Chandler High Wolf Bytes
School of Champions
track state champions
The CHS Girls and Boys Track Teams are Division I State Champions! The girls crushed the competition by over 40 points. The boys won in dramatic fashion, putting up the win in the final event. The Head Varsity Track Coaches are Mr. Eric Richardson and Mr. Russell Scott. Congratulations, Wolves!
Last week was a terrific one for Varsity Softball! The Wolves defeated #6 Xavier 3-1 in Round 2 of the State Play-Offs and then went on to defeat #3 ranked Desert Ridge 4-2. Come cheer on the Wolves tomorrow, Tuesday, May 10 th
th, at 6:30pm when they take on #2 Pinnacle in the State Semi-Finals. The game will be played at the Rose Mofford Sports Complex. Good luck and Go Wolves!
Last Week's Wins
- JV Volleyball def. Boulder Creek 2-0
This Week's Home Events
- Thursday, 5/12: Orchestra Concert @ 7:00pm in the CCA
CHS WEEK OF ACADEMIC CELEBRATIONS
This week, CHS will honor students’ academic accomplishments with 3 celebrations:
- On Tuesday May 10th, we will recognize the top 5% and Department award recipients for the freshmen, sophomore, and junior classes at Awards Night at 6 PM in the CCA
- On Wednesday, CHS seniors will be honored at Scholarship Night at 6 PM in the CCA
- Finally, on Thursday, we'll be hosting the Principal's Honors Celebration during both lunches. Students who meet the criteria outlined below will be recognized during 2nd hour and released to lunch 20 minutes early for a courtyard celebration.
Students qualify if they: 1) Have a 3.5 cumulative GPA; 2) Had a minimum of 2 honors credits their freshman year, total of 4 honors credits by the end of their sophomore year, 5 honors credits by the end of junior year and 6 by end of senior year; and 3) Must be enrolled in at least one honors class during the spring semester, and during each semester grades 9-12.
Congratulations to everyone earning academic accolades. Great job, Wolves!
From April 23rd-April 26th, sixteen Chandler High School DECA members participated in both competition and leadership training at the International DECA Competition in Nashville, TN. 17,500 students from across the world participated in the competition. CHS’s Kameron Dawson (pictured on stage below) earned Top 10 on his written exam out of 200 participants in his event. The students had a great time networking with DECA members from all over the world and experiencing southern hospitality and great food.
April 23rd was the opening reception for the Emerge 2016 Student Photography Exhibition at The Art Intersection in downtown Gilbert. The exhibit contains work from photographers enrolled in Arizona high schools, community colleges, art schools, and universities. It is a juried show meaning that our students entered themselves online and attached a digital image of their work —each student could enter up to four photographs, and then one person (the juror) selected nearly 100 photographs from all the entries. Those selected are included in the exhibition.
Five CHS students were selected, and one student had two of her pictures selected. Boyana received an “Honorable Mention” for one of her photographs and Abel has already sold a copy of his image “Samuel and Chevy”. The exhibition runs from April 23 – May 21, 2016. CHS Students: Hannah Lazenby(12), Boyana Babanovski(12), Kaden Dawson(11), Klarissa Escobar(12), Abel Uriarte (10).
BEGINNING/INTERMEDIATE DANCE CONCERT
Beginning and Intermediate Dance, under the direction of Mrs. Kathie Buren and Mrs. Marie South, performed three terrific concerts last week in the CCA’s Bogle Theater. The students choreographed their own numbers and controlled most aspects of the production. Great work!
Jazz Band, Concert Band, Wind Ensemble and Symphonic Band performed their last concert of the year last week. Each band performed beautifully in front of an appreciative CCA audience. The bands are directed by Mr. Harout Boyajian and Mr. Steven Quintana.
Throughout the season, Chandler High Softball, coached by JanaRae Slayton, served as buddies to Mrs. Croswhite's 1st grade class at CTA Humphrey. In addition to writing weekly letters back and forth, the softball team also took a field trip to see the students in class. Not only did they get to bring their buddy a gift, the softball girls were able to read with students, play at recess, and even attend music class with them! For the last home game, the 1st grade buddies came to cheer on their softball buddies and even took the field during announcements.
CHS ALUMNI ASSOCIATION
The winner of the Chandler High Alumni Association drawing for the iPad Mini 4 is Brandon Smith. Congratulations, Brandon, and to all who purchased tickets, thanks for your support!
Be on the lookout for the alumni group’s next fundraising raffle during football season this fall.
SENIOR IMPORTANT DATES
- May 2 Seniors receive check-out forms from English teachers
- May 9-10 Yearbook Distribution @ lunches and after school
- May 18 Last day to pay debts in the Bookstore, return athletic gear, pay for stoles, etc. You may check out earlier than exam days if you have everything done!
May 19-20 Senior Final Exams
Senior Check-out (Last Day is Friday)
May 23, 7:30 a.m. First Practice and Cap/Gown Distribution for A-L in the CCA -MANDATORY!
May 23, 9:30 a.m. First Practice and Cap/Gown Distribution for M-Z in the CCA -MANDATORY!
May 24, 5:45 a.m. Final Practice -MANDATORY!
May 24, 7:15 p.m. Report to assigned classrooms for line-up
May 24, 8 p.m. This is it – GRADUATION!!!
2016-2017 SPORTS PHYSICALS
2016 CHANDLER GIRLS VOLLEYBALL SPRING CAMPS
- All Skills Camp (6th-8th grade): May 10th- May 12th @ 5pm-7pm; $ 50.00 Per Camper (Payne Gym)
- All Skills Camp (4th grade -8th grade): May 31st- June 2nd @ 9am-11:30am; $65.00 Per Camper (Old Gym)
- High School Instructional Camp (9th-12th graders): May 31st & June 2nd @ 11:30am-2:00pm (Old Gym) and June 14th, June 16th, & June 21st @ 9am-11:30am; $30.00 Per Camper (Old Gym) (HIGHLY ADVISED FOR STUDENTS WHO ARE TRYING OUT FOR HIGH SCHOOL SEASON)
- All Skills Camp (6th grade-8th grade): July 19th-21st @ 6:00pm-8:00pm; $ 50.00 Per Camper
- High School Skills Camp (9th-12th graders): August 1st– 4th @2:45-5:00pm; $65.00 Per Camper (HIGHLY ADVISED FOR STUDENTS WHO ARE TRYING OUT FOR HIGH SCHOOL SEASON)
Participants will receive a camp t-shirt. Questions? Please contact Head Coach Audra Slemmer at 480-812-7892 or firstname.lastname@example.org
cusd summer academy
In need of making up credits? Looking to get a head start for next year? CUSD Summer Academy could be just what you're looking for. Information on CUSD Summer Academy can be found by visiting the following link: CUSD Summer Academy Information
CHS WOLF DAYS - SAVE THE DATE
The purpose of WOLF Days is to distribute 2016-17 schedules, take student I.D. pictures, and pay for any fees. Please keep these dates in mind when scheduling vacations. WOLF Days takes place in the CHS Media Center.
Seniors - July 13th - 8:00 AM-3:00 PM
Juniors - July 14th - 8:00 AM-3:00 PM
Sophomores - July 15th - 8:00 AM-3:00 PM
Freshmen - July 18th - 11:30 AM-6:00 PM
GENESIS YOUTH PROGRAM
Is your student looking for summer employment to stay busy and save up some money? Or are they graduating and looking to start a career? The Genesis Youth Program provides one-on-one assistance for job training, resume building, career development, and computer access for youth ages 16-24 who are trying to advance their careers and education. Check out the flyer for information about where to find the Genesis Youth Hubs, what services are available to youth, and eligibility requirements for the program. These valuable services are being offered for free, so take advantage of this opportunity! For more information, check out the Genesis Youth Program flyer.