Space Race vs. Cold War
What are the parallels?
1958: The USA launches the first American satellite to reach orbit, which leads to the discovery of the Van Allen radiation belt.
1958: The USA forms NASA, which replaces the former program NACA.
1960: John F. Kennedy is elected the 35th president.
1961: Yuri Gagarin, from the USSR, is the first man to orbit in space.
1961: President John F. Kennedy addresses Congress and challenges the nation to go to the Moon before the end of the decade.
1963: President Kennedy is assassinated.
1969: Neil Armstrong and Edwin Aldrin are the first men to walk on the moon.
Parallels between The Cold War and The Space Race
- Both of them were between the Soviet Union and The U.S.A
- Both of them were mainly about the difference between Capitalism and Communism
- Each nation wanted to win and have supreme power over the other
- The distrust between them never swayed
- Both of them risked lives on both sides