Washington County 4-H Update
May 27, 2016
Want to get a head-start on your Washington County Fair projects? We want to help!
- Animal Science Day Camp : June 1st - Lots of hands-on learning about meat cuts, genetics, careers & more. REGISTRATION DEADLINE: May 30. 9a-4p. $20/youth.
- ACME Rug Workshop : June 7th - Crochet fabric rugs from recycled fabric pieces.
REGISTRATION DEADLINE: May 30. 10a-12p. $15-$20/youth.
- Grow a Garden : June 8th - Become a pro-gardener and donate your produce during this 6 week program series. REGISTRATION DEADLINE: May 30. 8a-11a. $5-$10/youth.
- MCC Culinary Institute Camp : June 13-16 - Come hangout with a top Chef in a studio kitchen. You make it, you eat it! Lunch and travel provided everyday.
REGISTRATION DEADLINE: June 1. 9a-3p. $135-$145/youth.
Looking for more summer opportunities? Check out the full list here. And remember, every clinic offered presents an opportunity to complete a county fair project entry!
2016 Washington County Family Livestock Judging Contest
The Washington County 4-H Council invites all 4-H families interested in spending time together and evaluating livestock to attend the 4-H Family Livestock Judging Contest. 4-H clubs and individuals are also welcome and encouraged to take part in this family event!
2016 WASHINGTON COUNTY 4-H HORSE PROJECT DEADLINES
ALL paperwork MUST be submitted to the Nebraska Extension Office in Blair
by the set deadline to be eligible to exhibit. NO EXCEPTIONS!
WEDNESDAY, JUNE 1 DEADLINE
4-H HORSE PROJECT MEMBERS NOT ENTERING STATE & DISTRICT HORSE SHOWS
• 4-H Member Online Enrollment
• 4-H Horse Identification Certificates
FRIDAY, JULY 1 DEADLINE
4-H HORSE PROJECT MEMBERS ENTERING FREMONT 4-H FAIR
• 4-H Horsemanship Level Tests I, II, III & IV
FRIDAY, JULY 22 DEADLINE
4-H HORSE PROJECT MEMBERS ENTERING WASHINGTON COUNTY FAIR & AKSARBEN 4-H HORSE SHOW
• 4-H Horsemanship Level Tests I, II, III & IV
Want to provide leadership or build leadership skills? Now is your chance!
WASHINGTON COUNTY 4-H COUNCIL BALLOT
There are FOUR ADULT openings for the Washington County 4-H Council. The 4-H Council encourages any adult who has a shared interest in youth development and would like to assist the Washington County Extension 4-H Staff in the promotion of 4-H and to help plan and carry out the various activities pertinent to the Washington County 4-H Program to consider running for the Washington County 4-H Council. In addition, there are SIX YOUTH openings on the ballot for enrolled 4-H members who are currently 14-18 years old on January 1, 2016 who would like to take part on this leadership experience.
Elected adults will serve a two-year term from November 2016-October 2018 and the elected youth will serve a one-year term from November 2016-October 2017. Voting will take place during the Washington County Fair from Saturday, July 30-Wednesday, August 3. Check the 4-H Office on the fairgrounds for the location of the ballot box. Adult council members will be voted on by currently enrolled Washington County 4-H leaders/volunteers. Youth council members will be voted on by enrolled Washington County 4-H leaders/volunteers and enrolled 4-H members who are eight to 18 on January 1, 2016.
If interested in providing your leadership and/or building your leadership, contact the Nebraska Extension Office in Washington County at 402-426-9455 to get your name on the 2017 Washington County 4-H Council Ballot BY FRIDAY, JULY 22.
Washington County 4-H Shooting Sports - BB Gun
The Washington County Fair 4-H Shooting Sports BB Gun Contest will be held on Saturday, July 23 in the Commercial Building at the Washington County Fairgrounds in Arlington. There will be six flights to choose from and include: 8 a.m., 9:15 a.m., 10:30 a.m., 1 p.m., 2:15 p.m. and 3:30 p.m. NOTE the MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS TO COMPETE: Shooters must have attended ONE hour practice session of safety and competition overview every THREE years with a 4-H Shooting Sports Certified Instructor. The Washington County 4-H Shooting Sports BB Gun Certification data base is available at the Nebraska Extension Office in Blair.
Contest entry deadline is Monday, July 11 by 5:00 p.m. Completed entry forms are to be submitted to the Nebraska Extension in Washington County Office – Blair. For more details, refer to the 2016 Washington County Fair Book (http://goo.gl/pofkOJ)
2016 BB GUN PRACTICES SESSIONS:
NOTE: Practice sessions may be combined or canceled due to low or no preregistration.
Saturday, June 4 – 8:00 a.m. & 9:30 a.m.
Washington County Fairgrounds, Commercial Building
PRE-REGISTRATION REQUIRED: By contacting the Extension Office (402-426-9455) by Thursday, June 2 at 5:00 p.m.
Saturday, July 2 – 8:00 a.m. & 9:30 a.m.
Washington County Fairgrounds, Commercial Building
PRE-REGISTRATION REQUIRED: By contacting the Extension Office (402-426-9455) by Thursday, June 30 at 5:00 p.m
Do you know of a local farmer, neighbor, gardener, or orchard that has excess produce?
STATEWIDE 4-H ACTIVITIES
Livestock & Small Animal Clinics, Workshops, and Programs
- Lively Livestock Progress Show - May 27-28
- 2016 Beef, Swine, Goat & Sheep Aramas - May 29-29
- South Central NE Livestock Clinic & Contest - June 1 @ Bladen, NE
- Midwest Livestock Jackpot Shows - June 3 & 4 @ Seward, NE
- South Central NE Livestock Exposition - June 4 @ Bladen, NE
- Sheridan County 4-H Progress Show - June 5 @ Gordon, NE
- Nebraska Youth Range Camp - June 6-10
- Winners Unlimited Livestock Judging Camps - June 7-9 and June 11-13
- Ft. Robinson 4-H Horse Camp - June 9-11
- Bit N Spur 4-H Pre-District Horse Show - June 11 @ McCook
- Free Fitting & Showing Clinic - June 11
- Bridle & Saddle 4-H/Open Horse Show - June 11
- Regional Dairy Goat Youth Show - June 12
- Perkins County 4-H Horse Show - June 18
- PASE/LIFE Challenge - June 19 through June 21
- Buckle Up Show Camp - June 24 @ Geneva
- Holdbrook Days Pre-Fair Show - June 25 @ Holbrook Park
- Wheeler County Progress Show - June 25
- The Final Drive Sheep & Goat Progress Show - June 25 @ Geneva, NE
- Papio Valley Market Broiler Show - June 25
- Papio Valley 4-H Show - June 25
- Advanced Beekeeping: Pests & Disease Diagnostics - June 25
- District Horse Show Dates and Locations
- June 13th - Kearney
- June 14th - Chadron
- June 15th - McCook
- June 16th - Leigh - WASHINGTON COUNTY ASSIGNED
- June 17th - Bloomfield
- June 21st - Lincoln
- The 2016 Nebraska State Horse Show will be held on July 10-14 at Fonner Park in Grand Island, NE.
NDA Seeks Poultry Photos
The Nebraska Department of Agriculture is offering the Poultry Calendar Phot Contest again this year. They are seeking poultry photos from current 4-H and FFA members to be used in the 2017 poultry calendar. The contest rules can be found at: http://www.nda.nebraska.gov/animal/avian/contest/contestrules.pdf and the entry form can be found at: http://www.nda.nebraska.gov/animal/avian/contest/contestentryform.pdf
4-H Camp Counselors Needed!
Youth ages 15-18 are an integral part of the 4-H Camp program. If you know of youth that have great leadership skills and are looking for opportunities to grow their skills while working with younger youth, encourage them to become a 4-H Camp counselor. Being a 4-H Camp counselor is a great opportunity to refine and gain new leadership skills, as well as, build lasting friendships, gain confidence, and experience the outdoors all while having a fun experience.
4-H Camp Counselor and Leader training takes place on May 31-June 4th. The training provides counselors with knowledge and skills to be a successful counselor while at camp. Youth will learn valuable youth development concepts, leadership skills and how to handle difficult and emergent situations.
For more information, visit http://4h.unl.edu/summer-camp/employment
Are you completing community service projects? Brag about it!
P.A.S.E. & Life Challenge
Want some new information on the P.A.S.E. & Life Challenge? Here ya go!
Premier Animal Science Events (PASE) is a two-day event designed to help you learn about issues related to the animal industry, explore career opportunities that are available, compete with other teens from across the state and have FUN! The event is sponsored by Nebraska 4-H, the College of Agricultural Science and Natural Resources, the University of Nebraska-Lincoln and Nebraska Investment Finance Authority. Opportunities at PASE include livestock, meats, and poultry judging contests, as well as livestock skill-a-thon and quiz bowl. Youth can participate in more than one contest or event as their schedule allows.
Life Challenge is a two-day event designed to help youth learn about issues related to Family and Consumer Sciences, explore career opportunities that are available, compete with other teens from across the state, and have fun! Opportunities at Life Challenge include family and consumer science team problem solving challenges, social activities, and campus tours. Youth can participate in any or all of these activities.
This year’s event will be held June 19-21 and the deadline to register through the Nebraska Extension Office in Washington County is JUNE 1. For a schedule of events, go to: http://4h.unl.edu/paseschedule & http://4h.unl.edu/lifechallengeschedule
Diamond Clover Recognition
Now is the time to complete the "PLAN" part of the project!
The Nebraska 4-H Diamond Clover Program is designed to encourage 4-H youth to engage in a variety of projects and activities that will enable members to acquire the life skills necessary to lead successful lives as competent, caring and contributing citizens. The program’s overall goal is to provide 4-H members a rich and diverse learning experience.
The program consists of six levels that require a 4-H member to plan and report a broad range of age-appropriate accomplishments. The program is designed to enable every 4-H member willing to exert the effort an opportunity to be recognized, regardless of how they are involved in 4-H.
Please visit our website for more information.