JSD Year 1 Newsletter
Week Ending Friday 10th January 2014
We hope you all had a wonderful break and enjoyed some time with family and friends over the last few weeks.
Year 1 would like to wish you a very happy and healthy 2014.
It has been lovely to see the children back at school and eager to learn. Although it has been a short week, we have already been working hard.
In Literacy we talked about our holidays and shared with our friends what we had been up to. After that we wrote about our favourite parts and drew a picture too. Later in the week we made our news into a video report using the iPads.
In Numeracy the children have been busy estimating and weighing items using scales and non-standard units such as cubes.
We have introduced the children to our new topic 'We are TV chefs' by looking at the various utensils and equiptment found in a kitchen and information books about food.
As it is a new term we will be starting some exciting new topics.
In Literacy we will be concentrating on writing instructions through cookery and poetry through our senses.
In Numeracy we will be:
- Recognising zero
- Reading numbers to 100 in words and figures
- Grouping in tens
- Understanding positions 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc up to 20th or last
- Say number in between 2 given numbers
- Know addition facts for pairs up to 10
- Describe positions using: above, below, beside, left and right
- Describe direction and movement by using: forwards, backwards, up, down, left and right
In Science we will be investigating materials and changes that take place during the cooking process such as melting, boiling, freezing etc.
In ICT we will be looking at technology in cooking and creating our own short videos. These videos will show the children following a video to create a simple but healthy meal or snack.
In our Humanities lessons we will be looking at the origins of food, where it comes from and the various foods associated with different countries.
In Art and Design Technology the children will be making some large models related to our topic. They will focus on collaborating with others, on projects in two and three dimensions and on different scales.
In our PSHE sessions the children will be thinking about themselves, learning from their experiences and recognising what they are good at. They will become more aware of their personal targets and also their achievements.
- We would like to welcome James into D1LS. The children have already been helping him to settle in quickly.
- As the weather is likely to get colder the children will be needing hats, gloves and scarves to keep them warm at playtime. Please ensure all of these items are clearly labelled with your child's name.
- As our topic is based on food around the world and cookery, we were very much hoping that some parents may like to volunteer to do a simple cookery demonstration for the children. If you are willing to come in and do this please speak to a member of the Year 1 team so we can arrange suitable times.
Have a lovely weekend,
The Year 1 Team