Career Center Tips & Timelines 18 October 2021
There are quite a few events scheduled through the Career Center that is taking place during lunches and our Hornet Times. You can find them in the event section below and on the calendar of events a little further in the resources section. College Fair is set for 27 October - registration link will be found in Student email. The fair includes a dedicated workshop held by the college recruiters for college applications, Q&A, and processes.
Check the resources below for links to applications, timelines, testing, and scholarships such as the Washington Opportunity Scholarship - Career and Technical Scholarship, due October 24, found in the List of Scholarship Resources. This scholarship is for students heading into careers such as healthcare, welding, manufacturing, or IT.
Reminder Financial Aid applications (FAFSA/WASFA) opened October 1. Regardless of your or your family's income, students should apply. It is a ZERO obligation application that is free and assists in covering trade schools and college expenses; tuition, housing, food expenses, books, and materials.
As always, need assistance, I am here to help. Contact me.
pronounced Deeann Fritchee
She | Her | Hers
Career & College Specialist
Enumclaw High School
(360) 802-7669 main office
(360) 802-7825 direct line
Here at EHS we use a great resource to assist in the completion of Financial Aid and Scholarships, Going Merry. The link to sign up is below in the resources. Once on the website select sign-up, use your personal email not student school email then complete the information in your profile. See the image on the right; use the menu option to check your profile to make sure you have answered all the sections. You will then be able to upload your transcript and request letters of recommendation, which many of the scholarships require. Upon completing your profile, you can download the app to your phone and apply for scholarships or check the status of scholarships from your phone. As a Senior, this is where you will find the local scholarships provided by generous donors in our community. This resource will remain available to you after you graduate and every year you are in college or trade school. There are other database search engines in the resource section below as well.
- Financial Aid Application Opened - 1 October 2021
- PSAT - 26 October for Freshman and Juniors
- AP Students must register for the AP Exams by 12 November in CollegeBoard AP Classroom, regardless if they plan to take the exams or not. If students do not register by 12 November they will not be able to later. They can opt-out of the exam in the spring but not opt-in. Do not pay for AP exams until Spring.
In the Commons During Lunch:
- Coast Guard - 19 October
- Marines - 21 October
- Army - 27 October
- Air Force - 28 October
- Navy - 1 November
- Army National Guard - 3 November
- Marines - 4 November
In the Media Center during Hornet Times - Sign Up @ Career Center:
- Green River College Visit - 18 October
- Pacific Lutheran U. Visit - 20 October
- Warner Pacific U. Visit - 20 October - Virtual
- Merrimack College Visit - 21 October
- Whitworth U. Visit - 25 October
- Pacific Northwest College of Art Visit - 25 October
- Saint Martin's U. Visit - 27 October - Virtual
- Johnson & Wales U. - 27 October - Virtual
- Central WA U. Visit - 27 October
- Whittier College Visit - 1 November - Virtual
- Western Oregon Visit - 1 November - Virtual
- Saint Martin's U. Visit - 2 November - Virtual
- U. Of Puget Sound Visit - 2 November
- Boise State U. Visit - 4 November - Virtual
- U. of Oregon Visit - 10 November
- College Fair & Application Workshop 27 October @ 4:30 PM Registration Found in Student Email
- Career Fair TBD @ HS
- More fairs listed in Resources
Interpreter and Translator Careers
Here are a few examples.
- Foreign Service Officers
- Recreational Guides
What courses in high school would assist in becoming an interpreter?
- AP - Literature
- AP- Language
- AP Human Geography
- Foreign Language Courses
- U.S. History/World History/Military History
Individuals who are multi-lingual are in high demand from Spanish speaking to Sign Language and every language in between. If you grew up in a multi-lingual home or learning the language from elders in your community there are opportunities such as in the government, military, international businesses, and school districts beyond your imagination. There are a variety of careers needing individuals who have an aptitude for language and who speak more than one language. Our planet earth is diverse, with diversity comes a multitude of languages. Be the person who can bridge that gap.