Third Grade Cardinal Chronicle
February 5, 2016
Mrs. Krapinski's Class
Follow us on Twitter: @skrapinski
TONIGHT IS Family STEAM Night!!!!
Upcoming Dates to Remember
Feb 1-19th- Pennies for Patients
Feb 5th- Family STEAM Night
Feb 12th- Valentine's Day Party 1:45-2:45
Feb 15- No School
Feb 16- Flex Day
ISTEP applied skills- Beginning of March
IREAD- Mid March
ISTEP multiple choice- April
Caring By Sharing
This year the third grade will be doing a "caring by sharing" campaign to celebrate Valentine's Day. We would like to put together care packages for a local organization that helps the homeless in the Indianapolis area. If you would like to donate to this cause, please send see below for the items we will be collecting.
Bousman: 2pk adult tube socks
Krapinski: reg. Size deodorant- antiTransp.
Johnston: wet wipes
Muegge: small lotion/lip balm
Thank you for helping our children see the happiness of helping and caring for others.
Pennies For Patients
Thorpe Creek Elementary students will be taking part in the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society’s (LLS) Pennies for Patients program from February 1-12. During this program, students will collect money to support LLS’s mission: to find cures and ensure access to treatments for blood cancer patients. Students will learn about service, leadership, philanthropy and how they can make a difference by changing patients’ lives. TCE has its own online giving page that students, parents and faculty can share with friends and family: http://events.lls.org/pages/in/ThorpeCreekElementarySchool
Thank you in advance for helping LLS to create a world without blood cancers!
For more information on the Pennies for Patients program, please visit http://www.studentseries.org/
Activities for the second week:
Feb. 8th – bring in more spare change throughout the week
Next Week's Special Area Classes
- Monday- Day 5 Art
- Tuesday- Day 6 P.E.
- Wednesday- Day 1 Music - Bring recorders!
- Thursday- Day 2 Art
- Friday- Day 3 - P.E.
Here's What's Happening in Mrs. Krapinski's Class
ICE CREAM FLOAT PARTY!
- We will continue learn about figurative language and look for it in our everyday reading.
- We will continue working on test taking skills...what good reader's do ALL the time.
- We will continue small reading groups. :)
- Students will continue to learn about strategies when reading independently.
- We will continue our daily 5 activities where we will read, write, and do word work.
- Students will have their Wordly Wise vocabulary test over lesson 3 on Friday
MATH MEDICS (3RD GRADE)
- Students will continue to find equivalent fractions using a number line.
- We will be comparing, adding and subtracting fractions.
- We will also be investigating mixed numbers on a number line.
- We will continue with math workshop where the students practice math alone, with partners, and in groups while I get to know the students better as mathematicians.
- We will continue to solve real world problems using many different strategies that we have learned through exploration and through watching others
MASTER MATHERS (4TH GRADE)
- Students will complete Topics 11 & 12 this week
- Study Guide on Wednesday and Test on Thursday
- We will be looking at how to respond to a question about a reading passage.
- We will learn how to compare and contrast two stories or articles based on similar topics.
- We will continue to write about topics of our choice.
We will wrap up sound and light! Next week we will begin to do some activities to give us that hands-on connection with both sound and light.
NEWS FROM THE THORPE CREEK OFFICE
BOX TOPS AND LABELS FOR EDUCATION
Hello TCE Parents!
We are doing an amazing job this year! We have collected over
Box Tops and
Labels for Education since June! (WOO-HOO!)
To help motivate you and your children to continue to collect and submit these valuable pieces of cardboard and labels, I’d like to remind you all about a series of contests that have been implemented. Please see below for the details …
Each student who turns in Box Tops and / or Labels for Education will be entered into a drawing, of which 3 lucky students (chosen at random) will receive a goodie bag! The top collector will also be awarded an amazing prize! As an added bonus, I will keep track of what was turned in by who so that the class with the most submitted by the end of the year (for each grade!) will receive something special!
Please be sure that the Box Tops and Labels for Education are taped on their respective pages (or that they are in a sealed baggie) and that your child’s name, grade and teacher’s name is put on the page. Thank you, in advance for your efforts!
Winter Contest (December - February)
Collection Deadline: Friday, February 19th
Winners announced: Friday, February 29th
Spring Contest (March - May)
Collection Deadline: Friday, May 12th
Winners announced: Friday, May 19th
I will be picking up the Box Tops and Labels for Education on Friday afternoons so please feel free to turn in your sheets as you complete them and I promise to keep a running total for your child!