested in applying to serve on the Franklin County Teen Leaders Council?
Franklin County Fair (Ag Society) Annual Meeting
Advisor Appreciation & Enrichment Night
2019 Family Guide Now Available Online
Print copies will be available at the Franklin County Extension office in November.
DATES FOR YOUR CALENDAR
(Subject to Change)
October 26, 2018, Deadline to submit registration for Carving New Ideas Camp
October 26, 2018, Deadline to submit 2019 Camp Counselor Applications
October 29, 2018, 6pm - 4-H Recognition Program (Ohio 4-H Center)November 5, 2018, 7pm - 4-H Horse Advisory Committee Meeting (Fairgrounds)
November 7, 2018, Camp Counselor Interviews
November 14, 2108, 7pm - Franklin County 4-H Council
November 16-18, 2018, Carving New Ideas Teen Camp
January 1, 2019 - Market Steer/Heifer Possession Deadline for Franklin Co Fair
January 14, 2019 - Volunteer Appreciation & Enrichment Night
January 22, 2019- Ohio 4-H Achievement Forms Due to the Extension Office
January 23, 2019- Snow date for the Volunteer Appreciation & Enrichment Night
January 29, 2019 - New 4-H Volunteer Advisor Orientation
February 9, 2019, 10am - Winter Project Fair
February 9, 2019, 12:30pm - Officer Training
April 1, 2019 - 4-H Enrollment Deadline
June 8, 2019 - Ohio 4-H Cloverbot Challenge
June 17-21, 2019 - Franklin County 4-H Camp
July 10, 2019 - Livestock Evaluations
More dates coming soon.
4-H Clubs with Horses
If your club has horse project members (not Horseless Horse), you are required to send a club advisor to the 4-H Horse Advisory Committee meetings. These usually take place the first Monday of each month at the fairgrounds and begin at 7pm. The next meeting is November 5.
The many shows, clinics, and activities for horse members cannot take place without your club support and help. Please make an effort to participate.
New 4-H Volunteer Advisor Orientation
January 29, 2019, 6:30pm (Extension Office - 530 W Spring St.)
If you are interested in becoming a 4-H volunteer or attending the orientation please contact Christina Byrd at email@example.com.
2019 Changes for Rabbit Projects
Changes for Pet Rabbits
Beginning in 2019, there will be a change to what rabbit projects stay in the barn and show in the breed show at the Franklin County Fair.
- Pet Rabbit Projects will no longer stay in the barn and show in the breed show at the Franklin County Fair. A pet rabbit will participate in the new Companion Animal Show that is anticipated to take place on Wednesday morning (July 17) of the fair in the tent.
- Pet Rabbits will be brought to the fair for the companion animal show and then taken home following the companion animal show.
- The companion animal show, while still being finalized, should include some fun show components and possibly a bunny hop competition. The rabbit fun show that was previously held at the fair is expected to be discontinued.
- Pet rabbit projects should complete their book, make an educational display/poster, and participate in the companion animal show.
- Pet Rabbits will not participate in the livestock evaluations that take place the week before the fair. Pet Rabbit projects will go through interview evaluations at the Companion Animal Show during the fair.
- Pet Rabbit projects are eligible to be chosen for State Fair Selection to represent the county at the Ohio State Fair Companion Animal Day.
Breeding Rabbits and Market Rabbits
No changes are expected to be made to Breeding or Market Rabbit projects.
- Members who previously took a Pet Rabbit Project that would like to take their rabbit as a breeding rabbit in 2019 may do so if they would like to participate in the Rabbit Breed Show and have their rabbit stay in the barn. Breeding your rabbit is not a requirement for completing the Breeding Rabbit Project, although it is a good learning experience.
- Spayed or neutered rabbits are not breeding rabbits. If your rabbit is spayed or neutered, you should take the Pet Rabbit Project.
These changes are meant to maintain the true educational purpose of a breed show and to mirror the breed show and companion animal day at The Ohio State Fair. We anticipate that not having pet rabbits in the barn will also reduce the heat stress put on some of the rabbits that might be house rabbits that are used to air conditioning.
Amazon Smile Donations
Select Franklin County 4-H Council as your charity now by clicking this link:
Kroger Community Rewards
Register here: https://www.kroger.com/account/enrollCommunityRewardsNow
OSU Extension, Franklin
For an accessible format of this publication, visit cfaes.osu.edu/accessibility.