DEBORAH SAMPSON OR ROBERT SHURTLEFF
I'M CUCKOO FOR DEBORAH SAMPSON!!
VOTE DEBORAH SAMPSON AS MOST VALUABLE WOMAN OF THE REVOLUTIONARY WAR!
Fought in the Revolutionary War, but disguised as a man. And no one found out!
After the war, she became a teacher and told her students about her journey as a man.
REVOLUTIONARY WAR VETERAN
Given a pension ($4 a month) for her service as a solider, and was announced a veteran of the Revolutionary War.
- Dressed as a man, and fought in the Revolutionary War
- Robert Shurtleff was her man name
- Was wounded in the head and upper thigh
- Would not let the doctor fix her leg only her head
- Later was told to protect the congress members
- Then got ill with a head fever
- A doctor unwrapped a wound and found out "he was a she"
- Deborah was taken to the doctor's home to keep her secret safe
- Robert was honorably given a discharge from the service