FAMILY PLACE NEWSLETTER
- Mandatory education fair February 1-29, 2016. Located in classroom #2. Education is self paced.
- February OB Drill - CPR and NRP
- Glucose Management Protocol go-live February 15th
- Vial to Bag conversion roving in service February 29-March 3, 2016. We will have champions to validate staff and all RNs will be required to watch a video and complete quiz
- Are you interested in being a clinical coach. Upcoming class February 16th and 17th from 8am to 4:30 pm. Must register in PIL (competent clinical coach).
- HBU Student clinical rotation begins February 1st
PCM/ FETALINK REMINDERS
- Every monitor strip should be finalized/disassociated every time you complete your monitoring.
- If you fail to disassociate a patient and someone else comes and associates a new patient and disregards the alert for previous history, they will be “merged” and if not corrected before finalizing 2nd patient is likely to never be retrieved appropriately.
- There are many times a nurse will fail to sign off before leaving and will stay signed in for multiple days or multiple patients later. This can cause legal issues later as anything done during this time will be credited to the nurse who is still signed on even if she wasn’t working.
Remember to sign off of fetalink
SWEET BEGINNINGS UPDATE
The task force met in January, and here are some updates from the meeting:
- Voids and stools are charted in the delivery record if you are looking for them.
- L&D charts breast feeding in real time (so end of breastfeeding is when it is documented). Family place staff will need to subtract the amount of minutes from the time entered in the computer to get the time BF was started.
- Always record baby weight in grams. Provides consistency.
- Newborn notifications are done by the L&D nurse for both vaginal and c/section deliveries. There are still issues with understanding Dr. Egbe/Dr. Powells coverage.
- Report is taking too long to give. L&D nurse is having to wait when she may need to return to her other patient. Family Place nurse needs to do a quick check on mom/baby and receive report from L&D. The full assessment should wait till after report has been received.
- C/S babies that are taken to the nursery immediately in distress are not admitted in the computer. The nursery can do a bedside glucose check but is not able to send a serum to the lab.
- We will discuss at Perinatal Quality meeting about what babies go to NICU and what ones go to Routine.
- Nursery phone number (6988) now rolls over to 5742.
- OB ED go live scheduled for March 2016. Need to push the cord blood process and C/S deliveries staying with their mom to June/July. L&D will also have to increase its staffing prior to starting.
- For C/S or any baby coming straight to the nursery, the L&D nurse can leave the crib in the nursery for them to use when baby is ready to go out. Not every baby is coming to the nursery so the build up of cribs in the hallway is minimal.
ACTION PLAN FOR GOALS
- RN Communication – continue with Celebrate Teams / Language of Caring
- Discharge – Labrita and Anita have started to see all discharges during the week / Charge nurses during the weekend!
- Breastfeeding – starting February 15th – Plan reviewed in staff meetings this month!
- MD order required for formula
- Patient Breastfeeding Pledge
- Staff Commitment
OB EMERGENCY DEPARTMENT
opens March 29th – will give updates as it approaches!
TYLENOL #3 CLARIFICATION
- It is the physician discretion of what to order for pain relief at discharge. We must give our patients written instructions on their medications, and there is some wording on the discharge instructions that has been requested to be changed by our Women’s council. In the event your patient voices concerns based on the information we are providing, you can refer them to their physician for questions.
Thank you all for your diligence!
WORKDAY Go LIVE FEBRUARY 8th!!!!
1. We will be moving to a new and improved HR System called Workday (MSS and ESS included). It will have a lot more functionality and accessibility to information
2. AskHR will become HR Shared Services: Previously, ask HR comprised of a group of benefits administration experts. We have expanded this team significantly with expertise in ALL realms of HR and renamed it, HR Shared Services. HR Shared Services will be your new single point of contact for all HR support. Below are a few of the general topics HR Shared Services can assist employees with:
- How to find information or transact in Workday
- Compensation, benefits and enrollment, paid time off
- Leave management, disability
- How to update or change your personal information
- Workplace concerns/employee relations
- HR policies, procedures and practice
3. Changes are effective Monday, February 8th
4. Hours are Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 5 p.m.
5. You can submit questions after hours via email on the all HR portion of In Site
6. Phone number for employees remains the same: 713.456.MHHR (6447)
Referral Bonus have started – see below and see email for details!!!
- Please email/call/tell Mary if you are interested.
- Meet three to four times – 1st meeting 3/2/16 at 0715 for staffing/scheduling requests.
- Trading Calendar – NOW AVAILABLE IN THE BREAK ROOM
Have an unexpected wedding or birthday party? Thanks to your engagement team, You will see a calendar in the break room for you to write your name if you want the day off and trade with someone. You can look and help your friend out if you are free or maybe you wanted a different day off that week. Overtime rule applies
- Budget time!!!! Equipment Wish List
Please post your wish list item in the break room behind the door on our unit wish list form. This doesn’t guarantee things, but we will certainly consider all requests
The Superstars of the month!!!!
Ema and Erika most recognitions from our patients. So Fabulous! Keep it up!!!