Golf Activity Project
Karis and Surya
The height h (in feet) above the ground of a golf ball depends on the time, t (in seconds) it has been in the air. Earl hits a shot off the tee that has a height modeled by the function
f(t)= −16t^2+ 100t
2. What are the independent and dependent variables in this situation?
The dependent variable is the height the ball is at while in the air and independent variable is how long the ball is in the air at a certain height.
3. What is a reasonable domain and range for this function?
Domain: all real numbers Range: y≤156.25
4. How long is the golf ball in the air?
9. Tweedy Bird takes off from the green at the same time you tee off. His height is increasing at a rate of 4 feet per second. When will he be at the same height as your ball? What is that height? Graph this scenario.
Tweedy will be at the same height as me when I am at 0 seconds, where the height is 0.
10. Suppose Gloria and Earl stand side by side and teed off at the same time. The height of Gloria’s ball is modeled by the function ! ! = −16!2 + 80! . Earl hits a shot off the tee that has a height modeled by the function ! ! ￼ = −16!! + 100!. Whose golf ball will hit the ground first? How much sooner does it hit the ground? How high will Gloria’s ball go? Compare the two shots graphically.
Gloria’s golf ball hit the ground first, by 1.25 seconds. Gloria’s ball’s tallest height (max) was 100ft at 2.5 seconds. Earl’s tallest height (max) was 156.25ft at 3.125 seconds
11. Suppose Earl hit a second ball from a tee that was elevated 20 feet above the fairway.
a. What effect would the change in elevation have on the graph?
The height of the parabola will be taller and a bit wider
b. Write a function that describes the new path of the ball.
Y = -16x^2+100x+20
c. Graph the new relationship between height and time. Make sure to label the graph and to graph the original function as well as the new function in the given graph.
d. What would be a reasonable domain and range of this new function?
Range= 0≤Y≤ 176.25