Veritas Newsletter October 2023
What's Going On At Veritas!
October 1, 2023
Monday, Oct 2 - Truth and Reconciliation Statutory Holiday (school closed)
Wednesday, Oct 4 - School Mass Led by Grade 4s at 9:00 am
Friday, October 6 - Thanksgiving Assembly at 10:35 led by Grade 1
Monday, Oct. 9 - Thanksgiving Statutory Holiday (school closed)
Tuesday, Oct. 10 - Davison Apple Orchard orders due (VPSG Fundraiser)
Thursday, Oct. 12 - Council Meeting at 7 pm
Monday, Oct. 16 - VPSG Meeting at 7 pm
Friday, Oct. 20 - Professional Development Day; No Students in Attendance
Friday, Oct 20 - Dielemans Orders due (VPSG Fundraiser)
Monday, Oct. 23 - Scholastic Book Fair Begins - watch for more information!
Wednesday, Oct. 25 - School Mass Led by Grade 9s
Thursday, Oct. 26 - Student-Led Conferences; No Students in Attendance
Friday, Oct. 27 - Student-Led Conferences; No Students in Attendance
Monday, Oct. 31 - Halloween - Come Dressed in your Costumes!
Veritas Parent Support Group
A message from Birke Schemmerling-Araujo, VPSG Chair . . .
The Veritas Parent Support Group (VPSG) is looking forward to another successful year of supporting the school, teachers, and students in their day to day curriculum, special activities, as well as updates and additions to classroom and school equipment. To accomplish this, fundraising is one of the main activities of the VPSG. Last year the VPSG was able to fundraise $30 000 that, along with other grants, was used to purchase part of the next playground phase. Updates to playground equipment are needed as the equipment ages and government regulations change. This year, we hope to raise $40 000 to contribute to the remaining balance of the next phase of the playground.
VPSG Executive: The VPSG Executive includes a Chair, Vice-Chair, Treasurer and Secretary. Birke Schemmerling-Araujo is our Chair, Ashley Medeiros is our Vice-Chair, Gillian McCutcheon is our Secretary, and Joan Iamele is our Treasurer.
Parent Reps and Volunteers: In addition to the VSPG Executive, each grade also has a parent class representative who attends each meeting. Parent reps attend monthly VPSG meetings, arrange volunteers for hot lunch for the month assigned to their class, assist with fundraisers, and assist the classroom teacher where necessary. Your current parent reps are:
Kindergarten: Danielle Lawrence
Grade 1: Silvia Barg and Krystal de Medeiros
Grade 2: Ashley Medeiros and Megan Beedle
Grade 3: Birke Schemmerling-Araujo and Brit Kinihan
Grade 4: Teresa Gonzalez
Grade 5: Megan Beedle
Grade 6: Silvia Barg and Birke Schemmerling-Araujo
Grade 7: Candace Houlden
Grade 8: Lisa Schmidt
Grade 9: Jen Darby
VPSG Meetings: School / class activities are discussed at each meeting, which enables parents to feel more connected to the school and interact with other parents. We are always looking for more parents to join us - many hands make light work. The more input, the more ideas that can be generated. The next VPSG meeting will be Oct 16th from 7 to 8pm. There will be coffee and tea available. Childcare will also be provided in the gym for the first time by a few of our dedicated grade 8/9 students. I look forward to seeing everyone. If you have any questions at all please don’t hesitate to reach out to me (Birke) via text (250-615-1491), Facebook, or email (email@example.com). All parents who are interested in the VPSG are asked to take a few minutes to answer this very short questionnaire: https://forms.gle/7p5qKCL4dW8yEiG99
Hot Lunch: Hot Lunch began the last week of September and runs until Christmas Break. Individual Pizza Hut pizzas are available each Monday and other lunches are scheduled for Wednesdays. The operation of Hot Lunch relies on classroom reps and volunteers to assist each Wednesday; if volunteers are not found, that week of Hot Lunch may be cancelled. Hot lunch orders can be placed at https://munchalunch.com/schools/veritascatholicschool/
Items of Interest
Are you raising a digitally responsible child?: Safer Schools Together has released an updated publication titled Raising Digitally Responsible Youth: A Guide for Parents and Caregivers. This is an important read for all families! The document can be viewed at: https://resources.saferschoolstogether.com/link/352883/i/
Student Led Conferences: Student Led Conferences are scheduled for Thursday, October 26 and Friday, October 27. The link to sign up online will be shared in the coming week. Watch Seesaw announcements to sign up!
School Council: The second School Council meeting and AGM is on Thursday, October 12 at 7:00pm. The meeting begins with an open invitation to all, before we move to the in-camera portion of the meeting.
Before School Supervision: The supervision of students prior to the 8:35 bell is limited to the front of the school and the parking lot area. For the safety of our students, they are not permitted on any playground equipment (front playground or kindergarten area) or fields before school hours.
Absentee Notes: Please contact the school explaining your child's absences with a seesaw message to the Veritas Office, an email to the office (firstname.lastname@example.org) or a phone call (250-635-3035). Absentee reports are crucial to our school's funding, as numerous unexplained absences throughout the school year can mean less government funding for your child.
Parent To-Do List
- Proof of Address: The Ministry of Education requires that we have proof of address for every student on file. The easiest way to provide proof of address is with your driver's license or BCID. Other options include a rental agreement, utility bill, municipal tax bill, or mortgage statement. Please either email a picture of your proof to email@example.com or bring it to the school office and we will make a copy.
- Tuition and School Fees: Please complete the blue payment option forms and specify your method of payment. Blue forms were sent home at the end of June in the final report card or mailed home in July to new families. If you require a new form, please stop by the school office. The email for e-transfers is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Criminal Record Check: All parents must have a CRC on file at the school office before volunteering in any school activities. CRC's are valid for five years, expiring on your birthday. If you haven't completed yours, you may do so online at https://justice.gov.bc.ca/criminalrecordcheck and use the access code DLTLFMPHUE. Please call the office if you have any questions.
- Driver's Abstract: All volunteer field trip drivers must have a current driver's abstract on file before volunteering as a driver on a school field trip. Driver's abstracts must be renewed when your driver's license is renewed. To complete your driver's abstract, please visit https://onlinebusiness.icbc.com/clio/. Vehicle insurance must also be on file and a new copy provided when your insurance is renewed. A copy of your drivers license is also required.
- After School Care: After School Care (ASC) began on Wednesday, September 6. All forms, including immunization records, must be submitted prior to your child/ren attending ASC. Please call or visit the school office for ASC forms or to update your child's existing information.
During the month of October, there are two School Masses! The first Mass is on Wednesday, October 4 and will be led by the grade 4 class. During this Mass, the grade 4 students will receive their Bibles. The second Mass is on Wednesday, October 25 and will be led by the grade 9 class. Everyone is invited!
Kindergarten created band-aid hearts to signify working towards healing broken hearts!
Grade 5 visited Howe Creek on Orange Shirt Day!
Grade 9 visited the Nass Valley for the Wilps Ni'isjohl Memorial Totem Pole Rematriation!