Webquest Scavenger Hunt
By Genevieve Flynn
- The earliest computing device was an abacus. It was invented by Sumer/Babylonians around 2700-2300 B.C. and that was when the Sumerian abacus first appeared. In today's machines it has evolved into calculators.
- Pictures are below (attempted chronological order) ...
many of the modern calculator, computer software, and other technology. They
invented the first handheld calculator which changed the way that people work with
technology today. Texas Instruments helped spread the use of a calculator for
practical purposes and around the house.
4. On today's date which is February 8 in 2007 Google opens Gmail to everyone which is
a big deal because it revolutionized the mail industry. On my birthday which is March
11 in 2004 there was a British robot that was unveiled to help disabled people.
5. The year the internet was made public was 1991. E-Commerce was
beginning in 1991.
6. The website I chose was Twitter. Twitter was founded by Evan Williams, Jack Dorsey, Noah Glass, and Biz Stone. It was created March 21, 2006. Twitter is a website/app that allows people to broadcast daily messages to the world and explore their interests and stay connected. People can "tweet" 140 character messages. The purpose of Twitter is to help stay connected across a global scale which can help businesses or anyone with networking, building traffic/views to certain websites, business promotion through advertisements, and mostly social communication to keep people updated instantaneously. You can access Twitter from the app store or it is also a website and is free to use. It does not have a store but Twitter makes profit from businesses paying for advertisements and data licensing.
7. Bill Gates and Paul Allen founded Microsoft in 1975 and it is now worth $408.98 billion.
8. Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak founded Apple April 1, 1976. They were both college dropouts and wanted to create a user friendly computer. They wanted people to have a small computer they could put in their homes. They had started selling the computers out of their garages. Apple went public in 1980. They introduced the first color graphics. Wozniak left Apple in 1983. Picture below...
13. An example of product placement in a video game is in Uncharted 3 when Subway put in Subway meals and staff uniforms.
15. The first computer weighed around 1000kg and used about 1kW.
16. On May 11, 1997, a chess playing computer called Deep Blue defeated Russian chess grandmaster Garry Kasparov.
17. Plankalkul was a plan in 1940 by Kharl Zues to create a programming language for engineering purposes. It was the first high-level programming language to be designed for a computer.
18. About 62% of clothing and accessories are bought online. About 63.5 billion dollars were spent on this category alone last year.
19. Babylonians created the first mathematical bounds under the Hammurabi dynasty.
20. Landuse was discussed in Chapter 10 of "Geography in India".
- Abacus Website
- Abacus Picture, IBM 701 Picture, Geniac Picture, UNIVAC II Picture, Atari 400 Picture, Commodore 64 Picture
- Link to Texas Instruments
- Today's Date, My birthday
- Internet, E-Commerce
- Microsoft/net worth
- The First Computer Games
- Video Game Advertising
- Disney Ride
- Computer weight
- Chess playing computer
- Mathematical equations
- Chapter 10