~ February 2018 ~
McKinney ISD Department of Instructional Technology
Did you know?
See your student's campus administrator to see what's happening with innovation and technology on their campus.
Apps...What is it? What does it do?
- Epic Unlimited Books for Kids- a subscription-based ebook service for kids age 2–12. Kids and parents can choose from more than 15,000 books, and they can read the books or watch videos online or offline, on the Web, or on mobile devices. The collection includes 500 Spanish/English bilingual books. Books can be searched for by subject, genre, and age, and some are audio or read-to-me versions. ($4.99 monthly)
- Newsela- an app and website that provide leveled high-interest nonfiction texts that both provide rich content. Articles are posted daily at five levels of complexity for grades 2–12. For kids who are excited about current and trending events but struggle with reading, Newsela bridges that gap. Some texts are also available in Spanish.
- Yup! Homework Help- a subscription app that provides math, chemistry and physics help for middle and high school students (even AP classes) provided by live tutors, who can view the students homework (via photo) and provide students with step-by-step instruction and leading questions (not just the answers) through an instant message conversation.
1:The World Freshman Laptop Parent Meetings
The window for accessing campus surveys will be February 20-March 17. Each campus will have their own link for parent input. Please see your campus administrator or Media Resource Specialist for access directions. Parent surveys will be available to all MISD parents (PK-12) in both Spanish and English. Surveys take approximately 10 minutes to complete. Your input matters!
MISD students have the option of accelerating their course work by taking an additional
courses for high school credit online during the Spring of 2017. Courses are provided by Apex Learning and taught by MISD teachers. There are no course meeting times, and classes can be accessed 24/7 for the duration of the term. Online classes are available to students in grades 8-12 and include:
- U.S. Government (11th or 12th grade)
- Economics (11th or 12th grade )
- Psychology (8-12)
- Sociology (8-12)
- Health (8-12 )
- Creative Writing- (9-12 elective credit only)
- English IV-A and B (11-12 graders only)
Please access THIS FLYER for more information or see your student's counselor for advising. All courses are self paced so students can enroll any time until April 28.
Please add your name and email address to this form and you will automatically receive this newsletter each month. All email information will stay private to other viewers.