December Literacy Parent Newsletter
Information and activities to inform and empower parents
How Do I Get My 20 Minutes?
Sometimes it can be a challenge to set aside a 20-minute block to read with your child every day. Here are a few simple ways to build that time into your routine:
- Read during snack time.
- Always keep a few books in the car.
- Build reading into transition times- Examples include reading while cleaning up the dinner table and while preparing for bedtime.
- Read while you are at a restaurant or doctor's office.
- Keep books by the bed.
- Listen to stories on-line. Try http://www.storylineonline.net
- Read everything. Examples include reading boxes, magazines and posters on the wall.
- Read cookbooks and recipes while making dinner together.
After Reading With Your Child....
When you think you're done, you've only just begun! After enjoying book with your child, continue the experience by asking:
- What did you like/dislike about the story?
- Does the story remind you of another story?
- What were you wondering as you read?
- What was your favorite part?
- Were there any parts that surprised you?
- What did you learn while reading?
- What are you going to read next?