Mrs. Lyons' Newsletter
Week of September 12, 2016
Mark Your Calendar:
September 22: Grandparent's Day for last names M-Z
September 23: Grandparent's Day for last names A-L
September 27: Stagecoach's 10th Birthday Celebration from 5:30-7:00 pm.
October 13: Fall Pictures
October 18: Parent Teacher Conferences
October 20: Parent Teacher Conferences
October 21: No School
- Spelling: We will begin working on new words this week. Students were given a copy to practice at home to prepare for our test. If your child is studying pink, purple, or yellow words, they will test this Friday.
- Reading: This week we will continue reading The Trumpet of the Swan by E.B. White. As we read, we will explore the strategies good readers use to comprehend and respond to the text. Students are strongly encouraged to read at home every night, even if it is 10 minutes here and there.
- Writing: We will continue studying personal narratives, stories that we actually personally experienced. With your child, brainstorm memorable events that might make good stories. Examples: vacations, birthdays, special family or friend gatherings, etc.
- Math: We will be learning about subtraction using the standard algorithm. At home, students should be practicing their multiplication facts. This week our focus will be practicing the 4X tables. Check out www.multiplication.com/games for fun multiplication games. See the button below for a link to the website. Students may also want to work on Front Row for math practice. See the button below for the link and class code.
- Science: We will begin a unit on Flight and Force.
- Social Studies: We will learn about the U.S. Constitution and how it affects our lives as citizens.