GVES Weekly Announcements
April 24, 2020
Happy Friday GVES families!
Our week in distance learning ‘world’ gave us many opportunities to be grateful for our Earth! It was so wonderful to virtually see our students celebrate Earth Day through their creativity and caring selves. Next week, we are looking forward to recognizing our 3rd-graders by hosting our very first Jaguarmax assembly webinar style! Fourth and fifth-grade Jaguarmax nominees will get a shout out in class meetings and certificates will be emailed home too. We’re putting finishing touches on our district plan for teacher and student collection of materials, the return of technology, and end of year calendar. Keep your eyes peeled for communication from Dr. Bertrando. Lastly, please find the important note about elementary grading for the remainder of the school year below. We continue to be grateful to all of you in these unexpected times as we continue to raise our kids together in this virtual environment!
Mrs. Jones & Mrs. Conley
ELEMENTARY GRADES - MOVING FORWARD
GVES FRIDAY LOOM
Our 4th Grade Team "HEARTS" their students!
3rd Grade Save the Date!!
Save the date! We would like to invite all third-grade students to attend the Jaguarmax Assembly via webinar on Wednesday, April 29, 2020, at 11:00 a.m. as we recognize students for the themes, Leadership and Perseverance.
A link to access the assembly will be shared through alma a day prior to the event. Your child’s homeroom teacher will be reaching out to families whose children will be recognized. All certificates will be emailed home after the assembly.
Thank you and we look forward to sharing this event with our students, families, and staff.
CURRENT SCHEDULE FOR ON-LINE LEARNING
CURRENT SCHEDULE OF DUE DATES
YEARBOOK ORDERING INFORMATION!
DEADLINE IS APRIL 30!
Calling all home learners!!! We need your help to make this section of the yearbook. Please send us photos of your child doing their at home learning. Don't forget their fun recess photos!!! Additionally, if you have any pictures from school events such as Band/Orchestra/Chorus concerts, Bingo Night, Math/Science Night, Class Parties, Field Trips, MLK Week, Book Fair, etc. we would love to have them for the yearbook. All photos can be emailed to email@example.com ordering is open.
Online yearbook ordering is open. Simply visit www.barksdalephoto.com. Use order code 08050YB. Since school grounds are closed all yearbooks must be shipped to home. See attached flyer for more information.
STAFF APPRECIATION WEEK:
Our GVES staff has been ZOOMing into action to enrich our children's lives. Staff Appreciation Week 2020 begins on May 4. Here's how you and your child can let the staff know how much they are appreciated (See Attachments for more details):
- Have your child write the staff a note (feel free to use the attached template) letting them know how much your child appreciates them. Feel free to personalize it further by coloring it or drawing a picture.
- Take a picture of your child/family holding a sign expressing appreciation to the staff.
- Creativity is encouraged! Paint a picture, chalk on the driveway, make words out of playdough or legos. (Don’t forget to sign your masterpiece.)
- Family participation is encouraged!!! Parents-the teachers would love notes and pictures from us as well!
- Feel free to do any or all these ideas. Take a picture of anything you do and email it to Mrs. Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org. She will be compiling everything into a video slide show for the staff of GVES. This includes homeroom teachers, special area teachers, paraprofessionals, therapists, cafeteria staff, nurse, guidance, and administration.
- Everything must be sent to Mrs. Smith by Thursday, April 30th by email at email@example.com!!
- During the week of May 4th send a staff member a virtual cupcake. Any staff member sent a virtual cupcake will receive a real cupcake once restrictions are lifted. Visit https://forms.gle/o9LCsMdTPhyxrP2F7
Please feel free to contact us with any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org
DISPLAY MY ART:
Get those creative juices flowing! Keep the kids busy and foster their creativity while supporting the school. The entire family can participate! This is a great time to create family collaboration art pieces.
1. Visit http://www.displaymyart.com and print the art paper template (located under "resources"
2. Create your masterpiece (FREE art projects are available on http://www.displaymyart.com)
3. Take a picture or scan your art
4. Email your masterpiece along with your order to email@example.com (they will contact you for payment once the image is processed). Provide them with our school name, teacher, and grade so the school gets the credit.
Free shipping through April 24 for Mother's Day and Father's Day gift giving!
Garnet Valley CTC Quick Tip #32 – Navigating Covid -19
Did you know? If you are feeling anxious, fearful, stressed, and even deeply
saddened due to Covid-19, you are completely normal and in good company with
most of us. What can we do to frame our thoughts and feelings in a more positive
direction during this difficult time? Why is it so important? Because our children
are watching and learning about how to navigate adversity from us. As Nellie
Aspel, Director of Exceptional Children said, “I have been telling our folks that
during this crisis the students may forget what they said during a virtual lesson but
they won't forget that they were made to feel loved, cared for, understood and
Call to action… We are in a unique position to show our students and our
children that we know that bad times don’t last, good people do. We can
champion the skills that develop from adversity. We can acknowledge that tough
times reveal what is most important and provide opportunities to have a fresh
start. And we can still have fun and good times during a pandemic. For more
thoughts please click on the link below.
Click the Seesaw or Schoology image to check for service interruptions
Tech Support Link
additional learning resources
ATTENDANCE DURING ONLINE LEARNING - UPDATE
Attendance will be reported on a weekly basis. A student in grades K-5 will be considered present when a completed parental verification of attendance is received. The form will be emailed on Mondays following the week of instruction. You will receive the third form on Monday, April 27th to confirm attendance for the week of April 20th to April 24th. This verification form includes a space for you to indicate a reason for missed days of “school.”
If you do not complete the attendance form by Wednesday you will receive a reminder email from Mrs. Centone or Mrs. Smith with the form attached again. If you would like to verify your child's attendance it will be current/accurate on ALMA Thursday of each week.
Our secretary Mrs. Centone will keep track of attendance. If you have any questions, please email her for clarification. firstname.lastname@example.org