Climates of American Samoa.
- Warm, tropical conditions through out the year.
- Hot temperatures are moderated by the Pacific Ocean trade winds.
Plants and animals of American Samoa.
- Ferns, Samoan Flycatchers, Tooth-billed Pigeon, unique snails, Solfia samoenis, Corybas betchei.
History of American Samoa.
- 1830 is when English missionaries and trades began arriving.
- Germany invaded a village in 1889.
- A typhoon wrecked both the American and Germany ships.
- Eastern Island became territory of the U.S, known as American Samoa.
- During WWII, from the age 14+ were combat trained.
People and languages.
- Over 362 villages.
- Sunday is a day of rest.
- Don't offer children money.
- Samoan is nationally language.
- English is official language in business, English is widely spoken.
- Villages are made up of customary land owned by extended family units.
- Lifestyle is rural.
Religion and education.
- 98.3% Christian, .7% agnostic, .3% Buddhist.
- Literacy rate is 97%.
- Education is compulsory and free for all children between ages 6 to 18.
Traditions, customs and foods.
- Shoes should be removed before entering a fale. (House)
- Ceremonial food is whole pigs, potatoes, salad, chop suey, pudding, cake and ice cream.
- Two-thirds of farms have less than die acres.
- Imports include food, fuel, raw materials and building materials.
- Limited natural freshwater resources.