Lincoln Crossing Colt Connection
September 15, 2019
Mrs. Hladun's Tidings
I jinxed us last week when I said it was cooling off! However, it is supposed to be much cooler on Monday, and maybe even a little wet...please be sure to label your child's outerwear!
We have noticed a significant increase in the number of phone calls asking us to deliver messages or updates on after school pickup plans. Certainly there are occasions where an emergency has come up and plans change. However, we ask that you make every effort to make/confirm arrangements with your child about after school pick up before you say good bye each morning. Delivering messages to the classroom is disruptive and interrupts teaching and learning.
As we come into germ season, a reminder to all of our families to chat with their children about avoiding sharing personal items like water bottles, to wash their hands often, and to use a tissue when wiping their nose or sneezing. Children should stay home if they have a fever, and be fever free without medication for 24 hours before returning to school.
In addition, we have had an incidence of lice on campus. The impacted classrooms have been notified, but please remind your children not to share personal items like hats, hair ties, jackets, etc... which helps to limit the spread of lice.
In order to provide and extra layer of protection from germs and lice, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE pick up a pair of personal headphones for your child to store and use at school. Be sure to label them with your child's name using a sharpie or a very sticky label. Here is a list on Amazon of headphones starting at $6 that might be perfect. We find that most students are much more comfortable with over the ear headphones instead of ear buds...they tend to last longer, too!
Boundary Study / WPUSD School Board Meeting Discussion
Volunteering at School
A Live Scan is valid for the adult for as long as any of your children are enrolled in the district (at any district school).
We are working with Sunset Notary to set up another Live Scan booth at our Boo Bash on 10/26 - stay tuned. In the office, we have a copy of firms that can provide Live Scan services in the meantime - stop in and we can get you all the details.
Upcoming Spirit Week
- Monday, 9/23 - PJ Day
- Tuesday, 9/24 - Sports Outfit Day
- Wednesday, 9/25 - Wacky Wednesday (socks, hair, mismatching)
- Thursday, 9/26 - Dress as your Hero
- Friday, 9/27 - Over the Top Colt Pride
A reminder that any spirit outfits should be in line with our school dress code, and no masks or weapons are allowed.
Parking, Drop Off & Pick Up Safety
We provide supervision from 7:55-8:10 am and again from 2:40-3 pm (1:40-2 on Mondays). We find it is less congested before 8 am and after 2:50 pm.
This year, you'll see some new signage out and more student greeters ready to help your child out of the car. We ask you to keep two thing in mind - stay in your lane and pull all the way forward to make drop off/pick up as easy as possible!
We realize that we have more bike riders than EVER before - we are evaluating where our resources are best served in the morning - at the light on Groveland & Joiner or the stop sign on Groveland & Danbury. Stay tuned! If you want to volunteer to help us out with crosswalk duties, that would be amazing - let us know!!!
Remember that children who are riding a bike, scooter or skateboard must wear a helmet - it's the law! We ask that children walk their wheeled vehicles once they are on campus for everyone's safety.
Also - we've heard from our community that there are a lot of debris on Groveland between Joiner and Ferrari Ranch - please use that road (driving, walking, biking) with caution during the construction!
Week of September 16th:
- now-Fri., 9/20: Believe Fundraiser in process
- Mon., 9/16: Early Release Monday
- Mon., 9/16, 1-1:40 pm: Leadership Ambassadors Meeting
- Mon, 9/16, 1:45-2:45 pm: Choir Rehearsal
- Thurs., 9/19, 5:30 pm, Library: PTC Community Meeting
- Fri., 9/20: Colt Pride Friday!
- Fri., 9/20, 1:30-3:30 pm, MPR: Musical Theater Auditions (students will be given a window of time to audition)
Week of September 23rd:
- Spirit Week - see details above!
- Mon., 9/23: Early Release Monday
- Mon., 9/23, 1-1:40 pm: Leadership Ambassadors Meeting
- Mon, 9/23, 1:45-2:45 pm: Choir Rehearsal
- Wed., 9/25: Planned "Lock Out" Drill" (you can see what that involves on our website: lces.wpusd.org > Parents > Stay Informed > School Safety or click here)
- Thurs., 9/26: Phil Tulga Enrichment Assemblies (thanks to our PTC & Mr. Beatty!)
- Fri., 9/27: Colt Pride Friday!
- Fri, 9/27, 1:40-2:40 pm: Musical Theater Audition Call Backs
Week of September 30th:
- Mon., 9/30: Safety Day for Grades 3-5
- Mon., 9/30: Early Release Monday
- Mon., 9/30, 1-1:40 pm: Leadership Ambassadors Meeting
- Mon, 9/30, 1:45-2:45 pm: Choir Rehearsal
- Thurs., 10/3-Mon., 10/7: No School - Fall "mini break"
- Thurs., 10/10 at 6 pm and Fri., 10/11 at 8:30 am (pick your time!): Happy Family Workshop - Free Range Children in a High Tech Age (click here for a summary of the session)
- Mon., 10/14: No School, Teacher Work Day
- Sat., 10/26: PTC Halloween Boo Bash & Trunk or Treat
- Late October/Early November (10/28, 10/31 and 11/7): Sami's Circuit - intro assembly, student circuit and family circuit
- Mon., 11/11: No school in honor of Veteran's Day
- Week of 11/18-22: Extra Early Release Days (release at 12:30) and parent/teacher conferences
*click here for our new music (choir, grade level music, musical theater) website!
*click here for our new Leadership Ambassador website!
Every Friday is a Colt Pride day! We love it all - new items, vintage Colt Gear, homemade items, Zebra gear, and blue & yellow! Click for our online spirit wear store - open 24/7/365!
Check out this amazing new Leadership Ambassador's webpage - you can find calendar info, Action Team info and information about the LA training curriculum!
Click for more information about school meal pricing and breakfast and lunch menus. You can also access My School Bucks to add to your child's lunch balance and submit an online application for free/reduced meals.
Click to view a map and video that explains how we ask families to help us keep kids safe. Note that it is much less congested between between 7:50-8:00 am and again between 2:50-3 pm. Supervision is provided at 7:55 am and until 3 pm (2 on ER Days).
The district has approved and published 2 years of school calendars! Click for details!
Fall & Early Winter - Non School Days or Special Release Days
- Thurs., 10/3-Mon., 10/7: Fall Break/no school
- Mon., 10/14: Teacher work day/no school
- Mon., 11/11: Veteran's Day/no school
- Week of 11/18-11/22: Extra Early Release Days/Conference Week (12:30 release times)
- Week of 11/25-11/29: Thanksgiving Break/no school
- 12/23-1/3: Winter Break/no school
Every Monday is an Early Release Day!