August 2, 2021
Mindsets Move Mountains!
Welcome back Broken Arrow Families!
I am beyond excited to welcome all of our students back to Broken Arrow for onsite learning for our upcoming 2021-22 school year.
Our theme for the school year is "Mindsets Move Mountains". As we have all learned over the duration of the past year and a half, it takes a positive mindset and sticking together to endure the toughest of times.
The power of a growth mindset is a life skill that is essential to life success.
An emphasis on social emotional teaching and learning has always been present at Broken Arrow, but it is something needed now more than ever before. We will continue to emphasize ownership in student learning and having students experience first hand how mindset and perseverance can result in accomplishing goals.
I ask for you to assist me in showing our Broken Arrow love for our 12 new BA staff members.
A lot of time was spent in the spring and throughout the summer hiring outstanding people, who happen to be outstanding educators. Selection of new staff is something I take extremely seriously, as top notch people/educators is precisely what makes an exceptional school. When selecting a teacher for our school I always ask if this is the caliber of person and educator that I would want for my son. It is hard to miss the target with this perspective on acquiring new staff.
Please know that I hold myself to high expectations for ensuring your child's school experience is an exceptional one. As a parent myself, I understand you are trusting us with your most prized possession. This is not something that is taken lightly. If we happen to hit snags along the way we will work through them with strong communication between home and school. Please never hesitate to reach out to me, as I want nothing more than to work together to make Broken Arrow a place your child loves to be everyday.
I am so looking forward to seeing you on Tuesday, August 10th at our Meet the Teacher/Supply Drop Off event from 5:30-6:30 pm to get our school year started!
SMSD BOE Adopted Mitigation Protocols
Meet the Teacher Night/Supply Drop Off
Please note your child's classroom/teacher assignment will be visible when logging into Skyward on Monday, August 9.
SMSD elementary schools will not be holding Meet the Teacher events inside the school this year. Believe me, we are all looking forward to the days ahead when families and visitors back inside our school is our standard practice.
Here is what you need to know about this year's event.
- Procedures for our event will be the same as they were last September.
- Families will parade/drive through starting at the BACK ENTRANCE. This means you will be turning onto 60th Terrace from Greenwood or Alden. You will only be able to enter the parade from 60th Terrace.
- Families may drop off supplies when making a pitstop at their child's grade level area - Watch for the grade level signs. Please remain in your vehicle.
- If you would prefer to send your supplies with your child on the first day instead (I am thinking students in older grades) that is fine. I highly encourage you to drop off supplies if your child is in K-1 grade as that can be a lot to navigate on the first day. Keep in mind parents will again need to say goodbyes outside of the school this year.
- Upon exiting the parade (on to Alden from the front circle drive) your child will be given a treat to enjoy.
*I cannot emphasize enough how important it is to enroll your child AND complete the Household Economic Survey. Information from this survey will determine if Broken Arrow receives extra support for students.
*Click here to begin enrollment or if completed, to go back in and complete the Household Economic Survey.
*Please label your child's school supplies.
*The earliest students may arrive at school is 7:50 am each school day.
*Dismissal is at 3:10 pm each day (*Early Release dismissal is at 12:30 pm)
*We will continue to utilize Family Numbers for dismissal this year. Your family will have the SAME Family Number as last year. If you are new to Broken Arrow you will receive your number (hangs on your rearview mirror) from your child's teacher. If your Family Number is a one hundred number (IE: 112), you will pick your child up in the front of the school. If your Family Number is a two hundred number (IE: 221), you will pick your child up on the backside of our school (pulling into the drive from 60th Terrace). You will be asked to move to the correct location if you attempt to pick up on the wrong side of the building.
Click Here for the 2021-2022 SMSD Calendar
August 9 Families learn who their child's teacher will be by logging into Skyward
August 10 Drive-Thru Meet the Teacher Night 5:30-6:30 pm *See detailed information above
Families drive through (remain in vehicles) and drop off supplies, see their teacher, and get a treat.
August 12 1-6 First Day of School Early Dismissal 12:30 pm *Students are served lunch before dismissed
August 12 Kindergarten Camp 8:30-10:00 and 10:30-12:00
*Kindergarteners only attend one of the sessions each day.
IMPORTANT! --Sign your child up by clicking here!
August 13 Kindergarten Camp 8:30-10:00 and 10:30-12:00
*Kindergarteners only attend one of the sessions each day.
IMPORTANT! ---Sign your child up by clicking here!
August 16 Pre-K and Kindergarten First Day of School (Students attend a full day)
Positive Impacts from COVID-19 Federal Relief Funds
- Class maximum size reduced to 22 for K-2 an 25 for 3-6 for the 2021-2022 and 2022-2023 school years. *Class sizes return to 24 and 27 in the 2023-2024 school year
- A full time instructional coach at every building for the 2021-2022 and 2022-2023 school years. *These positions would be reduced in the 2023-2024 school year.
- 1 full time building sub for the 2021-2022 school year (only)