Cato MCHS Campus Connector
April-May, 2023 Volume 4, Issue 7
Prom is Right Around the Corner
If you are bringing a guest who does not attend Cato MCHS, a Guest Form must be completed and submitted by April 6, 2023. Forms are in the Cato MCHS hallway file box.
Spring 2023 Graduation Information
Cato MCHS Graduation
Graduation for Cato Middle College High School will be held at Ovens Auditorium on Wednesday, May, 24 at 10 am
Graduation Rehearsal: Tuesday, May 23 (no outside guest)
CPCC GraduationIf you are graduating in May 2023 with your Associates, you will need to apply for graduation with CPCC. Go to MyCollege>Graduation Overview>Apply
From the Desk of Ms. Johnson
Join me in congratulating the following seniors on their college acceptances and scholarship offers!
- Janiah Pulliam, accepted to Loyola University ($116,000) and University of Maryland Boston Shore($4000)
- Ximena Arias Garcia. accepted to Appalachian State University ($2000) and recipient of the DAR Good Citizens Award
- Frederick Cosby, accepted to UNC Wilmington, Appalachian State University, Xavier University ($10,000)
- Letrell Grady, accepted to NC A&T State University (FULL RIDE- Cheatham White Scholar), Wake Forest University (FULL RIDE), recipient of the Elks National Foundation Scholarship ($4000) and selected as a Coca-Cola Bronze Scholar ($1000)
- Kerry Creech, accepted to UNC-Charlotte
- Keshawn Holloway, accepted to NC A&T State University ($5000) and Morehouse College
- Hafsa Ezeagu, accepted to UNC - Chapel Hill
- Sarah Osman, accepted to America University in Dubai
- Makiyah Slaughter, accepted to NC A&T State University
- Angie Jules, accepted to Wingate University ($112,000), UNC-Wilmington, Appalachian State University, Salem College ($76,000) and UNC-Charlotte
- Lyanette Cerda-Mira, accepted to Appalachian State University , NC Central University, UNC-Asheville ($6,000) and College of Charleston ($28,000)
- Ayah Abdulkareem, accepted to Arizona State University ($48,000)
MAY 2023 Graduates - Save the Dates!
- April 19, 10:30-1:30, Cap & Gown Pictures - Cato II Learning Lounge
- May 18, 12 p.m. -Graduate Recognition Ceremony
We're looking forward to 2023 prom theme Masquerade. Merancas Middle College HS, Harper Middle College HS, Hawthorne Health Sciences Academy, Performance Learning Center and Charlotte Engineering Early Colleges will all join us again for prom this year. Students may invite one guest. For guests who do not attend Cato MCHS, students must submit a Prom Guest Form to Ms. Johnson for approval.
You are reminded that prom is a school event and school rules and guidelines apply. Expectations and Guidelines will be shared with students and parents.
Parents: Are you Missing our Text Messages?
Parents of Juniors,
- Please sign up through Remind. Text @catojrpar to 81010.
Parents of Seniors and Grade 13
- Please sign up through Remind. Text @catosrpar to 81010.
CPCC Tutoring Information
Please see the link for information regarding academic support (tutoring) in your CPCC courses.
CPCC Math Tutoring Sessions
- Cato 2 Building, Rm 270
- Signup here to schedule an appointment: https://www.cpcc.edu/academics/resources/tutoring
CPCC Digital Literacy Learning Space
- Get on-demand, rapid, personalized assistance in the following categories: Library Research, Technology & Brightspace.
- Make an online appointment: https://cpcc.libcal.com/appointments/online#s-lc-public-pt
- NOTE: This link will be added to Cato MCHS Linktree
Cato PTSA Information
Our April PTSA meeting is scheduled for Thursday, April 20th at 6:30 p.m.
Join Zoom Meeting
- Meeting ID: 665 983 4013
From The Desk of Mr. Smith
LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION
Grade 13 and Graduating 12th grade students,
When requesting letters of recommendation in Naviance, it must be a Cato staff member. If requesting recommendations outside of Cato make that request in the Other Recommender section of Common App. You may also request your recommender to send a letter via US Mail. Provide them with the college's office of admissions address.
Please contact your teachers or anyone that you are requesting a letter of recommendation from asking for the recommendation letter prior to them getting the automated request via Naviance or Common App.
On Common App you will be reporting your weighted rank and GPA. 4.0 scale.
University of North Carolina Greensboro Guarantee Scholarship- DEADLINE: April 1, 2023
LAWA Scholarships (English/Spanish)- Deadline April 3, 2023
Belk x Icon360 HBCU scholarship and Summer Internship program- Deadline April 3, 2023
AKA Scholarship-Deadline April 6, 2023
Class Act Collegiate Award- Deadline April 7 , 2023
Dr. Mary Harper Scholarship- Deadline April 7 , 2023
CPCC Scholarship- Deadline April 7 , 2023
State Employees Association of North Carolina (SEANC)
Only SEANC members, in good standing, their spouses and/or dependent child(ren) and SEANC retired member’s, in good standing, grandchild(ren) are eligible to receive scholarships. Membership in teachers’ organizations or the State Employees’ Credit Union (SECU) does not constitute eligibility for a SEANC Foundation Scholarship. Click on the links below to view each scholarship application. DEADLINE: April 15, 2023
- Category I Scholarship application (Financial Need)
- Category II Scholarship application (Merit)
- Category III Scholarship application (Member only)
- Retiree Grandchild - Category I Scholarship Application (Financial Need)
- Retiree Grandchild - Category II Scholarship Application (Merit)
BridgeFoundationScholarship- Deadline April 17, 2023
5Estimates.com Scholarship Program
The 5Estimates.com is offering a $1,000 scholarship to students who are currently studying at or have been accepted to an accredited university. No minimum GPA is required. DEADLINE: July 30, 2023
- Click the link for more information.
David & Friends Scholarship- Deadline May 15, 2023
College & Scholarship Acceptance Letters
Congratulations to all for the college acceptances and scholarships that you have been awarded thus far. Please email or bring me a copy of all college acceptance letters and merit scholarship letters awarded (even if you are not attending the school). Go Cato!!!
Click for information: NC Black College Expo scheduled for March 1st from 3 – 7 p.m
The Financial Aid/Niner Central Office is offering one-hour virtual appointments for students and families to receive assistance with completing the FAFSA. Appointment time slots can be found here. They can also email email@example.com or call at 704-687-8622 with any questions that they have.
Please be reminded to update your resume in Naviance. In an effort to paint the best picture of you as possible you need to include as much volunteer service, extracurricular activites, and academic awards that you've accomplished. This is the resume that faculty and staff at Cato will use to write your letters. Let's Go Cato!
Naviance and Common App email addresses must be the same to match the accounts. See me if you have questions.
As you know our 2 primary platforms to use with our college application process is with Naviance and Common App. Another resource you may use with career planning, scholarships, financial aid and other college admissions topics is via CFNC (College Foundation of North Carolina.) You can create an account or you can simply use the site as a resource.
From The Desk of Ms. Wilkins
- Interested in psychology? Have questions? We will have a Clinical Psychologist here to present and answer questions on Monday, April 3rd at 12:30 in the Cato II Auditorium. If you have a 1st block high school class, just inform your teacher that you want to attend and they'll allow you to come.
- Employment with the Y begins at the age of 16. If you have interest in working in afterschool or aquatics those positions begin at a pay rate of $11.25 and includes a free Y membership. Please browse our website for the opportunities you’re looking to apply for. Website: https://www.ymcacharlotte.org/mission/join-the-mission/work-ymca-charlotte/career-opportunities
- If you are looking for opportunities to Level Up (Teens Night Out) program please follow this link: https://www.ymcacharlotte.org/programs/teens/level-up
- If you are looking for opportunities to Volunteer please follow this link: https://www.ymcacharlotte.org/mission/join-the-mission/become-a-volunteer
Below is an opportunity for a student who would be interested in EMT and turning 18 and have their high school diploma by July 1. It is free training and they are getting a stipend while participating.
CMCHS- COVID 19 Protocol Flowchart
Refer to the CMCHS- COVID 19 Protocol Flowchart if you:
- Have been in close contact with someone who tested positive
- Have tested positive
- Have symptoms
NOTE: Should you meet any of the requirements above, please complete the Confidential Covid Screener google form located on the CMCHS- COVID 19 Protocol Flowchart.
22-23 SCHOOL ANNUAL NOTICE LETTER TO PARENTS
- Natyla Reed
- Michael Goerke
- Connor Ross
- Wilma Ampomah-Sraha
- De'Nyallah Cook
- Tison Wyatt
- Justin Dean
- Janiah Pulliam
- Victor Odoemena
- Aden Scott
- Clara Bellucci
- Astrid Ramirez Guerrero
- Jacques Mulowayi Mbiya
- Kai Whigham
- Nailah Williams
- Karina Chavarria-Garcia
- Liliana Culpepper
- Migauth Kimana
- Jakaiya Aiken
- Anthony Legette
- Alicia Santana Martinez
- Denise Vizcarra
- Abel Adem
- Khmya Robinson
- Bryan Holloway
- Melanie Andrade-Munoz
- Ruth Moreno
- Devin Fields
- Sarah Osman
- Aarin Patel
- Parth Patel
- Tori Jarrett
- Morgan Davis
- Gabriella Gandiaga
- Ethan Rangel-Torres
- Philip Doe
- Hafsa Ezeagu
- Aya Salih
- Shamsa Yusuf
- Milan Daye
- Mark Morales
- Sumayyah Elkhouly
- Mazeon Jones
- Kimberly Tineo
- DeAysha Green