City Schools CONNECT 11.9.22
November 9, 2022
November 9, 2022
- Latest News
- Great news!
- School Board updates
- ASCBC voting extension
- Under Armour November Honoree
- Middle and High School Choice process
- Updating contact information
- Report card distribution
- Military academy nominations
- STEM scholarship opportunity for seniors
- Thanksgiving Dinner with the Salvation Army
- Upcoming Events and Dates
- Progress Report
There are great things happening in City Schools every day!
School Board Updates
Hybrid Board meeting transition
The Baltimore City Board of School Commissioners is committed to serving our students, families, staff, and community in a safe and healthy environment. We understand the importance of interacting with the community without barriers. To support these relationships, the Board will transition to a hybrid approach for meetings beginning November 9, 2022, while still allowing the remaining public to attend meetings virtually.
To view more changes to Board meetings, including seating, public comments and more, click HERE
Upcoming Board events
Fall Budget Board Hearing
Tuesday, November 15
6 - 7 p.m
Hear information on the district’s budget process for the upcoming year, and provide feedback and input on the process and budget priorities.
ASCBC voting extension
For Middle and High School Students: Due to a technical issue, ASCBC student elections will reopen for ONE DAY! If you weren’t able to vote on Monday, cast your vote any time Thursday, November 10 at https://survey.k12insight.com/p/ASCBC
Have your voice heard—vote for your student representatives!
Under Armour Student - Athletes of the Month
Middle and High School Choice Process
At City Schools, students can choose and apply for the middle or high school of their choice.
To learn more about School Choice including Choice Fair, application deadlines, Open House dates and more, click HERE
Updating your contact information
Have you moved recently? Do you have a new telephone number? If you have any new contact information, please update your profile on Campus Portal. Having your correct contact information allows City Schools to send you any emergency notifications, school updates, and more.
If you're not sure how to access Campus Portal, please contact your school and they can help or visit www.baltimorecityschools.org/campus-portal
Military academy nominations
Each year, our country’s military academies offer students from each state an opportunity to grow and learn at some of the nation’s most prestigious institutions of higher learning. Qualified candidates must seek and receive a nomination from the congressman or US senator of their state (or President, Vice-President, or Secretary of Defense) to be considered for admission.
Congressman Kweisi Mfume encourages interested students to learn more about the process on this helpful webpage. Maryland’s other congressman and senators also have similar webpages.
Don’t delay! Get started on the road to this wonderful opportunity today.
AFCEA STEM scholarship opportunity for seniors
High school seniors interested in pursuing a STEM education at a two or four-year college are encouraged to apply for the AFCEA CMD scholarship for up to $10,000. Fourteen scholarships will be awarded to students across Central Maryland, so start working on your student's application today!
The application submission deadline is January 16, 2023.
In November we celebrate...
- 9: Professional Development day: schools closed for students
- 9: Public Board meeting - 5 p.m. (Watch HERE)
- 9: Renaissance Academy Open House - 2 p.m.
- 10: Baltimore Polytechnic Institute Open House - 5:30 p.m.
- 10: Paul Laurence Dunbar Open House - 5:30 p.m.
- 11: Francis Scott Key Open House - 9:30 a.m.
- 14: Garrett Heights Open House - 4:15 p.m.
- 14: SECAC meeting - 5 p.m.
- 15: Hampden Elementary/ Middle School Open House - 7:45 a.m
- 15: The Stadium School Open House - 9 a.m.
- 15: Operations Committee meeting - 10 a.m.
- 15: The Stadium School Open House - 12 p.m.
- 15: Policy Committee meeting - 3:30 p.m.
- 15: Digital Harbor High School Open House - 3:45 p.m.
- 15: August Fells Savage Open House - 5 p.m.
- 15: Benjamin Franklin High School Open House - 5 p.m.
- 15: Fall Board Budget hearing - 6 p.m.
- 15: City Neighbors High School Open House - 6 p.m.
- 16: Woodhome Elementary/ Middle School Open House - 8:30 a.m.
- 16: ACCE Open House - 4 p.m.
- 16: Patterson High School Open House - 4 p.m.
- 16: Baltimore Design School Open House - 4:30 p.m.
- 16: Family and Community Board Forum - 6 p.m.
- 17: Renaissance Academy Open House - 2 p.m.
- 17: Carver High School Open House - 5 p.m.
- 17: Dr. Nathan A Pitts Open House - 5 p.m.
- 17: Green Street Academy Open House - 5 p.m.
- 17: The Mount Washington School Open House - 5 p.m
- 17: Coppin Academy Open House - 6:30 p.m.
- 17: PCAB meeting - 6:30 p.m.
- 19: Patterson High School Open House - 10 a.m.
- 19: Vivien T. Thomas Medical Arts Academy Open House - 10 a.m.
- 19: Bard High School Open House - 11 a.m.
- 23: Thanksgiving Holiday- schools and offices closed
- 24: Thanksgiving Holiday- schools and offices closed
- 25: Thanksgiving Holiday- schools and offices closed
Tasting tomatoes and mulling about mint at Great Kids Farm
Commodore John Rodgers Elementary/Middle School third grader Naomi Ramirez Ortiz had a busy day ahead of her, but first she wanted to take in the natural beauty of Great Kids Farm’s 33 acres. “The farm made me feel peaceful and happy in my heart.”
Find more information for...
Complaints/ Concerns: 410-545-1870
Special Education Parent Response Unit: 443-984-1561