Navigating West High
A Guide to Getting Help at West High
A Community of Learners
Support from West High Administration
West High administrators are available to assist with any issues involving West High programming, employees or students. Please don’t hesitate to contact any of the following administrators at 688-1050.
- Gregg Shoultz, Principal
- Molly Abraham, Assistant Principal
- Luke DeVries, Assistant Principal
- Maria Martin, Academic Dean
West High has a staff of school counselors who can assist with any school-related issue. Often the school counselor is the point person who may assist in finding other available school or community resources to help with any of the following: college counseling, schedule changes, resolving conflicts with a teacher, working through issues at home or with peers. Counselors are assigned caseloads by alphabet:
- Paul Breitbach--A-D
- Kelly Bergman--E-J
- Greg Yoder--K-Q
- Kay DiLeo--R-Z
Call the guidance number directly at 688-1053 to speak with any counselor.
Student Family Advocates
Two West High staff members specialize in working with students and families to help with mental health and other barriers to learning. Call John Roarick or Jamie Schneider at 688-1053 for information about mental health services available at West High or in the community.
West High has a spectrum of academic supports to support the learning of all students.
- Teachers. The best place to start when looking for academic support is the classroom teacher. Many issues can be handled with support. Due to the nature of the teaching day, it is best to either email the teacher directly or call the school at 688-1050 and leave a message. Consult the West High homepage https://www.iowacityschools.org/WestHS, for teacher email addresses.
- Canvas. Content for all classes, including the course syllabus, calendar and assignment information, is contained on Canvas pages. Parents access Canvas by getting a “join code” from their student. Call 688-1053 for assistance obtaining access to Canvas pages. http://innovation.iowacityschools.org/major-projects/canvas/iccsd-canvas-login/
- Powerschool. Student progress can be monitored at all times by logging into Powerschool https://iccsd.powerschool.com/public/home.html. Both students and parents can track current grades and attendance by checking it regularly.
- Academic Focus Time. West High has a 24-minute support period called Academic Focus Time (AFT) which allows students who cannot meet with teachers before or after school to do so during the academic day. AFT is held between periods 6 and 7 everyday except for early dismissals.
Students With Disabilities
West High has an array of services for students with disabilities. If you believe a student has a disability, please contact Assistant Principal Molly Abraham at 688-1050.
The health office at West High is open from 8:30 to 4:15 everyday and offers an array of services from treating minor scrapes to dispensing medication to writing health plans. Please remember that all medications, including over-the-counter ones, need to be distributed from the health office. Call 688-1056 if you have questions about the services provided to students through this office.
Just as it is best to start with the classroom teacher when academic issues arise, it is best to start with the coach to resolve problems involving extra-curricular programs. Please contact Athletic Director Craig Huegel at 688-1055 for answers to any questions involving athletic programs.
All students have a lunch account which parents can monitor using the web-based lunch account software accessible at myschoolbucks.com. If you have questions about nutrition services, consult the ICCSD website https://www.iowacityschools.org/Page/1218 or call West High at 688-1050.
West High supports students who want workplace experiences. Russ Johnson is the workforce coordinator who helps students obtain internships or earn credit for their experiences on the job. Call Mr. Johnson at 688-1053 to discuss opportunities for learning beyond the four walls of the classroom.
For all the latest WHS news, check the on-line edition of the award-winning school newspaper.
Welcome to The West High Weekly
It is the policy of the Iowa City Community School District not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, religion, creed, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity and socioeconomic status in its educational programs, activities, or employment practices. There is a grievance procedure for processing complaints of discrimination. If you have questions or a grievance related to this policy, please contact the Director of Equity, 1725 N. Dodge St., Iowa City, IA 52245, 319-688-1000