Holly Academy News & Views
December 13, 2019
Coffee & Conversation
Each school day we are entrusted to provide a safe and healthy learning environment for our Huskies. Families expect us to keep their children safe from all threats including human-caused emergencies such as crimes of violence. Holly Academy staff has taken steps to plan for, and mitigate, these threats by being ALICE trained. We invite you to attend Coffee & Conversation on Wednesday, December 18th at 8:00am in the media center to hear how we ensure each individual knows his or her options for response and can react decisively in the event of an emergency. We hope to see you then. It’s great to be a Husky!
Did You Know...
Fun facts about the first grade team:
- Ellen Horton's oldest daughter is getting married in September, 2020?
- According to census records, Mrs. Baumler, her mother, and her great-grandmother are the only people in the U.S. with the name Thonila?
- Mrs. Fairbanks has a 20 pound cat?
In 2016, the Michigan legislature passed what is now referred to as he "Read by Grade 3" legislation. This law requires that students who are more than one year behind grade level in reading are subject to retention and additional supports to improve their reading level. This component of the law takes effect in the 2020-2021 school year, using assessment data from the spring 2020 testing.
What does this mean for students and families? At Holly Academy, students who struggle in reading receive individualized services based on their individual needs in reading. Through our intervention department, students who qualify receive specialized support in reading to assist them in achieving their goal of reading at or above grade level. Mrs. Craven and Mrs. Potteiger will be presenting an informational meeting for parents on the Read by Grade 3 legislation on Friday, January 31st at 8 am in the Media Center.
Amazing Holiday Hallways!
Brain Freeze Challenge
All K-8 students are invited to complete a brief Brain Freeze Winter Packet over the holiday break. If students complete and return the packet, they will earn a dress down coupon and two Husky Pride coins! Copied packets are available on the bulletin board near Mrs. McClelland's science lab.
Dec. 17 - Holiday sock day - students may dress down if they wear holiday socks.
Dec. 18 - Holiday accessory or flannel day - students may dress down if they wear holiday accessories or a flannel shirt.
Dec. 19 - Holiday top day - students may dress down if they wear a holiday top.
Dec. 20 - PTO dress down day - $1.00
- Dec. 17 - AAE/Pan Jams concert, 1:00pm & 6:30pm
- Dec. 18 - Coffee & Conversation 8:00am
- Dec. 19 - Band/Choir Concert, 1:00pm & 6:30pm
- Dec. 18 - 5th grade Mackinac fundraiser at Hungry Howies in Holly
- Dec. 20 - PTO dress down day, $1.00
- Dec. 22-30 - Happy Chanukah!
- Dec 23-Jan. 3 - No school, Happy Holidays!
- Dec. 25 - Merry Christmas!!
- Jan. 1 - Happy New Year!
- Jan. 6 - School resumes
- Jan. 10 - AR dress down day, $1.00
- Jan. 16 - PTO meeting at 8:00am
- Jan. 17 - PTO dress down, $1.00
- Jan. 20 - No school, MLK Jr. day
- Jan. 24 - Half day of school, dismiss at 11:30, free dress down day
- Jan. 29 - Board meeting in media center at 5:30pm
- Jan. 31 - Music dress down day, $1.00
When: June 22-26th, 2020
Time: 9am-3:30pm (before/aftercare is available)
Where: Holly Academy
For children entering grades K - 6
SAVE $25 expires 3/31/20. Promo code DSB25
SAVE $15 use between 4/1/20-5/12/20. Promo code DSB15
Secure your spot today hollyacademy.org/ci