March 15, 2019
SkillsUSA Offers National Championships Scholarship In Partnership with Harbor Freight Tools for Schools
SkillsUSA, in partnership with Harbor Freight Tools for Schools, announces a travel scholarship opportunity to the SkillsUSA Championships. Eligible SkillsUSA members can apply to receive up to $1,500 to assist in attending the 2019 National Leadership and Skills Conference (NLSC).
Applications will be accepted from March 15-May 10. Recipients will be announced May 15. For full details including eligibility, visit: https://www.skillsusa.org/membership-resources/scholarships-financial-aid/harbor-freight-tools-for-schools/
Awards will be open to students who are members of SkillsUSA chapters at public high schools in the United States, eligible to compete on behalf of their state in the SkillsUSA 2019 NLSC, and are registered to compete in the following contests at the 2019 NLSC:
- Additive Manufacturing
- Architectural Drafting
- Automotive Refinishing Technology
- Automotive Service Technology
- Aviation Maintenance Technology
- CNC Milling Technology
- CNC Technician
- CNC Turning Technology
- Collision Repair Technology
- Diesel Equipment Technology
- Electrical Construction Wiring
- Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning and Refrigeration (HVACR)
- Industrial Motor Control
- Major Appliance and Refrigeration Technology
- Marine Service Technology
- MLR (Maintenance Light Repair) (technology demo)
- Motorcycle Service Technology
- Power Equipment Technology
- Residential Systems Installation and Maintenance
- Sheet Metal
- Welding Fabrication
- Welding Sculpture
Students eligible to compete at the 2019 NLSC in the following contests may receive these scholarships, provided they were enrolled in one of the skilled trades program areas listed above during the 2018-2019 school year:
- Action Skills
- American Spirit
- Career Pathways Showcase: Industrial Engineering Technology
- Career Pathways Showcase: Natural Resources and Agriculture
- Chapter Business Procedure
- Chapter Display
- Community Action Project
- Community Service
- Customer Service
- Employment Application Process
- Extemporaneous Speaking
- Job Interview
- Job Skill Demonstration A
- Job Skill Demonstration Open
- Opening and Closing Ceremonies
- Occupational Health and Safety
- Outstanding Chapter
- Prepared Speech
- Principals of Technology
- Promotional Bulletin Board
- Quiz Bowl
March Madness Bundle Covers Work Ethics, Presentations
Set your students up for success in the classroom and workplace with tools that prepare them for everyday dilemmas as well as leadership opportunities. With RESOLUTE: Ethics at Work Cards (P101), students gain insight about conflicting values, and they discover the possible options and consequences. Leveraging Your Leadership with POWERRful Presentations (P52) provides students six simple steps to give speeches impact. The Teacher’s Guide provides lesson plans to help teachers help students enhance their public speaking skills. Save with the purchase of the March bundle-duo through March 31, 2019.
STOCK NO. / BMAR2019 $29.95
mikeroweWORKS Foundation Travel Scholarship Available to Those in Need
The mikeroweWORKS Foundation, in partnership with SkillsUSA, offers a $1,000 scholarship opportunity for SkillsUSA members who have competed and placed first in their state association competition.
The scholarship provides support for SkillsUSA state contest winners who have insufficient personal, chapter, school or community resources to participate at the 2019 SkillsUSA Championships in Louisville, Ky. Scholarships will be awarded, based on need, to offset the costs of travel and participation in the national championships.
The award is based on a student-written, one-page narrative describing the student’s financial need for the scholarship including the lack of school or community resources. Preference will be given to applicants from program areas of manufacturing and industrial applications, construction, technical computer applications, firefighting, electronics and transportation.
Students may be nominated with a letter of recommendation written by their SkillsUSA advisor or state director. Applications must be submitted via the online form to the national headquarters of SkillsUSA for review and determination by midnight ET May 15. Recipients will be informed on June 1.
To apply for the mikeroweWORKS Foundation Travel Scholarship, applicants:
- Must be a gold-medal winner at their 2019 state competition, advancing to national competition
- Have never attended the National Leadership and Skills Conference prior to this year
- Be a SkillsUSA member in good standing
- Must reasonably demonstrate financial need for scholarship
- Must submit application and attachments via online submission no later than May 15, 2019, at midnight ET
- Will preferably be enrolled in program areas of manufacturing and industrial applications, construction, technical computer applications, firefighting, electronics and transportation
Full details and application can be found at: www.skillsusa.org/membership-resources/scholarships-financial-aid/the-mikeroweworks-foundation-travel-scholarship/
Advance CTE Offers ‘Double the Investment’ Campaign
Advance CTE has a goal to collect 10,000 signatures from employers by April. Here’s how you can help achieve that goal:
Step 1: Make Targeted Outreach to Employers to Sign On!
- The first step is asking employers with whom you currently partner to sign on to support doubling the investment in CTE (if you work for a company or organization that can sign on, that’s a great place to start!).
- Sign-ons are needed from small businesses to large corporations in every state and in every industry. Every employer that signs on provides one more proof point to Congress that the time is now to increase the federal investment in CTE.
- This is a year-long campaign, but the goal is 10,000 signatures by April.
Step 2: Spread the Word
- Let as many people as possible know about the campaign — and invite them to ask employers to sign on to support doubling the investment in CTE. The signatures collected will be critical to building visibility and support for CTE with members of Congress.
- Visit the share page to find sample tweets, graphics, email blurbs and more to help you communicate about the campaign.
- Share the campaign with CTE champions, including statewide advisory councils, state CTE administrators, career and technical student organizations, deans of workforce education, community college presidents and others. CTE supporters are well-positioned to ask their employer partners to sign on to support doubling the investment.
Step 3: Get Involved in the Campaign
- Share stories of what successful CTE looks like in your state. Email ISupportCTE@careertech.org to learn how.
- Let Advance CTE know why you think it’s important to double the federal investment in CTE. Submit a short blog or testimonial to ISupportCTE@careertech.org
- Follow Advance CTE on Twitter (@CTEWorks) and engage. They will be promoting the campaign using #ISupportCTE and encourage you to do the same.
SkillsUSA Scholarship Opportunities Now Open for Applications
Applications for several scholarships are now open to benefit SkillsUSA students in pursuit of higher education or certification in their chosen field. Help spread the word so more SkillsUSA students can take full advantage of these opportunities:
- SkillsUSA, in conjunction with the National Technical Honor Society, will award four $1,000 scholarships to SkillsUSA members who are also members of NTHS. Awards will be made directly to an accredited educational institution. Recipients may only win one SkillsUSA/NTHS scholarship per lifetime. Deadline for applications is April 1. For more information and to apply: skillsusa.org/membership-resources/scholarships-financial-aid/national-technical-honor-society/
- Sharon Melton Myers Memorial Scholarship: https://skillsusa.wufoo.com/forms/sharon-melton-myers-memorial-scholarship/. Deadline is April 15.
- Fine Homebuilding #KeepCraftAlive Scholarship: https://skillsusa.wufoo.com/forms/keepcraftalive-scholarship/. Deadline is May 1.
For additional scholarship information, continually check the website at: www.skillsusa.org/membership-resources/scholarships-financial-aid/