Bonny Slope Elementary
June 22, 2022
Dates To Remember
8/11 BSCO Summer Playground Meet up 4:30-6:30 pm
8/18 BSCO Summer Playground Meet up 4:30-6:30 pm
8/27 BSCO Summer Playground Meet up 9:30-11:30 am
9/1 Family Engagement/Meet Your Teacher 4:30-6:00 pm
9/1 BSCO Picnic 5:00-7:00 pm (field)
9/5 Holiday/Labor Day
9/6 First Day for students Grades 1-5
9/6 Welcome Back Coffee for Parents -Cafeteria 8:30-9:30 am
9/8 First Day for Kinders Last Name A-L only
9/9 First Day for Kinder Students Last Name M-Z only
Events will be posted on our online calendar thruout the summer ...please check back often for current updates.
You can also view up to date calendar information in Parent Square.
PRINCIPAL AND VICE PRINCIPAL'S MESSAGE
Dear Bonny Slope Families,
It is with great appreciation that we write our final Paw Prints note. After all of the celebrations over the last couple of weeks, from Field Day to the Talent Show to the 5th grade Party, we reflected on the amazing community that we have been privileged to serve over the past years.
I doubt none of us will ever forget the journey we took together when COVID started and forced our school online. It was challenging to take what we loved about our school and bring that to an online setting. What we thought was weeks turned into months. Through all of the twists and turns, and bumps in the road, one thing was clear: our community came to support our efforts with grace and understanding. This grace and understanding was evident in so many ways …
- when we had a massive technology hand out event at our school and you drove to pick up a device for your student to learn ….
- another day when after cleaning out desks, you came to pick up your student’s belongings from the previous year …
- when we called to inform you that your student was a close contact with someone who tested positive and your student needed to go home to quarantine …
- when we asked you to to have your students bring in towels to sit on during lunchtime, first outside and then in the hallways ….
- when we needed to quarantine an entire class over a series of days to prevent further spread ….
- when we needed to severely curtail parent volunteering, a beloved activity by many of you
We couldn’t have predicted any of these events happening, and all of you accepted it and walked with us during these challenging times.
Over the past couple of weeks, we finally had events that involved our entire school (not including our monthly fire drill!). Witnessing our students enjoying Field Day was truly pure joy, even the rain soaked event in the afternoon, which didn’t stop our upper elementary students one bit.
Despite this ravaging pandemic, our students are strong and moving forward in their learning. We attribute this to two factors: our fantastic staff and your unconditional support. Although we are sad to leave, we leave knowing that our community is strong and our school is strong.
We hope you have a great and relaxing summer!
Janet Maza and Jim Hiller
Cedar Mill Summer Library Reading
The Cedar Mill & Bethany Library May K-5 Newsletter is here- we have Summer Reading program information, new booklists, and info on upcoming events for all ages!
Youth Services Librarian
Jog-A-Thon Thank You!
THANK YOU, Bonny Slope, for an amazing Jog-A-Thon. Not only did we successfully return this beloved tradition to campus, your families showed up in a HUGE way.
🌟 91% school participation
🌟 ALL classes above 80% participation
🌟 $78,230 raised for BSCO
🌟 Over 1,000 miles ran
And how about a shout out for the amazing effort these kids put in?!
- Top BSE lappers: Winners earned a night out at KingPins or one month membership at Skyhook
- Zackary Meyer (5th grade) with 18 laps
- Noah Durst (3rd grade) with 16 laps
- Avery Bodenlos (4th grade) with 15 laps
- Grade divided top lappers: Winners were awarded a "Top Lapper 2022" medal
- 5th Grade: Zackary Meyer (18 laps), Cora Kash (14 laps)
- 4th Grade: Boys tied (15 laps) - James Barker, Joshua barker, Henry Strauhull, Owen Patterson & Avery Bodenlos (15 laps)
- 3rd: Noah Durst (16), Siena Ruiz (14)
- 2nd: Luke Geddis and Mason Parkin (14), and Aanya Katarya (14)
- 1st: Dashiell Lee (14), and Hunter Lee (14)
- Kinder: Otis Cianci, Benson Phan, and Michael Psihogios with (13), and Lyla Knecht, Emerson Nilan, Maya Cruse, Dahlia Ugarte and Avery Smith with (12)
- Top Fundraisers with over $1,000 each. WOW! The top earner won a family night at DEFY, and the runners up earned gift cards to Picolo Mondo.
- Top Fundraiser: Alexander Kuzmanich
- Runners Up: Sarit Dunbar-Siegel, Angel McVay, and Aya Idriss
- Top Earning Class: Mrs. Henely's class - Squishies for everyone!
- 70 students raised $300+ and qualified for a Play Fit Fun event
- 223 students raised $150+ and qualified for an ice cream party
- 406 students raised $50+ and will get a pop-it keychain
Thank you for your support. Thank you to the volunteers who made it happen. And thank you to all those kiddos who ran their hearts out!
We'll see you on the track next year!
Your 2022 JAT Team
Summer Food Service
This summer, children can access free breakfasts and lunches through the federally-funded Summer Food Service Program sponsored by the BSD Nutrition Services Department. All children, ages 1 through 18 years, are eligible. There is no application or registration required. Children must be present and eat all meals on-site. Adults are welcome to purchase and enjoy a meal with their children. Breakfast is $2.75 and lunch is $4.75.
For more information, up-to-date serving times and a map of Summer Meal Service sites, visit the Summer Meal Service webpage.
School Supply lists are out for next school year (2022-2023). You can find lists on our website here:
You may also order online thru Schoolhouse Supplies Online and have supplies delivered to your student's classroom in the fall.
Bonny Slope Elementary
Principal: Janet Maza
Assistant Principal: Jim HIller
11775 NW McDaniel Rd.
Portland, OR 97229