This Week in DHS Band and Guard
Week of January 2, 2023
This Week's Schedule
Monday, January 2nd
- JV Winter Guard 9-11:30 am
- Varsity Winter Guard 12-4 pm
Tuesday, January 3rd
- Varsity Winter Guard 9am-4pm (lunch 12:15-1)
- JV Winter Guard 5-7:30pm
Friday, January 6th
- Area students leave for hotel, 2:30 pm (see complete itinerary below)
Saturday, January 7th
- Area Auditions, 10 am, Alice HS
UIL Solo and Ensemble Contest
All students are required to be academically eligible to attend the UIL Solo and Ensemble Contest. The 2nd 9 weeks grade will be used for eligibility.
All students who go to UIL will be responsible for the entry fee ($10). Students performing an accompanied solo will also be responsible for paying half the cost of the piano accompanist ($60). The entry fee and piano accompanist fee are due this week.
Here is our current list of entries. Please check them again for accuracy.
All wind students (woodwinds and brass) not going to UIL Solo and Ensemble will perform a solo at the Winds Solo Recital on February 1st. All ensembles will also be performing on February 1st to get some final feedback from a judge before going to UIL the following Saturday. All percussion students will perform on the Percussion Solo Recital on February 28th.
All ensembles will also be performing at the Casino Night on February 11th in the evening.
Congratulations to the 21 students that have advanced to Area in ATSSB All-State Audition process! The final round of auditions to make the All-State band is Saturday, January 7th in Alice, TX. We will be leaving DHS at about 2:30 pm on January 6th to travel to Alice, TX. Students will be provided $30 in per diem for the weekend. Please read the Area letter below with information on how to prepare for the next audition. Students will play all scales and all of each etude for the next audition.
Friday, Jan 6th 2023
- 2:30 pm - Depart Davenport High school for Holiday Inn Express, George West Tx, 200 Nueces St, 78022 - 3691-449-4333
- 6:00 pm - Arrive at hotel, check in and go to dinner - WE WILL BE GOING TO the local “activity center/bowling alley.” If you want to bowl a few games OR you know you want to eat a lot, bring extra $$.
- 10:00 pm - Arrive back at hotel (estimated)
Saturday, Jan 7th, 2023
- 7:00 am Breakfast at hotel/check out
- 8:00 am depart for Alice High School (stay all day)
- 8:45 am Registration/Check In
- 9:30 am Student Meeting in cafeteria
- 10:00 am Auditions Starts
- 3:30-4:15 Estimated ending time and leave contest site
- 4:30-5:00 pm (estimated time) depart for Dinner stop (Chilis in Alice Tx - 1718 Matt Murphy Rd, Alice, TX 78332 and after dinner, depart for DAVENPORT HIGH SCHOOL 23255 FM3009, San Antonio, TX 78266
- 10:00 pm Arrive at Davenport High School
Florida Trip Update
Travel companies are not able to book airfare until 3-4 months before trips. The cost of airfare for our trip to Florida came in over $400 above what was budgeted by the travel company. Instead of passing on the addition charge of $400 per traveler, we have made the decision to drive to Florida. Updated pricing is below. Here is an updated itinerary. We are now leaving at 3 pm on March 11th and will be returning on Friday, March 17th.
Fee payments (Use this link for everything except instrument usage fees.)
- February 1st, Wind Solo Recital, Davenport HS
- February 4th, UIL Solo and Ensemble, Davenport HS
- February 11th, Casino Night, evening off campus
- February 21st, Mid-Winter UIL Preview Concert, Davenport HS, 7 pm
- February 28th, Percussion Solo Recital, Davenport HS, evening
Director of Bands
Associate Band Director
Color Guard Director
Color Guard Assistant Director
Director of Bands
Assistant Director of Bands