April 27, 2020
Communication - Posted by Mitch Ditkoff April 19, 2020
One of the biggest obstacles to good communication between two people can be summarized in four words: "I already know that"...
All that's being asked of you is to receive the other, honor their need to express and, by so doing, increase the odds of genuine communication taking place. Towards that end, you have choices. Here are two healthy alternatives to the "I already know this" routine:
1. Pause, take a breath, and become present: In other words, for the moment, let go of your TO DO list and the spinning hard disk of your mind. Unplug from your momentum! See the person standing before you as the perfect person to be standing before you and know that your respectful attention has the potential to work wonders (without taking a whole lot of time).
2. In a gracious way, let the speaker know you DO understand what they are about to say -- then give him or her a chance to express themselves more fully, i.e.
-- "I hear you. I know this is a huge topic for you. Is there anything else you need to say to me about this?"
-- "Yup. I totally get that this topic has been on your mind for a while. What do we need to do to resolve this situation?"
-- "Hmmm. I can see we have some unfinished business here. Is there anything you need from me to get closure on this?"
-- "Thanks for speaking up. I know how important this topic is for you, but this moment isn't a good time for me to have this conversation with you. How about we dig in later tonight?"
-- "Oops! I thought we had already resolved this matter. But maybe not. What do you need from me in order to feel complete about the topic on the table?"
Here is the link to the entire article:http://www.ideachampions.com/weblogs/archives/2020/04/one_of_the_bigg_1.shtml
End of Year LPACs
Your ESL specialists are working hard to prepare your campus EOY LPAC meetings. These meetings are required by the state for every student- LEP and Monitors. LPACs will be held anytime between May 11th to May 22nd. Please schedule a virtual time with your ESL specialist to conduct these meetings through Zoom using the eStar platform. The meeting should reflect the student's program placement for the 20-21 school year. If you have any questions, you can also contact Kila Bach at Kila.Bach@KellerISD.net.
Assistant Principal Updates and Information
- Keller U is going virtual! Click here for the update.
- AP EOY Checklist published next week. Stay tuned!
- Compliance Videos due May 15th https://kellerisd-tx.safeschools.com/training/home
- Are you getting questions about ROCK shirts? This email was sent to everyone that ordered a shirt...FYI. ROCK Apparel was scheduled to be delivered to schools the day after Spring Break. All of the orders are with Jeanie the vendor for Alliance. If you would like to arrange a porch pickup, she can leave your order on her porch whenever you would like to pick it up. Just call or text her at 817-312-2898 to arrange a time. If you would like to wait, she will be delivering the remaining orders to the campuses as soon as they reopen. If you have any questions or concerns, you may call her or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org.”
- Great resources for families in the areas of counseling and SEL - Updated often
- On-line registration begins this week. Link to KISD parent site and link to admin and registrar training powerpoint
- Transfer Window ends on May 3rd - please let kinder and first-grade parents know when they inquire during on-line registration.
Special Education Training Opportunities
- Sign up for the training you are interested in and a zoom link will be sent. Click here
- Week 1: Problem Behavior Happens
Aeries - Training Updates
- July 13th is the Aeries, GO LIVE date. The training schedule link is listed below and all courses have been entered in Eduphoria through May 7, 2020. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/16RRGUqzIKAdW7R9wkQClvjHNzNWxgiTxXKMwgwWwrHU/edit#gid=0
- Demonstration Sites
- Administrative training is being planned.
Joe Baker - Area Director of Student Services X1083
Stephanie Cantu - Student Services Assistant X 1115
Laura Lockhart - Area Director of Student Services X 1105