Laurel Family Newsletter
Laurel Letter (LL): Week of October 1st
Successful Virtual Back to School Night!
Our district’s updated plan for return to in-person instruction.
Virtual learning student expectations and available supports.
Parent/caregiver involvement opportunities.
Virtual Parent Conferences: October 9 -19th
During the week, your child's teacher will be sending you more information about parent conferences along with dates and times for you to sign up for.
Student Material distribution-Make up, Tuesday Oct. 6th, 9 to 10:30am
Students already started the next chapters for math and English Language Arts, so it important that you make arrangements to pick up the materials.
Outdoor Outreach for Laurel Students-Registration is Now Open!
The "Out & About" activities registration is now open!
Please register now if you are interested. Students from Laurel school will be given first priority. However, registration will soon be open to all families in Oceanside.
Click below for the: registration link outdooroutreach.org/outandaboutSD.
Those with questions, or who may need assistance registering, can send an email to:
- or you can call 619.238.5790
Out & About, an initiative promoting socio-emotional development through challenging small group outdoor activities while following public health guidelines and adhering to safety protocols.
- In collaboration with Palomar Family Counseling, the San Diego Outdoor Outreach "Out & About" will be offering outdoor activities to Laurel students.
- Events are being held countywide through December 30, 2020-free of charge.
- Events are open to children with each event limited to a maximum of 12 participants.
- This unique opportunity will include activities such as: mountain biking, hiking, stand up paddle boarding, and kayaking...among others. Safety equipment for the specific activity will be provided, as will facemasks and needed PPE.
- Out & About events will be offered after school, on weekends, and during school breaks with either 3-4 hour or 5+ hour (full day) activities available.
- Registration includes transportation to and from the event, with participants screened for COVID-19 symptoms prior to boarding, and seated in a manner that allows for appropriate physical distancing.
- Individually wrapped snacks (or lunch, depending on the length of the activity) will be provided during the events.
Outdoor Outreach organization: http://www.outdooroutreach.org
Palomar - Coffee meeting for Parents (Cafecito): Topic driven workshops
Parents are invited to join our parent workshops:
- The topic driven workshops offer valuable community resources information as well as arts and crafts activities for the parents.
- All Laurel parents are welcomed to attend. Currently the cafecitos (coffee meetings) are done virtually.
Palomar - Incredible Years Parenting Training (also known as Dinosaur School for Parents):
Parents whose children are between the grades of TK – 3rd grade, and whose children are enrolled in the Dinosaur School Small Groups, are invited to attend this training.
- This is a 12-week course where parents will learn skills, similar to the ones their children will learn in the Small Groups.
- Topics include: Rules, Reading and Homework Skills, Setting Limits, Using rewards, Positive discipline.
- Parents can attend as many classes as able-incentives for participation and attendance are given through raffle drawing.
- Currently the parent training is conducted virtually.
Important: Annual Family Information Form
Parent and guardians, please fill out this Annual Family Information Form to increase our district's opportunity to receive local, state, and federal funding.
On a per student basis for districts like Oceanside, there is increased funding for large concentrations of low-income, English Language Learner and foster student populations. Therefore, we are required to establish and confirm the number of students that represent these categories by having families complete the official Annual Family Information Form.
Our goal is to ensure that Oceanside Unified School District's students receive the maximum amount of funds that we are eligible to receive by completing the Annual Family Information Form linked above.
We greatly appreciate your assistance with enabling us to better serve our students!
For questions or support please call 760-966-4095
Dinosaur School is Back, Virtually! Registration still available
Palomar Family Counseling Service is excited to be able to continue to provide Dinosaur School virtually for students K- 3rd grade, which utilizes the Incredible Years Social Skills and Problem-Solving Curriculum.
Some of the topics we discuss and practice in small groups are: Classroom Rules, Understanding and Managing our Feelings, Problem Solving, and Friendly Skills.
- If you are unfamiliar with Dinosaur School, you can go to our YouTube channel, where we will continue to provide weekly lessons throughout the virtual school year: http://www.youtube.com/c/DinoSchool1234.
- Zoom will be used for our small groups, which will meet for 20-30 minutes weekly, and will last from eight-ten weeks.
- In order for your child to participate in small groups, you will need to begin by filling out the following form: https://forms.gle/SQgzuiY1P6T9PiP59
If you have any further questions about Dinosaur School, you can contact me at 760-705-4655 or Emily.Shoots@palomarfamily.org.
Reminder: Personal Tutoring with Virtual Support Teachers
All OUSD students now have have access to evening instructional support.
- There are two ways students can seek support: request individual virtual tutoring appointments between 1:15 PM - 3:45 PM and/or attend open zoom tutoring hours from 4:00 PM -7:30 PM Monday through Friday.
- Click here to visit for tutoring & support: Virtual Support Teacher website
Please check with your child's teacher if you have questions and encourage your students to drop in to ask questions and get support they need.
School Staff & District Help
OUSD Technology Service Desk
Available to students & parents/guardians for assistance with OUSD devices, OUSD account issues, connectivity, and general technical support for teaching & learning
Hours: 7:30 am to 4:30 pm
ITS Site: oside.us/its
Tech Support Site: oside.us/techsupport