Puritan Marriage Customs
- saw marriage as a contract not for religious beliefs.
- marriage should only be performed by officer of the state.
- did not have arranged marriage, promoted true love
- had a strict courtship to get to know each other
- had to ask parents permission to marry a girl
- before marriage the two kept a physical distance
- they punishment for intercourse was strict and often worse for men than women
- weddings weren't lavish (fancy)
- ceremonies do not feature vows or rings
- after the couple signed the court registry, a small dinner would follow