AJS Weekly Bison Tracks
December 16, 2022
Keep reading over the holiday break!
- December 19 - Student Council PJ Day** Note change of date**
- December 21 - January 3 - Christmas Break (School closed)
- January 4 - Classes resume
- January 4, 2:16 p.m. - Early dismissal
- January 17 @ 4:15 p.m. - AMPS Band Meeting
- January 18 - Secondary French Immerson information session
- January 23, 6:00 p.m. - CPF Meeting
- January 23, 6:30 p.m. - School Council Meeting
- January 30 - Professional Learning Day (school closed)
- January 31 - Second semester begins
- February 1 - Early dismissal
- February 1- Returning student registration opens
P.E. Junior High Dance- December 20
The grade 7 and 8s will participate Block and Block 4. The grade 9s will have their core subject in Block 3 and then join the dance in Block 4. Their P.E. teachers are looking forward to seeing their learnings from the dance unit.
January Final Sittings
In the Spotlight
Edmonton Japanese Community Grade 8 Field Trip
Grade 8 social studies classes went to the Edmonton Japanese Community Centre to learn and explore about Japan and Japanese traditions.
They learned some origami
Physics 30 - Field trip to U of A
Students in Physics 30 took a field trip to the U of A labs. They took part in some experiments and met some AJS alumni. Former student Sherri gave a few students a personal tour of her chemistry lab.
| || |
Visual Comm Field Trip
Senior high students in Visual Communications visited NAIT and Cowan Graphics. While at NAIT, they were able to tour the Radio and Television studios with all the equipment. Do you recognize this news desk from an Edmonton TV station?
| || |
Come out and cheer on the Bison herd!!
Congratulations to our AJS Senior Men's Basketball team
- December 15, 16 & 17 - Sr. Varsity Basketball Bert Church Tournament, Airdrie
- December 19 @ 5:00 p.m. - Sr. Varsity Women's Basketball vs. M. E. LaZerte
- December 19 @ 6:30 p.m. - Sr. Varsity Men's Basketball vs. Archbishop MacDonald
- December 20 @ 5:30 p.m. - Jr. Varsity Men's Basketball @ Austin O'Brien
- January 9 @ 5:00 p.m. - Sr. Varsity Women's Basketball @ St. Oscar Romero
- January 9 @ 5:30 p.m. - Sr. Varsity Men's Basketball vs. Millwoods Christian
- January 10 @ 5:30 p.m. - Jr. Varsity Men's Basketball vs. Fort Saskatchewan
- January 11 @ 5:30 p.m. - Sr. Varsity Men's Basketball @ Eastglen
- January 11 @ 5:30 p.m. - Sr. Varsity Women's Basketball vs. St. Joseph
Junior High EIAA Basketball dates coming soon!!
Ardrossan Drama Players
Check out the AJS Drama department website for more details and rehearsal schedules. Updates and announcements about the junior high and senior high shows will be found here.
Callysto Hackathon 2022
Last week students from Ardrossan Junior Senior High (AJS) attended the EIPS Callysto Hackathon. Students from five junior high schools within the division gathered at Bev Facey Community High School for a day of learning data science and coding skills, and putting those new skills to work in challenges.
Students from AJS submitted the winning note books. Congratulation goes to:
- 1st Place: Kenzie (AJS) - Trees Challenge
- 2nd Place: Elijah and Jonah (AJS) - Python Turtles
Well done Bisons!
Student Council News
* Please note that PJ Day has been moved to Monday, December 19th as we have the Jr. High Dance on Tuesday, December 20
Ardrossan Music Parents Association (AMPS)
Hello Ardrossan Band Parents!
We at A.M.P.S. want to wish you the very best holiday season this year, full of joy and rest. And we wish you a new year full of prosperity and hope. Thank you for a year of support as we continue to raise more funds for our children in Mr. Basaraba’s band classes.
- Rafflebox 50/50 draw – we are already well over $650.00!! Tickets start at $10 each. Who wouldn’t like some extra “Christmas Cash”? We will draw on Dec 20th at 3 pm - https://www.rafflebox.ca/raffle/amps. This draw is good for ANYONE in Alberta so please share with all your friends and family. Good Luck!!!!
Did you know we have social media? Find us at “Ardrossan Music Parent Association” on Facebook and on Instagram!
Our next AMPS meeting is Tuesday, January 17th at 4:15 pm in the band room. Everyone is welcome to attend. We will be discussing upcoming band activities (Christmas concert, upcoming fundraisers, future band trips) and we would love to have band parents join us to share their ideas.
Don't forget to complete the AMPS Membership Form and either email it back to AMPSPres@gmail.com or send it to Mr. B! AMPS is a society and only 'members' can be involved.
We look forward to your support! If you have any questions, please contact Mr. B or the AMPS President (AMPSpres@gmail.com).
Yours in Music,
Ardrossan Junior Senior High School will close for the Christmas break at the end of the day on Tuesday, Dec. 20, 2022. The school will reopen on Wednesday, Jan. 4, 2023. During this time, if you have any school-related questions or concerns, contact Elk Island Public Schools (EIPS) Central Services at 780-464-3477.
EIPS Central Services Christmas Break Hours
Open December 22 and 23; 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Closed Dec. 26, 2022 to Jan. 2, 2023
Open January 3; 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. *for location and contact information visit www.eips.ca.
From everyone at Elk Island Public Schools, we wish all of you a happy holiday season and a wonderful New Year.
Where to Find the Information You Need
Elk Island Public Schools and Ardrossan Jr. Sr. High use a handful of key systems to share information with students and families. Depending on the information you’re looking for, it’s important to know where to look.
PowerSchool is the primary student information system within the Division. There is an associated app, but the functionality is limited, and families don’t need to download it. From the PowerSchool Parent Portal, you can:
- Access student grades and report cards;
- Review student absences;
- Pay school and transportation fees; and
- Submit official updates to student or family information.
The PowerSchool Student Portal provides similar access to grades and absence information for students directly.
Brightspace provides more of a day-to-day look what’s happening with your child’s learning communicated directly from your child’s teacher. From Brightspace Parent & Guardian, you can see your child’s:
- classroom activity feed,
- grade items and grade feedback from instructors,
- upcoming assignments,
- portfolio evidence, and
depending on which of the program functions are specifically used by your child’s teacher.
Brightspace for Students is where teachers share updates, calendar reminders and learning materials with students. Compatible with Google, it also allows students to submit assignments, complete quizzes, and see grades and teacher feedback. The Pulse app for students is associated with Brightspace for Students.
SchoolMessenger is the system the Division and schools use to send email and phone communication to families. The contact information in SchoolMessenger is populated from PowerSchool. Through SchoolMessenger, families can:
- receive general, emergency and attendance messages by phone, email or both; and
- manage their subscription preferences for these types of messages.
January Diploma Prep Sessions
Diploma Prep Sessions
Courses are designed for preparing students to write their Grade 12 diploma exams. The material presented in the classroom over 125 hours will be condensed and highlighted in this focused, 12-hour review course over a weekend. Courses will run from 9:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. with a half hour break for lunch. Course will be offered at Salisbury Composite High School (20 Festival Way) in Sherwood Park.
- January 7 & 8 - English 30-1, 30-2 and Social Studies 30-1, 30-2
- January 14 & 15 - Mathematics 30-1, 30-2, Biology 30, Chemistry 30, and Physics 30
Registration will open on Monday, October 17. https://www.eipscontinuinged.ca/
Registration will close on January 4 for English and Social Studies sessions, and on January 11 for Math and Sciences sessions.
Student refunds will not be given after registration closes.
Kickstand Connect - Virtual Mental Health Clinic
Kickstand Connect offers a virtual walk-in clinic with trained professionals and a safe space for group sessions, exclusively for young Albertans aged 12-25 and their parents or caregivers. It is a free online portal and mobile app where young people can virtually ‘walk in’ or pre-book appointments (up to a week in advance) with a mental health professional, peer support worker, employment specialist or participate in group activities and workshops. Based on a single session model, Kickstand Connect offers various walk-in and pre-booked services, none of which require a healthcare card, referral, or any form of payment.