Volume 2, Issue 22
Hello, Badgers! It has been a long and eventful week here on our campus. We have just a few more weeks until we will all get a relaxing week off to spend with our families. Today, I want to thank each member of our Willkie Family for always giving their all. I value and appreciate every single one of you. I would like to encourage you all to let your students know that you believe in them, help them engage in learning, teach them to reach for their goals, and continue to lead them to success. Sometimes all these students need is someone to believe in them. Have a wonderful weekend!
Our Week At A Glance
- Instructional Rounds- Great volunteer learning opportunity during your conference / 237
- One Act Play Performance for Staff / Cafeteria / 4:30
- Tennis vs. HMS / @ HMS / 4:00
- Band Rehearsal / 3:30 - 6:00
- One Act Play Public Performance / Cafeteria / 6:30
- 7th & 8th Academic Team vs. Wayside / @ Wayside / 4:00
- 8th Grade Students / MM & Health / Katie & Melissa
- Elisha / District Meeting / All Day
- Elisha / District Meeting / PM
- Band Skating Party / Rollerland West / 4:00 -7:30
- Early Release @ 12:30 / Campus Professional Development in Library
- UIL Competition / Creekview
- UIL Competition / Creekview / 8:00 am
- "The feedback students give teachers can be more powerful than the feedback teachers give students." - Cris Tovani
- We have early release next Friday. We will celebrate in the morning with our students and Christie will send you the details regarding the celebration soon. We will begin our professional development at 12:50 in the library. Para's, your attendance in this meeting is not necessary. Some of our teachers will be at CMS on Friday with UIL; those teachers will need to plan to get with me regarding the professional development they are missing on Friday afternoon.
- Open House is approaching quickly. Please make sure you have it on your calendar as it is an all hands-on deck event for our campus. Also, please make sure you have something to showcase that evening for your class. As always, feel free to decorate the hallways with student work.
- Please remember that when we wear jeans for spirit days and/or on Friday's that you wear an Ed Willkie, EMS ISD, or a college shirt.
- Our 8th grade ELAR team will begin STAAR interventions during advisory for students that have been identified based on our recent benchmark beginning next week. This will not take place on Tuesday or Thursday. If this impacts you, Tamara and/or Waine will be communicating with you. Thank you in advance for your flexibility!
- When teaching your Lions Quest lesson this week invite your students to say what they hope to learn in a Lions Quest lesson and then follow up with clearly articulating the purpose of your activity/lesson. Thank you for all you are doing to implement Lions Quest with fidelity.
- I want thank the staff for being so flexible and understanding with our fine arts department. Their UIL preparation and performances are much like the STAAR tests as they are the summative assessment for those teachers and students. For many of our students, fine arts is the reason they enjoy coming to school.
- There is a new process coming your way on how to handle grade inputting for new or transfer students. Be on the look out!
- Please share our Instagram account ED_WILLKIE_MIDDLE_SCHOOL with all of your students as we have so many great things going on that I want all to see. Please also continue to send me pictures of moments you capture that you would like me to share on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter.
Meet the newest baby Badger!
Tru Love Delgado Jr.
Sarah and Tru are doing great! He's 8 lbs 3 oz and 21 inches long.
Important Upcoming Dates
- 3/3 & 3/4 - Elisha / TMSA Conference
- 3/7 - Open House/Showcase 6:00 - 7:30 & Counselors Parent Mtg. 7:30 - 8:00
- 3/8 - TELPAS Reading Test
- 3/9 - 6th & 7th Grade Shut Down STAAR Math Benchmarks
- 3/10 - 6th & 7th Grade Shut Down STAAR Reading Benchmarks
- 3/14 - 3/18 - Spring Break
- Katie Munk - Thank you for your creative ways to encourage student and parent attendance at the CTHS Showcase!
- Amy Huddleston - Thank you for being such a team player and always keeping the students best interest at the forefront!
- Kellie Dixon & Dawn Reynolds - Thank you for having amazing attitudes when you are asked at the last minute to attend an ARD and for always turning in your thorough student observations before the date that they are due!
- Christy Brewer - Thank you for your flexibility when requested to serve on an ARD at another campus at the last minute!
- Karen Walters & Kayla Bradford- Thank you for monitoring our students at lunch when we are in a bind!
- Meredith Walling - Thank you for your hard work coordinating UIL for our campus!
- UIL Coaches - Thank you so much for taking time to coach, practice, encourage, and teach our students who are competing next weekend! Go Badgers!
- Christie Warden - Thank you for your flexibility and being available for our teachers at 6:30 am as well as after school for TELPAS!
- Ashley Velasco, Jen Mobley, Jen Fifer, and Laura Ortiz - Thank you for supporting Camp Goddard and staying after work to serve our parents!
- Thank you CPAC members for your time and energy. It is greatly appreciated!
- Bri Perry - Thank you for your patience and perseverance in a difficult TELPAS situation!
- BJ Kiser - Thank you for covering classes for us as needed!
- Efren Martinez - Thank you for taking such great care of the coaching staff and gyms all throughout basketball season!
- Danny Knowles & Christie Warden - Thank you for hosting AP lead on our campus!
- Tywanna Jones & Daryel Sellers - Thank you for opening your classroom up to many visitors so that AP's in our district could continue to learn through the ICLE- rigor, relevance, and learner engagement process. Enjoy your $100 gift from central office!
- Jennifer Smith - Thank you for your willingness to allow Lions Quest to video your lesson!
- Richard Cox - Thank you for jumping right in with 7th grade ELAR and learning from and with your team so that you can meet the needs of our students!