Friday Feedback - Let's Not Forget
It's All About Relationships!!
Capturing Kids' Hearts - https://flippengroup.com/education-solutions/
With so many of our students having been exposed to some form of adverse childhood experience already in their young lives we have to work harder than ever to establish a caring relationship with them to help reduce their stress and put their brains in a calmer state; knowing they are safe and cared for will help ensure they reach their maximum potential and beyond.
Here is a review of the keys to Capturing Kids' Hearts to help us finish strong -
1. Strive to Excel and bring the passion daily; I naturally default to "average" which is not unusual but our kids deserve our best every single day.
2. EXCEL is defined by the Flippen Group as -
- Engage - Meet and greet every student positively at the door every single day; shake each and every student's hand. This is the foundation for strong relationships. Be sincere.
- X-Plore - Share "Good Things" every day for 3-5 minutes to start each and every class; through this process you can discover what kids' needs are that day and get in touch with where the students are personally, emotionally, and academically. Kids must feel safe! Build a solid, safe and positive classroom culture where kids can have fun!
- Communicate - a. that we care about the students, what they are learning and it's importance b. the purpose of the day and the day's lesson; communicate the content and connection to real-world benefits. Bring the energy! Why is this important to know and learn?!
- Empower - Empowerment occurs when students gain the ability to "use and do" the things they have been taught. Possessing the same skills as experts is the goal of education. When students can DO/Demonstrate what has been taught, then we have truly empowered them. Practice and Apply. Create an atmosphere of trust and collaboration. Create social contracts to guide behaviors and guide the community in your class; social contracts help create a self-managing team!
- Launch - Launching has to do with the way we, professional educators, "end and send". It is the way teachers end a classroom experience and the way they send their charges forth through their kids to face the future. This is vastly different from just having students rush out the door when the bell rings. Webster's Dictionary definition of launch is - a. To send forth with force! b. to start a person on some course, career, or enterprise. Send the students away with momentum driving them forward toward a clearly-defined destination. End on a powerful and empowering note.
Begin and end with passion and heart and rely on this system to finish strong!
- Capturing Kids' Hearts, Flippen Group, 2017; www.flippengroup.com
I encourage you all to review and re-energize with the keys behind this powerful model and utilize the many features of this model in our positive approaches with students daily both at school and at home. We will continue to use these approaches at school when we have to redirect students or reteach them our high classroom and school expectations and social contracts, and we will use the recommended approaches for self-reflection often as they continue to develop as learners and young people. They must know we care first and foremost.
As we start thinking about wrapping this year up (FINISH STRONG), it's important to reconnect with your purpose, with your passion(s), and remember you must capture a child's heart before you can ever fully capture their mind.
The Relational Mindset - "We are all connected in this life together. Always connect first as a person (and ally) and then as a teacher second" - Eric Jensen
- How can I show my students that I care about their home life as well as their classroom successes?
- How do I connect first as a person (and ally) and as a teacher second?
- How do I put students first, and everything else second?
What's Coming Up?
Friday 4/19 - No School
Monday 4/22 - No School
Tuesday 4/23 - 5th/6th Assembly in gym - 1:15 pm
Wednesday 4/24 - 7th Grade Burlington Bees Trip
Thursday 4/25 - MS Music Concert
Friday 4/26 - MS Boys/Girls Track Meet