AIS Friday Flash
Friday, April 29, 2022
Wow, what a fantastic community celebration today of our class projects about Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, & Math. The students did a fantastic job showcasing and presenting their work today. Bravo to our faculty members for their leadership and to the STEAM committee for putting it all together. Thank you to Mr. Olivier, Ms. Sandrine, Ms. Isabel, Ms. Virginie, Ms. April, and of course, our chair, Mr. Cédric. After a long time of not seeing our families in the building, it was so incredibly special to share this unique and mission-driven day with you all!
May Break/No School - Mon., 5/2
Our school will be closed on the first Monday of May for a school break.
Teacher Appreciation Week - 5/3 thru 5/6
Next week is Teacher Appreciation Week, so join us in appreciating and showing the love to our faculty for all their hard work, love, and support shown to our student body throughout the year. To make this easy and fun, the PTO has created daily themes to partake in. Participation is optional and can be the simplest of gestures, even a "thank you" is welcomed. We ask that you include each teacher your child will have on each day.
- Thankful Tuesday - Each student is asked to write a note or draw a picture on a small piece of paper to let each student know they are appreciated and what makes them special. There will be a jar in each room for students to drop the note in at the beginning of class.
- Wellness Wednesday - Share a candle, tea, lotion, or anything that makes someone feel welcome and special. We want the teachers to know we care about their well-being and want to offer them a little token to remind them.
- Taco Thursday, Feliz Cinco de Mayo! - The PTO will be providing a taco lunch bar for the teachers, thanks to your PTO donations. To make sure your children are a part of the day, we would like to ask each student to greet their teachers with "Gracias por ser mi maestro(a)" (Thank you for being my teacher). How fun to have every student take the time to thank every teacher in Spanish.
- Fruitful Friday - The tradition of giving an apple to a teacher started in the 1700s. Families in Denmark and Sweden gave teachers baskets of apples and potatoes as payment for teaching their children. Please have your child bring in a fruit-themed pastry, candy, or healthy fruit. It is just a "sweet and fruitful" gesture to say, "Thank you, you are appreciated". This can be homemade or store-bought, just remember AIS is a nut-free campus.
Head of School Coffee - Thur., 5/5 9:00 - 10:00 am
Come join us for an in-person Head of School coffee on Thursday morning, May 5th at 9 am for a community gathering in our courtyard.
Middle School Bake Sale Benefiting the CM2/Middle School Dance - Fri., 5/6
You may have taken advantage of the mini bake sale today. The Middle School students will host another one next Friday, May 6th. They are raising funds to throw an amazing 5th grade and Middle School Dance which will be held on the evening of May 27th. To support the cause, the school will donate $500, and we will also pass on the proceeds from the upcoming Spirit Night at Hat Creek on May 25th to the event as well! Thanks for supporting these students!
Spring MAP Session-5/9 through 5/20
Hello parents! As the year winds down to the final month, we're looking ahead to our final MAP session of the year. The Spring 2022 session will be from Monday, May 9th to Friday, May 20th. This final session will help to demonstrate the progress across this year for your student from Fall 2021 to Winter 2022 to Spring 2022.MAP Assessments are an adaptive, objective tool that helps to effectively measure student progress. This tool is great because the results will show where a student's strengths lie, point to what specific areas may need reinforcement, and give helpful suggestions as to where a student needs to go next. Be on the lookout for a detailed schedule with specific testing times from your student's class.
PTO Cabi Event & Fashion Show-RESCHEDULED: Tue., 5/17 6:30 pm
The Cabi event originally scheduled for this Saturday has been moved to Tuesday, May 17th at AIS. Ladies, come to enjoy a Cabi Fashion Show hosted by Cabi stylist and AIS parent, Jill Jacobs-Tunks. Get yourself or that special mom in your life some fantastic new wardrobe finds and visit with other AIS moms. We will have sips and snacks and 30% of profits from the event will be donated to the AIS PTO.
Gala Middle School Matinee-Thur., 5/19
We were a bit shy of our minimum but are booking the fun Matinee for our Middle School students planned for early evening on May 19th. We are awaiting some confirmation details from the Alamo Drafthouse and will follow up with those families who registered or emailed as soon as we hear back.
Peace, Love, & Rock n Roll Run - Fri, 5/20
Each year we host a FUNd Run to promote healthy activity and as a mini fundraiser. It is our students' favorite event of the year and is not to be missed! Students run as many laps as they can around our school in 1 hour (30 minutes for pre-K). Our goal for this final fundraiser of the year is to raise $13,250 in sponsorship and donations. (Registration fees cover the cost of the shirts).
Students will run during the day at the following time slots and parents are welcome to come at these times to help cheer them on.
- PS/MS TBD stay tuned
- GS/CP 10:30 – 11:30
- CE1/CE2 12:00 – 1:00
- CM1 & up 1:30 – 2:30
- Register your student here. Registered participants will receive a groovy run shirt, tie-dye sunglasses, and a pedometer watch to track their run!
- Donate to support our school. You may donate on the same event page in advance, or students may gather pledges and donations from friends, family, and neighbors in either flat amounts or per lap amounts. Hard copy pledge forms will be passed out in student backpacks next week and you can direct your guests to give online with the same link. OR
- Consider being a Fund Run Family Sponsor. A sponsorship donation of $250 will help us offset some of the other event supplies so we can fully recognize race donations. Family sponsors will receive 2 adult race shirts, 2 water & mister bottles, 2 sunglasses, and inclusion on our event banner.
For more information, review the email sent out today and click on the events page using the QR code below. Donations and sponsorships can be made all online, but complete the registrations first before adding other items to your cart. For any questions, reach out to April.
Summer Camps at AIS
AIS has once again partnered with Kidz to Pros (KTP) who will hold their own KTP Summer Camps at Austin International School this summer. Please note that KTP is renting the school and they are responsible for all registration, staffing, and camp curriculum for these camps directly. Take advantage of an AIS discount with $75 off using code FLY75. Kidz to Pros camp serves students aged 6 to 14 years of age.
AIS Adventure Camp for MS & GS-Register by May 6th
AIS will conduct our own summer camp for students who will be entering MS PreK 4 and entering GS, Kinder students next school year. The AIS camp will be offered in French and English and will have arts and crafts, sports, and S.T.E.A.M. themes. Campers must be registered for a minimum of two weeks.
- Our MS camp will be a half-day camp from 9 am to 12 pm for $175/week with optional early drop-off for $50/week. Maximum of 15 campers, minimum of 8. No after-camp care available. Sign up quickly as spots are filling up.
- Our GS camp will be a full-day camp from 9 am to 3 pm for $315/week with optional early drop-off for $50/week. Maximum of 15 campers, minimum of 8. No after-camp care available. Sign up quickly as spots are filling up.
- Discounts for campers registered for all 6 weeks.
Register to join us for our AIS Adventure Camp here before Friday, May 6th.
Save the dates
Mark these important upcoming dates on your calendars.
- 5/2 May Break/No School
- 5/3-5/6 Teacher Appreciation Week
- 5/5 Head of School Coffee
- 5/9-5/17 Middle School Galapagos Trip
- 5/17 Rescheduled Cabi Fashion Show
- 5/9-5/20 Spring MAP Assessments
- 5/19 Middle School Gala Matinee
- 5/20 Peace, Love, & Rock & Roll Fund Run
- 5/25 Spirit Night at Hat Creek
- 5/27 8th Grade Graduation Ceremony
- 5/27 CM2 & Middle School Dance
- 5/30 Memorial Day/No School
- 5/31 5th Grade Achievement Ceremony
- 6/1 Spelling Bee
- 6/2 PTO Coffee/Spirit Day-Krispy Kreme
- 6/3 End of Year Community Picnic
- 6/4 French Elections
- 6/6 Report Cards Sent
- 6/7 Field Day
- 6/8 Last Day of School