Cause and Effect of Australian Federation
What Is Federation?
*Federation is when states, colonies and territories join as one, to become a nation!
*On the 1st of Janurary, 1901 Australia became a nation!
* The states, colonies and territories which joined where: New South Wales, Victoria, Queensland, South Australia, Western Australia and Tasmania!
* Did you know when all these states and territories united they made the Commonwealth of Australia and this is how Australia made an independent nation!
*This whole process is known as federation!!!
Why Did Federation Happen?
* Federation happened because Australia wanted to become an independent and a federated nation; country!
* After the result of federation, Australia made its own Commonwealth (Commonwealth of Australia)!
* Federation also happened so that artists could be now known as a Australian artist. If Australia did not have federation it would almost feel like we are baby sit by England!
* In 1888 the 6 British colonies found out that they were to small to defend themselves from any attack or offence so federation also happened for that reason!
* When federation happened it made Australia's population rise in 1000's!
Who Was Involved In The Federation Process?
* The key people who were involved in federation were: Andrew Inglis Clark, Samuel Griffith, Alfred Deakin, John Quick, Sir Richard Baker, Sir Robert Randolph Garren, Charles Kingston and Sir Henry Parkes!
* Many artists were involved in Federation because they wanted to Federation happen!
* Artists wanted federation to happen because they wanted to be recognized as an Australian!
* As we all know Edmund Barton was Australia's first Prime Minister, he was also into the idea for federation to happen. After federation Edmund Barton was chosen to be Prime Minister because he was intelligent, he was with a calm temper and had a sense of humor!
* Sir Henry Parkes was a person who wanted federation to happen. He wasn't like the kind of person who was like ''maybe federation is good,'' he was "like federation is a great idea for Australia!"
* Sir Henry Parkes (the father of federation) is remembered for his draft constitution which shaped the Australian rules and laws. He drew up this constitution in his speech which is remembered as the Tenterfield speech held in his honour at a banquet!
When Where The Following Born And When Did They Die:
Born: February 24, 1848
Died: November 14, 1907
Born: June 21, 1845
Died: August 9, 1920
Born: August 3, 1856
Died: October 7, 1919
Born: April 14, 1852
Died: June 17, 1932
Sir Richard Baker:
Born: June 22, 1842
Died: March 18, 1911
Sir Robert Randolph Garren:
Born: February 10, 1867
Died: January 11, 1957
Born: October 22, 1850
Died: May 11, 1908
Sir Henry Parkes:
Born: May 27, 1815
Died: April 27, 1896
Questions About Edmund Barton:
1. Who was Australia's first Prime Minister?
2. What was Edmund Barton like?
3. What did Edmund Barton command when he spoke?
Prime Ministers (1901-2015)
Chris Watson 1904-1904
George Reid 1904-1905
Alfred Deakin 1909-1910
Joseph Cook 1913-1914
Andrew Fisher 1914-1915
Billy Hughes 1915-1923
Stanley Bruce 1923-1929
James Scullin 1929-1932
Joseph Lyons 1932-1939
Earle Page 1939-1932
Arthur Fadden 1941-1941
John Curtin 1941-1945
Frank Forde 1945-1945
Ben Chifley 1945-1949
Robert Mensies 1949-1966
Harolt Holt 1966-1967
John McEwen 1967-1968
John Gorton 1968-1971
William McMahon 1971-1972
Gough Whitlam 1972-1975
Malcolm Fraser 1975-1983
Bob Hawke 1983-1991
Paul Keating 1991-1996
John Howard 1996-2007
Julia Gillard 2010-2013
Kevin Rudd 2013-2013
Tony Abbott 2013-?
How Did Federation Change Australia?
* Federation changed Australia by making it a popular nation which gave people lots of jobs, money and a better life!
* But not all of the effects of federation were positive, with all of these new people coming from all over the world, especially from China, the original Aussies jobs were becoming scarce with all of these new Chinese people coming in working for longer hours and less pay Aussie jobs were becoming hard to get!
* It made more and more people come to Australia because it was a lot better than their own nation's life!
* After the federation-referendum, lots more referendums benefiting Australia came about for e.g.: The referendum allowing aboriginal people to vote (1967) and to have the rights to be regular Australians, as well as being able to leave Australia!
* Federation also changed Australia by allowing many different cultures/people to immigrate into Australia!
* Federation also allowed the six colonies to come together to make the perfect nation!
Why is federation considered to be such an important event?
* If federation didn't happen, the chances are that we wouldn't be here right now. In our opinion (as in Barath and Andrew) we think that federation is an important event because it shaped the 6 colonies to become Australia!
* Since federation was established, Australia had more and more people immigrating to Australia for a better life with more choices!
* Federation is considered to be such an important event because it finally made all six colonies to become one awesome nation!
* Federation is also an important event because when the six colonies came together our army forces became more powerful than ever before and made other countries nervous of Australia if they were to attack us!