Blue Valley North's Parent Newsletter - February 25, 2022
In this Newsletter …
A Letter from Your Principal
Kudos and Celebrations
BVN Bell Schedules
Mark Your Calendar
Durham Bus Information
Winter Activity Guide
A Letter from Your Principal
Hello, Mustang Community,
The weather looks great for the beginning of Spring Sports which begins on Monday, February 28. Physicals and Athletic Packets are due today, February 25, by 3:00 p.m., to Mrs. Anderson in the BVN Main Office. There is more information and a link to the packet in this newsletter under "Athletics."
Here’s next week’s schedule:
- 2/28 – Traditional 7-hour Day (change)
- 3/1 – ACT Testing Day for Juniors; no school for 9th, 10th, and 12th graders (change)
- 3/2 – Odd Block
- 3/3 – Even block
- 3/4 – Traditional 7-hour Day
ACT Testing Day is on Tuesday, March 1, for Juniors only and it is a NO SCHOOL day for everyone else. Juniors should arrive at the normal time, 7:40 a.m., to begin testing and it will end by 12:00 p.m. There will be a grab and go lunch available for purchase in the cafeteria after testing, and juniors can leave at that time. Please make sure your Junior has the following before they leave for school on March 1:
- Juniors must bring a state issued ID or student ID to be allowed in for testing on 3/1.
- Juniors should bring a calculator to use during testing.
- Check the lists outside student services to find their testing room for ACT Day.
- Phones and smart watches are prohibited in the testing rooms and will be collected by the proctor for the duration of testing.
Thanks for your support of Blue Valley North!
Kudos and Celebrations
BVN Presidential Scholar Nominees Announced (new)
The U.S. Presidential Scholars Program was established in 1964, by executive order of the President, to recognize and honor some of our nation's most distinguished graduating high school seniors. In 1979, the program was extended to recognize students who demonstrate exceptional talent in the visual, creative and performing arts. In 2015, the program was again extended to recognize students who demonstrate ability and accomplishment in career and technical education fields.
Each year, up to 161 students are named as Presidential Scholars, one of the nation's highest honors for high school students. The following Blue Valley North students have been nominated to be candidates for Kansas Presidential Scholars. The bolded names are the nominees who have chosen to complete the application process to move on in the competition for the opportunity to be named a Presidential Scholar.
Jordin Mackenzie ~ nominated for both Arts and PSP
Congratulations to these outstanding students and all the best to Anna, Lauren and Jordin that have chosen to move forward in this scholastic honor.
Congratulations to the 6A Scholars' Bowl Champions!
A dominant varsity team all year with a 49-5 win/loss record over the season, the Mustangs went into Regionals confident. After posting the highest average score and best record at the 6A Regional held at Washburn Rural on February 7th, the Blue Valley North Scholars' Bowl team traveled to Wichita West on February 12th in search of Blue Valley North's first Scholars' Bowl State Championship. After 6-1 record in prelims to take the 1 seed in semifinals, BVN defeated defending champions Wichita East 90-40 in semifinals. They went on to avenge their regionals final round loss against Manhattan by easily winning the rematch 80-40 to bring the trophy home.
On February 14, Varsity Girls' placed 2nd with Justyna Hayslett taking 4th overall 450 series.
Regionals was on February 22 and was amazing! Competition was fierce with 12 varsity schools representing. For the first time in 11 years, BVN will be represented at the Kansas High School State Bowling Tournament! Coach Nathan is so excited to go to Wichita next week with student athlete, Megan Meyer! Megan started bowling her freshman year with a 112 average,. She finished her senior year with a season average of 150. At regionals she bowled her personal high game (200), and is going to state with a 525 series!
BVN Pianists Perform at State Piano Festival
CONGRATS to BVN Pianists Eddie Mu, Quinten Schafer, Michelle Shin, and Zengtao Xing! All four gave wonderful performances at the State Piano Festival this past Saturday, with Eddie, Michelle, and Zengtao earning “I” Ratings for Superior performances and Quinten a “II” for Excellent performance. These are SPECTACULAR ratings indicative of high level performance. Congratulations!!
BVN Wind Ensemble performing at the Lied Center of Kansas at KU!!
Mustang Families, Everyone is invited to come support our BVN Wind Ensemble! We will be performing a joint concert with the KU Wind Ensemble at 2:30 p.m. this Sunday, 2/27. Come support our incredible Wind Ensemble Students as they complete a wonderful concert tour.
Sunday 2/27 Performance at the Lied Center of Kansas:
- Our Performance is at 2:30 p.m. Arrive early enough to park and get your ticket!
- It is a ticketed event. CLICK HERE to get tickets. Or you can buy them at the door.
- We perform at 2:30, then the KU Wind Ensemble performs at 3:00. It will be a great concert!
Counseling, Academics & Testing
Click Here For BVN's Counseling Webpage for information about:
- The schedule change period for this semester has ended. Only level changes and drops to a study hall are now allowed. Students may pick up a schedule change form in Student Services to request these changes.
- Senior scholarships can be found on Naviance Home page->College tab->Scholarship Search https://student.naviance.com/bluevalleynhs
- Juniors and Seniors can sign up to attend college admission rep visits to BVN - Naviance Home page->Colleges tab->College Visits https://student.naviance.com/bluevalleynh
- Junior College Planning Information here - College and Career Planning
- Visit the Counseling Virtual Calming Room
- Visit the Counseling Home Page to find additional resources or contact information for Counselors and other Student Services staff.
Questions? Contact Sarah King @ (913)239-3016 or SKing@bluevalleyk12.org .
Senior Information for the Class of 2022
Save the date for 2022 Graduation: Sunday, May 22, at 7 p.m. at the District Activity Center, 13310 Switzer, Overland Park, Kansas 66213. Rain date is Wednesday, May 25 at 6 p.m. There are no tickets required and there is no limit on seating.
Senior Info page: Click HERE to access:
- Info about what to do if you missed the Senior Class Photo on 2/22/22 . . . Deadline to submit your own photo is March 1
- Info about ordering your cap & gown--Seniors can check the list at Mrs. Miller's desk to confirm if they have/have not ordered yet.
- A link to authorize the release of your student's transcript for college applications
- Info about the Balfour shipping schedule
We will update this info page as decisions are made in the new few months.
Questions? Contact BVN Activities: Lisa Miller @ firstname.lastname@example.org .
BVN Bell Schedules ~ North Time cancelled on Fridays
When there are five days in the school week, the Bell Schedule will be Odd, Even, Odd, Even, Traditional Day. On Monday, Wednesday and Friday, school begins at 7:40 a.m. On Tuesday and Thursday, school begins at 8:25 a.m. (see below). If you want a copy for home, ask your student to stop by the BVN main office. It's also posted on the BVN website. When there are schedule changes due to a shortened school week, during finals, etc., it will be announced in North Notes and listed on the EKL calendar, BVN’s school calendar.
Update: On Tuesday & Thursday, North Time is now called Academic Support Time (AST).
Here is a link to the Bell Schedule which is on the BVN website: BVNBELLSCHEDULE .
Monday, February 28 is a Traditional Day, Hours 1-7
Tuesday, March 1, is ACT Testing Day for Juniors only. It is a No School Day for 9th, 10th, 12th graders.
Mark Your Calendar
February 25: Spring Sports Athletic Packets w/ Physicals due at 3:00 p.m.
February 28: Spring Sports begin
March 1: ACT Testing for Juniors/NO SCHOOL for 9th, 10th and 12th graders
March 11: NO SCHOOL/Professional Learning
March 14-18: NO SCHOOL/Spring Break
March 21: NO SCHOOL/Professional Learning
April 18-19: NO SCHOOL/Professional Learning
May 22: Graduation at 7:00 p.m.
May 24-26: Final Exams for underclassmen
May 26: Last day of school (tenative)
Upcoming All School Events
All BVN events, activities, sporting events and additional calendar adjustments are found on the EKL calendar: www.easternkansasleague.org
Spring Sports Physicals due Friday, 2/25, at 3:00 p.m.
Spring sports include Boys’ Baseball, Boys’ Golf, Boys’ Tennis, Girls’ Soccer, Girls’ Swimming and Diving, Girls’ Softball and Boys’ & Girls’ Track and Field. In order to try-out and begin practicing on February 28, physicals and completed, signed paperwork must be turned in. If your student played a fall or winter sport, their physical and all paperwork will already be on file. Forms are available in the main office by the receptionist desk, or can be downloaded from the BVN website>School Information>Activities & Athletics>Athletics>Useful Links>Participation Packet. Here is a link to the packet to print at home: Participation Packet .
The physical and participation packet has been updated for the 2021-22 season. Every student needs a new physical, every year, completed, signed and dated (May 1, 2021, or after) by a physician (Note: There are TWO places where the doctor has to sign and date the physical. Check this BEFORE you leave the doctor’s office!).
All forms need to be printed, read, signed by a parent and student, and returned to BVN. Completed forms can also be scanned together (no photographs accepted) and emailed to Teresa Anderson, BVN Athletics, email@example.com , or dropped off to the main office by your student.
If you have questions, please call Teresa Anderson at (913) 239-3011. Her hours are Monday-Friday, 7:30 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
Girls' Soccer Team Tryout Information
WHEN: 2/28 - 3/4, 3:15–5:30 p.m.
WHERE: BVN West Turf Field
Wear appropriate outdoor gear for the weather and remember it is easier to take off layers instead of being underdressed and too cold. Wear shin guards and cleats, a white t-shirt over your layers with your name on the back. Please bring your own water. YOU MUST HAVE YOUR PARTICIPATION PACKET TURNED IN TO OUR ATHLETIC DIRECTOR’S ASSISTANT, MS. ANDERSON, BY FRIDAY, 2/25 BY 3:00 p.m. *Information can be found below*
Questions? Contact Coach Terry Hair @ TMHair@bluevalleyk12.org or 913-481-3990.
Greatness Awaits You
Your BVN Soccer Staff is Looking forward to seeing you at tryouts
Varsity Coach: Terry Hair
Varsity Assistant Coach: Tom Holland
JV Coach: Abby Small
C Team Coach: Sara Collins
Boys' Tennis Team
We will have Boys' Tennis Team tryouts from 3:15 - 5:30 p.m., Monday-Friday, Feb. 28. - March 4, and will have a mandatory parent and play Zoom Meeting, on March 4, after practice from 7:00-8:00 p.m. All players interested in playing must come to the first practice and have all sports paperwork turned in to the BVN Office, even if they cannot participate in practice yet. We need to know who is playing and order uniforms. Questions? Contact Tracey Johnson at TDJLaw@hotmail.com .
Boys' Baseball Team
Questions? Email Coach Mike Dudley at MDudley@bluevalleyk12.org .
Boys' Golf Team
Questions? Email Coach Trent Hedlund @ THedlund@bluevalleyk12.org .
Boys' and Girls' Track and Field Team
Athletes need to meet at the track at 3:00 p.m. on Monday, 2/28. Questions? see Coach Fancher, after school, in Mobile 1, or email him at MFancher@bluevalleyk12.org .
Girls' Softball Team
Please reach out to Coach Stevie if you have questions: firstname.lastname@example.org .
Girls' Swimming and Diving Team
Tryouts will be from 3:00-4:45 p.m. on Monday 2/28, Tuesday 3/1, and Wednesday, 3/2. Questions? Email Coach Rob Cole at CoachRFC2@gmail.com .
If you have questions, contact Teresa Anderson, BVN Assistant to the Athletic Director, at 913-239-3011 or by email, email@example.com .
Fostering A Safe School Environment
Blue Valley Schools is committed to promoting and fostering a safe environment in and around all of our schools. Through the convergence of physical and intellectual security measures, we are continuously working to prevent, mitigate, respond to and recover from a wide range of emergencies. Please check out available ways to report safety concerns.
Are you moving? Have you moved?
Please contact the BVN Registrar, Suzy Doherty, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org .
BOYS STATE 2022 JUNE 5-11! “Boys State is a practical opportunity to learn leadership skills through role play civic exercise.” Applications are available for high school sophomores and juniors to attend Boys State 2022. You can find more information at https://ksbstate.org/. Boys State will take place on the Kansas State University campus. If cost is an issue, please contact the KS Boys State Main Office (see FAQs). Questions? Contact Catie Bosch, email@example.com .
COVID Close Contact Options updated (new)
Is Your Child Sick? Please read on....
Winter, colds, flu, and other viruses often come together. Germs from colds and other illnesses make their way into our workplaces, schools, and homes. If you have a child who is sick, we ask for your support by keeping them at home. District protocol requires students stay home until they are fever free for a period of 24 hours and or at least 24 hours since symptom resolution. If your child has been diagnosed by a physician with Influenza, please keep them home for five days following onset of illness or for the duration of illness if the case is immune compromised.
As you know, the health of our students is important to us. Thank you for your continued partnership as we work together to keep our kids healthy and in school.
School Nurse Information and Clinic Hours
The Nurse's office is open M – F: 7:30 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. It closes for lunch 10:00 - 10:30 a.m. except in the case of an emergency. Nurse Amanda Collichio is available to assist students with their health needs, first-aid and medical conditions. For help, contact Nurse Amanda at (913) 239-3013 or AJCollichio@bluevalleyk12.org .
Prescription Meds at BVN - Action Needed
This is reminder to parents: All prescription medications must be accompanied by this written authorization from a physician or other person licensed to prescribe medications, for the administration of that medication at school. All prescription medications to be administered at school must be in their original containers with the label intact. Students shouldn’t be self-carrying unlabeled prescription medications or any prescription medications. Questions? Email Nurse Amanda Collichio at firstname.lastname@example.org.
JOCO COVID-19 Updates
Please follow this link to the Johnson County COVID-19 website for current information.
COVID-19 Testing and Resources for BV Staff, Students and Families
Throughout this school year, Blue Valley’s priorities have been the safety of our students and keeping students in school and in person as we know this is critical to their long-term success and well-being. MAWD Labs is offering a local COVID-19 testing option that is available for students, staff and their family members. This option is available through a Kansas Department of Health and Environment (KDHE) grant provided directly to MAWD Labs.
Online scheduling and registration now available for COVID-19 Testing
Throughout this school year, Blue Valley’s priorities have been the safety of our students and keeping students in school and in-person as we know this is critical to their long-term success and well-being. MAWD Labs offers a local COVID-19 testing option available through a Kansas Department of Health and Environment (KDHE) grant provided directly to MAWD Labs.
New! Online Scheduling and Registration for MAWD Drive-In Testing Clinic
The MAWD Drive-In Testing Clinic now can accept online appointments and registrations.
- Step 1: Book an appointment online (up to 6 people per appointment/car)
- Step 2: If you have not done so already, create an online account for parent/guardian. Please note that to login into the account in the future, username is the parent/guardian email address.
- Complete a form for the child needing COVID-19 testing and submit. Create forms for additional household members by clicking “Add Individual.”
- Receive a QR code via email for each family member needing testing. Keep this code as it will need to be shown upon arrival for each appointment.
- Call (913) 239-4371 and leave a message if you have questions. Calls will be returned in the order received.
- Due to the high volume of testing, only current household members of Blue Valley students and staff are eligible to test at the MAWD Drive-In Testing Clinic.
MAWD Drive-In Testing Clinic: 14950 Newton Drive, Overland Park, KS 66223 (Northwest of CAPS on the Blue Valley School District Campus)
NEW BV MAWD Hours: *** BY APPOINTMENT ONLY or to drop off already completed test kits
The new hours will be:
- 8:00 - 4:30 M-F and
- 10:00 - 2:00 on Sunday
BV MAWD Hours for Spring Break: *** BY APPOINTMENT ONLY or to drop off already completed test kits
- Sunday, March 13 - Sunday, March 20 - Clinic Closed
- Monday, March 21 - Clinic Open 8:00 am - 3:30 pm
- Tuesday, March 22 - Regular hours resume
BV MAWD Hours for April's Professional Development Days: *** BY APPOINTMENT ONLY or to drop off already completed test kits
- Sunday, April 17 - Clinic Closed
- Monday, April 18 - Clinic Closed
- Tuesday, April 19 - Clinic Open 8:00 am - 3:30 pm
- Wednesday, April 20 - Regular hours resume
BV MAWD Hours for Last Day of School: *** BY APPOINTMENT ONLY or to drop off already completed test kits
- Thursday, May 26 - Clinic Open 8:00 am - 3:30 pm
BV MAWD Regular Hours: *** BY APPOINTMENT ONLY or to drop-off already completed test kits
- Monday-Thursday: 8am-6pm
- Friday: 8am-3:30pm
- Sunday: 10am-2pm
- MAWD Drive-In Testing Clinic will be closed whenever school is canceled for inclement weather.
- MAWD Drive-In Testing Clinic will operate on regular hours if there is an emergency closing for other reasons, such as high staff absences or transportation absences.
BV MAWD Courier Pickup Times:
- Monday-Thursday @ 11:30am and 5:45pm
- Friday @ 11am and 4:15pm
- Sunday @ 2:15pm
Normal dropoff hours at the MAWD Labs Headquarters: 11070 Strang Line Rd, Lenexa, KS 66215
- Monday - Friday: 8am-9pm
- Saturday/Sunday & Holiday Hours: 8am-3:30pm
- Inclement Weather Schedule
- The MAWD Drive-In Testing Clinic will be closed whenever school is cancelled for inclement weather.
- MAWD Drive-In Testing Clinic will operate on regular hours if there is an emergency closing for other reasons, such as high staff or transportation absences.
Additional information about MAWD’s Drive-In Testing Clinic is available on the district website. General COVID-19 resources from Johnson County Department of Health and Environment, community testing locations and vaccine information from Children’s Mercy can be found on the district website.
Blue Valley families can find a variety of COVID-19 resources on the district website including general COVID-19 information, community testing locations and vaccine information from Children’s Mercy.
What are the Symptoms of Depression in Teenagers?
Teens are often moody. That’s why it’s easy to miss signs that they’re actually depressed and need help. Symptoms of depression in teens include things like avoiding hanging out with friends and family and being sad or angry. Not doing well in school, sleeping a lot and eating more or less than usual can also be signs.
If you notice that your teen has been down a lot and lost interest in things they used to like doing, they may be depressed. The teen may not even be aware they are depressed.
To learn more about depression, please click on this link: DEPRESSION .
Durham Bus Riders
Durham will continue to transport our bus riders in the 2021-22 school year. If you have questions, please call Durham at 913-681-2492. The best time to call is between 9:00 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. when more staff are available to answer questions.
Durham Bus Services has three helpful tools for families with bus riders. Registration is required each year for families as bus routes and participants change:
- Bus Tracker: The Blue Valley Durham location will be using the Bus Tracker mobile app that is available for iOS and Android devices. To use the app, users will create an account that is tied to an email address of the user’s choice. The tool will allow account users to follow the route of a specific bus. Durham is updating daily when a scheduled backup bus is being used for a planned maintenance activity. If a bus is replaced with a quick turnaround due to an unforeseen event, Durham dispatch will make the switch on Bus Tracker at their next opportunity to update the app.
- Text Messaging: Families are still encouraged to sign up for Durham Text Messaging. The system is designed to share the “why” as Bus Tracker is designed to tell the “where”. To sign up for Durham Text Messaging visit www.bluevalleydurham.com.
- E-Link: Allows for verification of a student’s transportation information (i.e., stop location, bus # and pick-up and drop off times) based on the input of grade and home address. To access E-Link, go to www.bluevalleydurham.com.
Please take a look through the BVN Mustang Club's Winter Activity Guide! Here is a link to the on-line edition: https://anyflip.com/qzkqi/xqsn/
This is a great way to see photos of the athletic teams, activities & performing arts students, find out more about their coaches and directors, and read a greeting from the BVN Principal & the Mustang Club Presidents. Please take time to see the advertisements from our corporate partners and give them your business whenever possible. We thank them for their support of the Mustang Club and our Blue Valley North students. Enjoy!
We are Mustang Proud!
North Notes is published most Fridays during the school year. North Notes is a newsletter for the parents and students of Blue Valley North High School. If you have questions, please contact Janet Roush, Assistant to the Principal, at JRoush@bluevalleyk12.org .
BVN Main Office Hours: 7:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m., Monday - Friday
The Office will be closed March 14-18, during spring break.