What's up in 2D!
Weekly happenings in the life of a second grader
February 27th- High Touch High Tech at school
February 28th- Academic Olympics
March 4th- PTO Meeting @ 8:30am
March 6th- Open House and Living Wax Museum! 6:00-7:00
March 10th- March 14th- Spring Break!
March 17th- Boosterthon Kick Off!
2. We will not laugh at or make fun of a person's mistakes nor use sarcasm or put downs!
3. We will use good manners saying, "please," "thank you," and "excuse me," and allow others to go first.
4. We will cheer each other to SUCCESS!
5. We will help one another whenever possible!
6. We will recognize every effort and applaud it!
7. We will encourage each other to do our best!
8. We will practice virtuous living using the life principles!
The Life Principles
2. Effort -doing one's best in an endeavor. Ask your learner if they are giving their best effort at school!
3. Compassion: ability to share another's feelings or ideas.
4. Respect - paying proper attention or showing consideration to others.
5. Common Sense- thinking before acting, using good judgement.
6. Self- Discipline- the ability to choose and control one's own actions.
7. Friendship- caring for and trusting others
8. Problem Solving- creating solutions or finding answers to a problem.
9. Forgiveness- act of forgiving for an offense; pardoning
10. Justice- being fair and upholding what is right
11. Commitment- the ability to keep a promise or pledge
You are a genius and the world needs your contribution!
Here's what we need to KNOW!
Math: This week students have been practicing telling time to five minutes. We've also been discussing the timelines they created last week. These timelines will help them to make their timeline for their famous American project. Students have also had the opportunity to participate in math stations to sharpen their skills in various measurement opportunities.
GTI students will be completing their passion projects that they started at the beginning of the year. They will be making appointments to share with the class what they have learned. They can also choose to participate in the math challenge with Ms, Malone.
Here are some good websites to try at home for math skills.
Division math fact fluency - http://www.learninggamesforkids.com/math_division_games.html
Feed the monster - http://hiphiphooraymagazine.com/math/math%20facts%20monster.pdf
Science: This week we discussed the three basic types of clouds. Students learned how clouds get their names and we even took a walk outside to try and identify different clouds in the sky!
Language Arts: Students will be using their language arts time to conduct research and prepare their speech for the Living Wax Museum. Mrs. McConnell in the library helped us learn safe was to search for our American on links available on her website.
This week the patterns are 'wor' and 'ear'. We will work with each pattern throughout the week and Friday I will ask students to spell words containing that pattern. The activity on Friday is only practice and will not be part of a grade.
GTI students will continue their book clubs and begin a product to show their learning throughout the book. Students will also be working on their Passion Project during this time.
Social Studies: For the next few weeks Social Studies and Language Arts will be integrated for our Living Wax Museum!