Develop a Digital Portfolio to Display Your Projects
This project will help you positively develop your own digital footprint. If you don't put out the good information about yourself, someone else is going to tell your story, and you don't know what kind of story that is going to be!
Project Due: Monday, April 13, 2015 at the end of class
April 8: Introduce project, begin gathering samples to place in portfolio, create a folder in Drive called "Digital Portfolio." Work on writing your "About Me" section. Finish for homework if not complete.
April 9: How to create and set up our Google Sites.
April 10: Continue to work on & develop your Google Site.
Monday, April 13, 2015: PROJECT DUE AT END OF CLASS. Google Site is complete, submit a link to your Google Site via the corresponding assignment in Edmodo.
Thursday, April 14: Present your Google Site in class.
Planning Your Portfolio
We will be creating our portfolios using Google Drive and Google Sites.
Create Your Google Site Folder
- Create a new folder in your Tech Apps folder in your Google Drive. Name it "Digital Portfolio."
- Go through your previous projects you have completed, specifically technology projects. These can be from Tech Apps or other classes. You can also include work you have done on your own!
- Make copies of any work you would like to display [file>>make a copy] and place the copy of your work in your new "Digital Portfolio" folder.
Need Some Ideas on What to Add to Your Portfolio?
About Me Section--April 8
-Create a new Google Doc within your "Digital Portfolio" folder
-Name the file "About Me--[Name]"
-Type up a brief paragraph about yourself, what you enjoy
-DO NOT release personal information such as your address, phone number, you also probably do not want to give out your last name.
Once you've created your "About Me" page on your website, you will need to copy and paste the text in the main text box. Format as needed.
Building Your Google Site
Click to view Mrs. Witherspoon's Google Sites Tutorials that we will be using in class.
You will need to make several pages:
- Home Page
- Page for each grade level (6-8) if you have projects from each year you are adding
- a page for each class for each year
- a page for projects you complete outside of school
You might want to use the template I have created called "Carpenter Portfolio" template.
This template has a simple design, but all the pages are laid out, that way you can go back and customize the look and feel. Click to view the template
- You must utilize principles of design.
The site must exhibit proper use of color and fonts. (no crazy colors behind text or difficult to read text fonts or colors.) Things must be placed in an orderly fashion.
- You must display at least 5-10 pieces of work for Technology Applications class
- You must display at least 2 other pieces of work from other classes (core, etc.)
- EACH piece of work you choose to display MUST include a small paragraph explaining about your project. This can talk about techniques you used, what the requirements were of the project, why or why it was not challenging, etc.
- Your site must use correct grammar and spelling.
- All images used on the site must be school appropriate.
Create a Website Banner
There are several ways you can create your banner.
Size: 750 x 95 pixels
You can use Google Draw, Pixlr, etc.
Turning Your Website In
- On your website, go to the sharing settings in the top right corner.
- Change your sharing settings to "Anyone with the link can VIEW" (you don't want to make it to where anyone can edit!
- Copy the URL for your homepage and paste it in the turn in box for the assignment in Edmodo.