April, 2016 * Hamilton Elementary School
4 8:00 AM Blue Chess Club
Report Cards go home
5 Kindergarten Graduation Portraits
6 Boosterthon Fun Run Pep Rally for Students
7 5th Grade Science Benchmark
No Visitors during testing
8 2nd Gr. Garden Day
11 3rd & 4th Math Benchmark
No Visitors during testing
6 PM Biztown Parent Training in Cafeteria
13 PK & Kindergarten Pre-Registration
14 9:30-10:30 AM 5th Grade Day Parent Planning Session
4:00 PM Choral Festival at Berry Center
15 Boosterthon Fun Run:
PK, K & 1st 9:30-10:30 AM
2nd & 3rd 10:30-11:30 AM
4th & 5th 2:15-3:15 PM
**Please no lunch visitors due to schedule changes**
18 8:00 AM Red Chess Club
5th Grade Biz Town Interviews
22 3rd Gr Garden Day
Go Green for Earth Day
9:00 AM VIPS Appreciation Breakfast
10:00 AM PTO Meeting
12:45 PM Kinder Dining with Dads Event
25 8:00 AM Blue Chess Club
9:00 AM Biztown Parent Training
24 End of 3rd Nine Weeks
9:15 AM Acrodunk Program for 3, 4, 5
27 Progress Reports go home
28 8:00 AM Red Chess Club
2 2016-17 Kindergarten Round-Up
Houston Texans Torro Program for 3, 4, 5
5 5th Grade Biz Town Field Trip
6 5th Grade Parent Involvement Science Activity 2:50 PM
9 3rd, 4th & 5th - Math STAAR Test
10 3rd, 4th & 5th - Reading STAAR Test
11 5th - Science STAAR Test
20 3rd Grade Parent Involvement Activity
23 Field Days: Kdg at 9 AM, 3rd Gr. at 12:30 PM
24 Field Days: 1st Gr at 9 AM, 4th Gr. at 12:30 PM
25 Field Days: 2nd Gr at 9 AM, 5th Gr. at 12:30 PM
26 Field Days: (AM) PK, PPCD 9:30 AM, (PM) PPCD 1:30 PM
4th Grade Parent Involvement Picnic & Poetry Activity 1:15 PM
27 5th Grade Day Celebration
Farewell to 5th Gr. Social at 2:30 PM
30 Memorial Day Holiday
31 End of Year Parties
1 Last Day of School
No Lunch Visitors dates
- Thursday, April 7 - 5th Gr. Benchmark Testing
- Monday, April 11 - 3rd/4th Gr. Benchmark Testing
- Friday, April 15 - Boosterthon Fun Run
Preregistration for 2016-2017 Kindergarten classes will be held on Wednesday, April 13, 2016 from 9:30 -2:30 PM. Children entering Kindergarten for the first time must be five years old on or before September 1, 2016. Due to Texas state law on age requirements, no exceptions will be made. The district provides full-day kindergarten.
To register, parents must provide the school with the following items:
· Certified copy of the child’s birth certificate from the Bureau of Vital Statistics (see City of Houston Bureau of Vital Statistics to obtain a birth certificate if born in the city of Houston)
· Current immunization record
· Proof of residency (a current electric, gas, or water bill or a lease agreement)
· Social security card for each child, if available.
· Photo ID of parent or guardian
To be eligible for the Prekindergarten program, your child must be 4 years of age by September 1, 2016 AND meet an eligibility requirement as determined by Texas law. No exceptions can be made.
· The child is unable to speak and comprehend the English language and are Limited English Proficiency (LEP) students. Students must complete a Home Language Survey and the child must qualify on the Pre -IDEA Proficiency Test (Pre-IPT),which will be administered at registration
· The child is educationally (economically) disadvantaged: Eligible to participate in the National Free or Reduced-Price Lunch Program based on family income.
· The child is educationally (economically) disadvantaged: Eligible by having a food stamp or Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF) Eligibility Group Number (EDG#).
· The child is homeless, as defined by 42 U.S.C. Section 11302.
· The child has a parent or official guardian that is an active duty member of the Armed Forces of the United States, including the state military forces or a reserved component of the armed forces, who is ordered to active duty by proper authority. This includes uniformed service members who are Missing in Action (MIA).
· The child has a parent or official guardian that is a member of the Armed Forces of the United States, including the state military forces or a reserved component of the armed forces, who was injured or killed while serving on active duty.
The term “member of the armed forces” includes:
• active duty uniformed members (parents or official guardians) of the Army, Navy, Marine Corps, Air Force, or Coast Guard who are assigned to duty stations in Texas or who are Texans who have eligible children residing in Texas;
• activated/mobilized uniformed members of the Texas National Guard (Army or Air Guard), or activated/mobilized members of the Reserve components of the Army, Navy, Marine Corps, Air Force, or Coast Guard who are Texas residents regardless of the location of the reserve unit; and
• uniformed service members who are Missing in Action (MIA).
· The child has ever been in the conservatorship (foster care) of the Department of Family and Protective Services (DFPS), as well as children in a conservatorship as a result of an adversary hearing. This includes children returned to home, kinship placement, and adoptions.
Hamilton Boosterthon Playground Fun Run
Fun Run - April 15
9:30-10:30 AM PK, Kdg & 1st Grade
10:30-11:30 AM 2nd & 3rd Grade
2:15-3:15 PM 4th & 5th Grade
All proceeds will go toward new playground equipment!
Field Days are coming!
Parents are invited to attend. No need to enter the building - go directly to the playground.
Please note CFISD district policy: School-age children will not be allowed to check out and attend sibling events held on campus. In addition, school age children from other campuses are not permitted on campus to attend this event.
Monday, May 23
9:00 AM-11:30 AM Kindergarten
12:30 PM-3:00 PM 3rd Grade
Tuesday, May 24
9:00 AM-11:30 AM 1st Grade
12:30 PM-3:00 PM 4th Grade
Wednesday, May 25
9:00 AM-11:30 PM 2nd Grade
12:30 PM-3:00 PM 5th Grade
Thursdau. <au 26
9:30 AM-11 AM Morning PPCD & PK
1:30 PM-3:00 PM Afternoon PPCD
*Please no lunch visitors on these days due to limited parking for Field Days*
***PBIS and Kind Minds***
April Kind Minds Challenge
This month our Kind Minds focus will be on being aware of others around you. In the book, The Invisible Boy by Trudy Ludwig, the main character feels invisible because he is excluded from the group. This isn't because the children are bullying him, but because they just don't notice him. As a class, students will create a likeness of an invisble boy to hang outside their classroom to help remind students to think about ways to be include those who might feel invisible. This is a wonderful opportunity for you to discuss with your child the need to be aware of others and the importance of including those that are sometines forgotten.
Pennies for Patients
Lion families, we are so excited to announce that our fundraiser for Pennies For Patients raised $4,346.17. This is the most money we have ever raised, beating last year by $957.39! We are very excited that we are able to help The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. Thank you so much for all your donations and helping us make a difference in peoples lives.
***News from the Library***
Congratulations to our 4th grade Name That Book team! They won the regional competition and earned a spot in the district competition at the Berry Center on March 8th. Although they didn't win the district, they represented Hamilton with outstanding sportsmanship and tremendous effort. Team members are: Kara Arnold, Elise Fawcett, Annie Li, Anya Rodricks, Bethany Selz, Ella Smoker, and Diego Vaca. We are proud of EVERY student who participated this year, and hope they enjoyed reading some wonderful books. Next year's list will be released soon and makes for fabulous summer reading for any student!
6 Flags Read to Succeed tickets will be sent home the last week of school. Thanks to everyone who participated, and to volunteer Holly Spee for helping to input all of the students!
Thanks to a very successful fall book fair and Barnes and Noble in-store fair, we will not be having a spring book fair. Please stock up on summer reading and help build classroom libraries by ordering books through the flyers sent home by reading teachers.
***Birthday Book Club***
Miguel Gonzalez Del Castillo
Miguel Gonzalez Del Castillo
2016-17 Open PTO Positions
Our April PTO meeting and VIPS Appreciation Breakfast will be held Friday, April 22 at 9:00 a.m. Every Hamilton volunteer is welcome and encouraged to attend if possible. Thank you for a great year!
If you have suggestions, comments or questions about anything for the next year (fundraising, volunteering opportunities etc.) the time to speak up is right now!! Many things are 'set' for the 2016-17 year at these final monthly meetings, and we need your help.
We are also in great need of PTO volunteers to continue to make Hamilton a top CFISD school. If we don't have parents/grandparents step up to help, many of our PTO programs will be eliminated. If you have a Kindergartner, 1st or 2nd grader, we especially encourage you to consider helping. No experience is required, and the outgoing committee chairs and PTO VIPS will be able to offer guidance. Please email me with any questions you may have.
Kara French and Lindsay Marsh
PTO is in need of the following for the 2016-17 school year:
**PTO President**- Email for more information
1. Clinic/Student Health Advisor
Help Nurse Matthews coordinate volunteers in the Clinic
Help keep our front gardens green. Garden visits tie into the 2nd grade science curriculum. Perfect opportunity for 2nd grade parents!!
3. 5th Grade BizTown
Work with 5th grade on their annual trip to BizTown in the Spring of 2017.
Help spoil our teachers throughout the year by coordinating staff appreciation for holidays and events. Perfect volunteer opportunity for a group!!
5. Junior Achievement
Coordinate classroom visits for JA throughout the year for all grades. Contact mostly done via email. Great opportunity for a working parent.
6. PAWS Store
Set up volunteers during lunches for students to redeem their PAWS Bucks.
7. Science Kinder
Coordinate Science visits for Kindergarten Do you know an 'incoming' Kindergarten parent who might be interested? Please forward this email. Great 1st volunteer opportunity!
Work with the Balfour representative to select a theme and create the Hamilton yearbook. Contact mostly done via email. Great opportunity for a working parent.
Coordinate the collection of boxtops from classrooms throughout the year. Great 1st volunteer opportunity!
Box Tops for Education
Our last Box Top collection will be on May 20.
**The homeroom from each grade level that collects the MOST BOX TOPS will receive a prize**
Prizes include: extra recess, cookie parties, and ice cream parties!
There are even prizes for the homeroom teacher!
-To raise $7,000 in free money for our kids!
-100% participation – even if it’s just one coupon!
We can do this!
Clip your box tops from participating products.
*When clipping include the entire Box Top$ for Education® Logo, containing the words
“Official Coupon”, the monetary value and expiration date for each box top.*
Please make sure that the box top has not expired!
Each Box Top$ for Education® is worth 10 cents toward our school.
Send them to school with your child, on the box top collection sheet or in a ziplock bag.
Parent & Student Handbook
CFISD District Information
2016-2017 Calendar: http://www.cfisd.net/en/calendar/
School Messenger: Text Message Sign Up
The directions for adding text messages to your School Messenger account are in the link below. Next year, instead of using Remind 101, HES will be sending text messages via School Messenger. Please stay connected by adding the text message feature to your School Messenger account.
Directions for School Messenger: http://www.cfisd.net/files/6514/1080/3632/SchoolMessenger_Contact_Manager_-_Parent_Handout_CFISD.pdf
Follow HES on Twitter @Hamilton_Lions
Follow our HES on Instagram by searching for Hamilton_Lions
Don't forget to keep up to date with PTO events, news, and reminders by "liking" their Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/HamiltonElementaryPTO