ELL September Reminders
Everything you Need for a Happy 1701 Experience
Welcome Back Wonderful ELL Support Teachers!
NLPS English language learner information
You can find the NLPSLearns (Teaching and Learning Portal) on the Staff section of our NLPS website.
When you hover over "Instruction and Assessment" you will see a link for "English Language Learners"
***Our Forms are in editable Word Documents. DO NOT "OPEN IN GOOGLE". Please Download the Form and use Word. The formatting may look different in Google***
September 2021 Reminders
- Assess all newly referred ELL/ESD students to determine language levels
- Create new Yellow ELL/ESD files for students who meet the requirements for ELL/ESD funding
- Go through the files of continuing ELL/ESD students to make sure all documents are in place and that the student is in attendance in September.
- Ensure all ELL/ESD students are added to the Ministry 1701 list by the secretary/records clerk at your school by the September 30th deadline***
- Ministry reports will be sent out periodically before the deadline to see if your names and numbers match up
- The deadline to add students is September 30th
- Prepare and send out letter home to parents of ELL/ESD students advising them of the support their child will be receiving (use the template you are most comfortable with and tweak for your site needs).
- Set up a schedule of support outlining when you will be meeting with students
- Log into ELLMS to start a consultation record/service log that will document the support you are providing on a consultative basis to ELL/ESD students (Adapted resources, teacher meetings, check-ins, inclass, editing etc…)
- Complete or update an Annual Instructional Plan (AIP) for each student.
- When complete, add a hard copy to the yellow file. AIPs are working documents and should be updated and added to as the student progresses throughout the year. Deadline is the end of September of the current school year.
- Begin to work with ELL/ESD students and their teachers. Seek out opportunities to create inclusive, collaborative learning support for ELL/ESD students within the classroom.
ALL ELL/ESD students must see the ELL teacher by the end of September. Evidence of this contact must be added to ELLMS for compliance purposes
A Note about last year's assessment and Covid-19
If you managed to do some assessment dated AFTER September 30th, 2020, that can stand for AIP goal creation purposes for 2021-2022. For example, if your school did the PARS/ELIS in November, 2020, this could work as a reading assessment.
- Your school based PARS/ELIS/Benchmark paired with the Reading Quick Scale
- An informal interview with the Oral Language Quick Scale
- A piece of in-class writing (Journal, writing prompt) paired with the Writing Quick Scale
Our ELL Standards can be found on our BC Ministry of Education ELL Site
English Language Learners Management System
Once you have done this, the ELLMS administrator will get a message to set you up with your school.
ELLMS draws it's data from MyEd. You will not be able to see the students in ELLMS until your secretary/records clerk adds the ELL students to the 1701. It may take up to 24 hours for this to show up in ELLMS.
A link to ELLMS can be found on NLPS Learns in our ELL area or by clicking on the button below.
Moy's Arabic Language Tips for Teachers!
Here are some phrases to practice for the kids:
"Put your mask on": min-fud-luk da al kana emphasis on the a at the end of Kana (This is really tricky)
"please sanitize your hands": min-fud-luk akeem yadi- ik (when saying yadi - make sure you say long i at the end not short i. When saying ik make sure you say short i) yadi-ik is really one word you try to say it all together.
"Remember your distance": min-fud-luk hafiz a la masafat gasadia (short i at the end of gasadia)