The Third Grade
The Third Grade Scope: November 16th, 2012
READING ~ We finished up our work with character traits. We also read several nonfiction selections this week. Students also started the book Freckle Juice this week in literature circles.
MATH ~ We began multiplication this week!The students learned how addition and multiplication are related and began learning some facts! We focused on 0’s, 1’s, 5’s and 10’s this week.
SCIENCE ~ The students brainstormed ways to help conserve our natural resources. They made a poster about conserving water and began reading articles about different products made from natural resources.
SOCIAL STUDIES ~ Students finished up Chapter 7 this week, reviewed the key concepts, and will take their chapter test on Monday.
WRITING ~ We are continuing to focus on paragraphs and stress the organization of students’ writing. We want to be sure students have mastered writing one paragraph because they will soon be writing five!
- Weekly math fact tests are on Mondays. If your child has not passed throughtheir –2’s they will need to stay next week for extra assistance at Homework Intervention.
- Homework Intervention will only be on Tuesday morning next week due to the half day on Tuesday.
- Thank you to everyone who volunteered and/or donated items for our addition ice cream party!The students are very excited to celebrate their accomplishment!
- As the weather gets colder, please be sure to send your child to school with appropriate cold weather attire.
- Fun Run pledge cards were due today. If your child has not turned in his/her money and card, please have them do so as soon as possible.
- Attendance Alert! If your child will not be in school due to being sick, a vacation, etc. it is very important that you also contact the office to let them know ofyour child’s absence. We still very much appreciate you letting us know of the absence as well, however, by letting the office know of the absence this will allowthem to change your child’s absence from ‘unexcused’ to ‘excused’. Thanks!!
- There will not be a newsletter next week due to the shortened week. Have a WONDERFUL Thanksgiving holiday with your family. The students have a full day on Monday, a half day on Tuesday and will return to school on Tuesday,