Glenwood Community Update
November 19th & 26th (Two Week Edition)
This is Principal Bennett with your community update.
Topics Include - 3 Hour Early Release, Poe Center & Thanksgiving Holiday
3 Hour Early Release (Tuesday)
Thanksgiving Holiday (11/22 - 11/26)
School will dismiss 3 hours early at 11:35 am.
- Students will follow a modified schedule that includes lunch
- Glenwood afterschool programs will not run.
- Families should communicate with staff any transportation changes.
- If students do not normally ride the bus home this will not be an option for early dismissal.
School and district offices will be closed Wednesday through Monday. We hope that everyone can enjoy the time away with family.
POE Center (12/1)
Our 5th grade students will be participating in an in-house field trip with the POE center.
Upcoming Dates & Events
School Improvement Team (SIT) Meeting
Monday, Dec 11, 2023, 03:15 PM
Glenwood Elementary School, Prestwick Road, Chapel Hill, NC, USA
Winter Break (December 16th, 2023 - January 2nd, 2024)
January 3rd, 2024 - First Day of School for 2024
Here Comes the Bus
Download the Bus App! CHCCS uses “Here Comes the Bus”, an app that enables you to see the location of your child’s school bus.
Here’s what to do:
- Look for “Here Comes the Bus” wherever you download your apps, or visit https://herecomesthebus.com/
- Use the District Code: 86446
- Enter your student's identification number. Refer to previous years’ report cards or other school documents. Or, you must contact your school.
- No bus tracking service is 100% accurate.
- Bus substitutions are sometimes made. This can affect the accuracy of the Here Comes the Bus app.
- If you do not receive an app notification, do not assume the bus isn't coming. If in doubt, call the CHCCS Transportation office at (919) 942-5045.
We are still seeking candidates for the following positions. If you have any leads please have them email Principal Bennett.
Student Directory Information
Note: This will also include exclusion from the school yearbook.
After consulting with the town of Chapel Hill and district leadership it was determined to no longer place a crossing guard at this location. For safety, please keep in mind that families should use designated crosswalks and that students should be accompanied at all times.
Make sure that for arrival and especially the dismissal process you use Prestwick Road. This will allow space for our buses and the Fire Department to navigate traffic smoothly.
Our flier and video below share more information about our dismissal process.
For afternoon dismissal, our school uses a number system. Families will keep their numbers for the entire time they stay at Glenwood. When new siblings join our community you will simply communicate this to our staff and they will be added to our database. Likewise, if you regularly carpool with a family on a consistent basis, you may include other students. It is essential to ensure you share the number with guardians who may pick up your student as this will help maintain the traffic flow.
Our staff will assist the first few weeks of school with distributing numbers as needed.