Family updates for the Week of December 2nd
NORTH ROCKFORD MIDDLE SCHOOL GIVING TREE
All items are due to the Counseling Office by Tuesday, December 17th.
"It's all about children and the giving spirit of the Season"
DECEMBER 4TH - HAT DAY
DECEMBER 11 - RAM PRIDE DAY
HOLIDAY SPIRIT WEEK
DEC 16 - HOLIDAY SOCKS DAY
DEC 17 - HOLIDAY HAT DAY
DEC 18 - RED AND WHITE STRIPES DAY
DEC 19 - HOLIDAY PJ DAY
DEC 20 - CRAZY HOLIDAY SWEATER/SHIRT DAY
Students participating in the Wacky Wednesday theme will receive a ticket from their 1st-hour teacher. Students write their name on the ticket and turn it in at lunch to have a chance at winning some great prizes!
FAMILY OUTREACH CENTER WITH RPS PRESENTS: YOUTH SCREEN
NRMS will be participating in Youth Screen again this year. Youth Screen is a mental health screening program that visits local schools throughout Kent County to meet with students in grades 6-12. The program is designed to identify risk factors associated with depression, anxiety, and alcohol/substance use. This program is free, voluntary, and completely confidential. On the day of the screening, each participating student will fill out a brief questionnaire about health, feelings, and behaviors. Next, each student will meet individually with one of the mental health professionals to talk about their results. If a student is identified as having any concerns or needs, parents or guardians will be contacted to discuss the results. If there are no concerns from the results, no contact will be made.
Why have your child participate in Youth Screen?
*1 in 5 adolescents have symptoms of or a diagnosis of anxiety or depression
*In 2016, there were nine completed suicides in Kent Co. reported in children under age 19
*In about 95% of these cases, if the risk factors and triggers had been identified early, the suicides may have been prevented.
We know it’s important for children to stay physically healthy, and it’s just as important for students to stay mentally healthy.
A permission letter that gives more details about the program is attached. Please print the letter, sign it, and have your child return it to the counseling office by Tuesday, December 3rd.
For a more detailed description of the Youth Screen Program, and the parent/guardian consent form, click on the link below.
If you have any questions about Youth Screen, please contact Mrs. Ohlman or Mr. Landane in the counseling office at (616) 863-6313.
Families Needed to Host Middle School French Exchange Students
The French Back-to-Back Program is looking for families who are willing to open their homes to a student from France for two weeks. The French students are coming here April 18-May 3, 2020. This program is a cultural exchange, with students looking to learn more about the United States, Michigan, and how we live.
- - The French student needs their own bed, but not necessarily their own room.
- - You do NOT need to know French.
- - The French student must come to NRMS every morning. They can ride the bus with your student, or be dropped off. This will also be the pick-up point every day after school. There is flexibility and carpooling available!
- - Hosting Fee: approximately $100 per family. This goes toward the activities we plan for the students during the day. We can do fundraising.
- - Chaperoning: The French students will go out on field trips most every day. They will need transportation and chaperones each day. You will not need to go EVERY day, hopefully just once.
- - Show your French student what life is like in a typical American family. Nothing fancy, just life. But hopefully fun!
- - Weekend time is spent with your family.
Contact Melissa Schmidt for more information: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Another option for the program is called Back-to-Back. In this part of the program, you would host an eighth grade student from France for two weeks, April 18-May 3, 2020. Then your student travels to France for two weeks in June, right after school gets out. Ask Mrs. Schmidt about this amazing opportunity!
SUBSTITUTE TEACHERS NEEDED!
- Current Michigan Teaching Certificate
- Expired Michigan Teaching Certificate
- 60+ credit hours from an accredited community college, university or college with no less than a 2.0 GPA, verified with official transcripts (this is a minimum standard and individual school districts may set additional requirements)
- Out-of-State Teaching Certificate with same transcript/GPA requirements as above
Note: this position requires a $45 substitute teaching permit which EduStaff will apply for. Also, anyone working in a K-12 setting must be fingerprinted and pass a criminal history background check. Candidates can log on to EDUStaff.org to start an application.