What is Scurvy?
By: Ben Alvarez, Izzy Olorunda, and Annie Drews
How was Scurvy discovered?
- Scurvy was treated by James Lind in 1754
- he fed 12 of his patients with scurvy diffrent types of foods
- he discovered the intake of vitamin c used in citrus fruits cured the disease
What causes Scurvy?
- a lack of vitamin C in the diet
How did Scurvy get its name?
- The word scurvy comes from the latin word scorbutus
How is Scurvy treated?
- Scurvy is treated by providing the ill patient with citrus fruits and vitiman C
Who suffers from Scurvy?
- those who are economicallly poor are more likely to being diagnosed with Scurvy
- those who are unable to get to fresh fruits or foods high in vitamin C