The Superstar Special
Newsletter for the C.L. Smith Elementary Superstars
Our amazing new TK/Kindergarten play structure!
4th and 5th graders are learning to play the guitar.
Our students love playing tetherball! Thank you PTA!
From the Principal:
As we head into February, the stress of the school year can build for some students. Psychology professor and Child Development expert Amber Ankowski and her copywriter husband offer some advice on how to help children deal with stress in their blog post: Sharpen Your child's Stress-Relieving Skills. Here are some highlights:
- Talking it out -- while this is the common first response for parents, young children may not have the vocabulary or emotional insight to talk about the problems they face.
- Getting it Down on Paper -- research clearly shows that writing or drawing about one's problems can improve mood and alleviate negative emotions.
- Forgetting about it Altogether -- while venting negative emotions through spoken words, written words or drawing helps, researchers are finding that "drawing for distraction" actually works best to relieve stress. This means that having your children draw things that make them happy and distract them from their problems, may be the best stress reliever!
- According to the Ankowski's: "The next time real life is getting the best of your kid, have him draw a picture of a fantastic, talking-forest-creature-filled tickle fight and there just might be giggles and rainbows in his future."
Looking forward to rainbow filled days!
For the complete article go to: http://www.pbs.org/parents/expert-tips-advice/2015/11/sharpen-your-childs-stress-relieving-skills/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=pbsofficial&utm_campaign=parents_expert
Bits and Pieces
Instructional Materials Review Committee Seeks Parent Input
San Luis Coastal Unified School District has formed an Instructional Materials Adoption Panel (IMAP) to review kindergarten – 5th grade English Language Arts materials for possible adoption. The committee is requesting community input in this process. Interested parents and community members are invited to visit our school during regular business hours to review English Language Arts textbooks and complete a School Community Evaluation forms. Textbooks and materials will be on display at the school from January 25 to February 4, 2016. We encourage you to participate and value your input. All completed School Community Evaluations will be reviewed by the IMAP prior to making a recommendation to our School Board.
Noon Super Subs needed:
We are currently seeking paid substitutes for our noon supers. If you have some availability between 11:45-1:10 at least one day a week, and would like to help our Superstars have fun and be safe on the yard please let the office know as soon as possible!
Hello CL Smith Families!
February is here and that means that the PTA is in full Auction mode! We have begun the task of soliciting for donations and begun the process of planning this year’s event, to be held on April 30th at The Elks in San Luis Obispo. If you are unfamiliar with this annual event, it is our largest fundraiser of the year and we need your support! If you would like to be a part of the process, in any way, please contact the PTA! We can’t put this event on without help, so any amount you can offer will be greatly appreciated!
Please look for a flyer coming home concerning an Auction item. If you have a business, skill or item at home you no longer use, or know someone that does, please consider making a tax deductible donation to the Auction! It’s a great way to get your business name out there to help your children as well!
In other PTA news, we have begun funding special Music classes for grades 1-3, similar to the special Art classes we did at the beginning of the year. Taught by Alyssa Gies, mother to a preschooler and a first grader at CL Smith, the classes have begun once a week and we hope the kids are enjoying them! The PTA loves that we can bring Music and Art back to our children’s school life!
We have also purchased some fun new things for the kids to play with during rainy day schedule. With the rain upon us, staying in is always a daunting prospect so we tried to find fun things appropriate for all age levels. We hope everyone is enjoying the new stuff!
In need of new colder weather CL Smith gear?! We’re opening a temporary web-store in conjunction with J. Carroll. It will open on Wednesday, February 3rd, and run for two weeks. Please look for a flyer that went home on Monday with more information!
February 2: PTA MEETING, 6PM STAFF LOUNGE
February 3-17: Temporary Web-Store: www.jcarroll.com/cl-smith
February 25: Taiko Drums assembly; 10:40AM in the Pavilion. All are welcome!
SAVE THE DATE FOR AUCTION! APRIL 30th, from 5:30-9:00PM
We hope you all have a great month of February!
CL Smith PTA, President
Upcoming Dates to Remember:
- February 1 Bike Rodeo Assembly 10:40 am
- February 2 PTA Meeting 6:00 pm
- February 3 Bike Rodeo 3:00 pm
- February 3 Latino Literacy 5:30 pm
- February 5 Talent Show 10:40 am
- February 8, Lincoln's Birthday No School
- February 10 Latino Literacy 5:30 pm
- February 11, PS,K,3rd, 5th Dental Screening
- February 15 President's Day No School
- February 17 Latino Literacy 5:30 pm
- February 19 Schoolwide Friday Fun 2:00 pm
- February 23 Effective Discipline Parenting class 6:00 pm
- February 24 Latino Literacy 5:30 pm
- February 25 Taiko Drum Assembly 10:40 am
- February 25 Minimum Day
- February 26 Minimum Day
- February 29 Superstar Assembly 10:40 am
- March 7 - 11 Minimum Days (conference week)